Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Manager

Brighton's Best Manager

• Mike Bailey - Highest ever league finish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Precisely. Gus was good, but was pretty much lost the moment we went a goal behind. What was it - 40 odd games failed to win from going a goal down? Quite frankly a dismal record, and says a lot about his management style - that stat has continued at Sunderland. In that sense, it appears he is a bottle job and lacking in alternative tactics, something you couldn't implicitly suggest of Mullery.

Also, Creaky suggests Mullery wouldn't work with modern day football, probably correct - but Gus wouldn't work well with 70s footballers. Entirely different contexts, you can't judge it on that. Besides, football is riddled with managers who have won promotion from the third tier but proved fruitless elsewhere.

Fair enough if you're factoring in both contexts, the players at their disposal, the investment they received, etc. you're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, Mullery was a better manager, regardless of the way Gus left our club.

This and more.
Once we went a goal down with Poyet,that was it.
With Mullers,you were never absolutely sure what would happen,but it would be full of excitement and more often than not,a result ensued.
I know who I would like next to me in the proverbial trenches.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This and more.
Once we went a goal down with Poyet,that was it.
With Mullers,you were never absolutely sure what would happen,but it would be full of excitement and more often than not,a result ensued.
I know who I would like next to me in the proverbial trenches.

True this, remember the game against Millwall where we were 2-0 down at halftime? Mullery refused to let the players go into the changing room at half time and sent them back onto the pitch for the whole break. We won 3-2

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
. Why is the choice yours and not a general one. No Peter Taylor, Chris Cattlin, Peter Taylor or Mark McGhee or even Russell Slade. There's not even a choice for "any other". Infant school stuff.

Instead of making infantile comments why didn't you post a poll listing all Brighton Managers then? Chris Cattlin never won a thing for us although we did have some great players, Peter Taylor merely inherited a good side and only added Junior Lewis! Mark McGhee could possibly have been included but I didn't! I could have included the promotion managers for every Brighton promotion or whenever we came close!

Having said that, do you rate Cattlin, Taylor, McGhee or Slade higher than the achievements of Mullery or even Poyet?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mullery and Poyet have a lot in common, not the least that they were both sacked by the club!

Mullery should never have got the sack for a lack of commitment in early 1987. What a farce!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here