Brighton's Best Manager

Brighton's Best Manager

• Mike Bailey - Highest ever league finish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I didn't like the guy, but McGhee needs to be added. He got us promoted and saved us from relegation the following year.

Coppell, Wilkins and Cattlin were my favourite managers who failed to achieve promotion, but got us playing some superb football.

I don't really remember Mullery, but I think he was probably the greatest manager this club has ever had.

Micky Adams was responsible for two promotions in my eyes, as Peter Taylor (the 2nd) won promotion to the Championship with Adams' team. Taylor was not a great manager as we've seen at subsequent clubs.

Barry Lloyd was extremely lucky that he gambled on bringing in John Byrne and Mike Small, both of which clicked with each other and subsequently got us into the play offs in the old second division...Again, didn't like the guy as a manager. He treated one of our greatest players (Garry Nelson) dreadfully.

However, I guess my favourite just for the football we played and the players he attracted to the club was Poyet.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Given what he had to work with, I've voted Barry Lloyd.

Unlike Mullery, Bailey and Melia and Poyet, Lloyd was constantly having to sell his best assets and deal with a lot of strife off the pitch. Like Adams, he carefully managed what he had. To get us to within 90 minutes of top flight football given those constraints, my vote goes to him.

Not the most popular guy - didn't make the most popular decisions - but he kept us going.

I understand voting for LLoyd. He did achieve one of our best finishes and coming from a non-league club Worthing he really excelled, but he did lose the plot later on. I guess if we're voting for specific season finishes then it would be Mullery or LLoyd but I think Poyet despite all his foibles is the best we've had. He really had a whole club approach and as brilliant as Tony Bloom has been, including in appointing Poyet ahead of more experienced candidates, if Gus hadn't applied I don't think we'd be where we are now. We needed someone aggressive, confident and proactive and for me he was the perfect appointment at the time we most needed it. A sad ending to his time here but I thinkk history will show he was the best manager we ever had despite not quite achieving what Mullery did.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I didn't like the guy, but McGhee needs to be added. He got us promoted and saved us from relegation the following year.

Coppell, Wilkins and Cattlin were my favourite managers who failed to achieve promotion, but got us playing some superb football.

I don't really remember Mullery, but I think he was probably the greatest manager this club has ever had.

Micky Adams was responsible for two promotions in my eyes, as Peter Taylor (the 2nd) won promotion to the Championship with Adams' team. Taylor was not a great manager as we've seen at subsequent clubs.

Barry Lloyd was extremely lucky that he gambled on bringing in John Byrne and Mike Small, both of which clicked with each other and subsequently got us into the play offs in the old second division...Again, didn't like the guy as a manager. He treated one of our greatest players (Garry Nelson) dreadfully.

However, I guess my favourite just for the football we played and the players he attracted to the club was Poyet.

Agree with everything you say except about Lloyd. he didn't gamble on Byrne and Small. He knew they were class acts and had realised that the best way to improve on the cheap was to get english players abroad who were decent. He may not have been hugely successful as a scout for Brighton in later years but he was brought back for that reason. We had no right to be playing Notts County in that play-off final with the resources we had. Lloyd made that happen. One thing he wasn't was lucky.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Steve Gritt

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Mullery first
Broad daylight second
Poyet third

Can't understand voting for Lloyd myself. He also led us to two relegations. No other Brighton manager suffered that indignity.

Personally, I think that Lloyd staved off the Steve Gritt years for as long as anyone could. We were already a basketcase when Lloyd came in.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
Mullery is the best manager albion ever had.The choice for second is a tougher choice but my pick would be Gritt.Not only the situation on the pitch but all the other crap going on,including a lot of initial hostility from some parts of our fanbase,ending with the most mental awayday in my albion supporting life.i know the rest of his tenure was not great but what he did that season was sensational

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Given what he had to work with, I've voted Barry Lloyd.

Unlike Mullery, Bailey and Melia and Poyet, Lloyd was constantly having to sell his best assets and deal with a lot of strife off the pitch. Like Adams, he carefully managed what he had. To get us to within 90 minutes of top flight football given those constraints, my vote goes to him.

Not the most popular guy - didn't make the most popular decisions - but he kept us going.

It's all very we saying Barry Lloyd took us within 90 minutes of the top flight, but it's not as if his managerial reign ended in 1991.

Lloyd had two relegations against his name, with one promotion. I appreciate the times in which he operated were hard, but his is not the record of a best ever manager.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It has to be Peter Taylor, for bringing us Peter Ward.

So why isn't he an option? :tantrum:

Peter Taylor: signed some good players, but also signed some duds. Did not have the motivational ability to get Brighton promoted from Division 3.

That's why.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's all very we saying Barry Lloyd took us within 90 minutes of the top flight, but it's not as if his managerial reign ended in 1991.

Lloyd had two relegations against his name, with one promotion. I appreciate the times in which he operated were hard, but his is not the record of a best ever manager.

I'm not sure you do.....

He had little or no chance during the relegation season's, operating with his hands tied. (Can you imagine what someone like Poyet would have been like in the press. The fans weren't that supportive either.

However, IMO the best manager must be Mullery. Great football......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Peter Taylor: signed some good players, but also signed some duds. Did not have the motivational ability to get Brighton promoted from Division 3.

That's why.

If memory serves me correct, he could hardly win a game away from home... though of course did beat Palace.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm not sure you do.....

He had little or no chance during the relegation season's, operating with his hands tied. (Can you imagine what someone like Poyet would have been like in the press. The fans weren't that supportive either.

However, IMO the best manager must be Mullery. Great football......

Relegation in 1986/87 was not inevitable. He inherited a team well clear of relegation and then took over three months to record a victory.

Relegation in 1991/92, a season on from the play-off season, was also not inevitable, despite losing Byrne and Small.

Still, I agree that Mullery was the best. Incredible energy and motivational powers.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
It's Mullery for me, yes Taylor brought Ward to the club but Mullers got the club to the top div. and by then most of the players had been brought in by him including IMHO the best player to wear the stripes M. Lawrenson. Yes he didn't win any titles but the football played over those 3 seasons was on an excitement level that has only come close to being equaled by the 2 Champs of the Zamora years.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Relegation in 1986/87 was not inevitable. He inherited a team well clear of relegation and then took over three months to record a victory.

Relegation in 1991/92, a season on from the play-off season, was also not inevitable, despite losing Byrne and Small.

Still, I agree that Mullery was the best. Incredible energy and motivational powers.

Then we disagree :smile:

The team he inherited was in a downward spiral with some fairly average players.

As soon as he lost Small and Byrne and was told to cut the wage bill, ending up with Meade and Gall (??) if memory serves me correct, we'd had it. Really if we are honest Lloyd over-achieved with what he had he previous season. we made the play-off's with a negative goal difference.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I added Barry Lloyd for the very reason that history showed he had more problems to deal with than probably any other manager and still got us within a shout of the premiership (Notts first goal was from a corner that should've have been a goal kick!)

However my vote is Mullery. My first year or supporting the club and going to virtually every home game started at the beginning of his first season and that was the start of a 7 year golden period culminating in the cup (and relegation).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here