Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton won't be bullied into selling Caicedo

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Sanchez was in Spain's World Cup squad in Quatar. Kepa wasn't. The Spanish Manager obviously thinks Sanchez is the better keeper, probably Ben Roberts too.

Expect Sanchez to be Chelsea's number 1 within weeks.
Hasn’t been picked since the WC. That tells a story.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Glad TB has shown he won't be pushed around this summer.

Bear in mind in a year's time (whether Moises is here or not) we'll probably be going through a similar issue with a club trying to get Fergusson, Ensciso, or Mitoma off our hands.

Good to lay our marker down to tell the sharks if they want our talent then they will have to dig deep.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

Bear in mind in a year's time (whether Moises is here or not) we'll probably be going through a similar issue with a club trying to get Fergusson, Ensciso, or Mitoma off our hands.

Good to lay our marker down to tell the sharks if they want our talent then they will have to dig deep.
Absolutely correct. Imagine how much better Southampton's recent history would have been if they hadn't caved-in a sold every decent young player they developed. If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be embarrassed about the whole Caciedo saga and being made to look like mugs by Albion. I'd also be asking questions about their club's inability to think beyond grabbing assets from Brighton.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022

They will never sign one of them if they cannot spell his name correctly - the contract will be void.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
As Chelsea have just signed another 2 players in last 2 days for c£60m, do they have the financial clout / ffp etc to spend another £100m, as I thought selling Mount, Havertz etc was all about balancing the books?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As Chelsea have just signed another 2 players in last 2 days for c£60m, do they have the financial clout / ffp etc to spend another £100m, as I thought selling Mount, Havertz etc was all about balancing the books?
They are now in a new ‘rolling 3 year’ FFP phase. Mount & Havertz probably balanced the books for 2020-2023 as they were sold prior to the cut off. They can blow huge amounts of money this window for the 2021-2024 phase as long as the balance it off by the end of June next year.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
True but by the time international break came around I think he had already been dropped.
Yep. And I’m sure the Spanish head coach was mightily impressed with his lack of fight to regain his place here.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Despite their established big six bias, every time i've seen sky discuss Caicedo, they have seemed to defend Brighton's positions, and not suggested we're being unreasonable or getting above ourselves, etc. It's quite refreshing.
Same with Talksport. The reality is social media Is mostly driving the 'keeping a player against his wishes, over priced' narrative and that is largely down to two or three gonads with large followings and a bunch of people from Africa and the Middle East. Anyone sense can see the ball is entirely in our court.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Chelsea are so boring now.

Boring boring Chelsea. Universally loathed by just about everyone in every division, 2nd only to Leeds in this feat. Which is ironic given they ‘hate’ each other too.

Special club that Chelsea. And not in a good way.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sanchez was in Spain's World Cup squad in Quatar. Kepa wasn't. The Spanish Manager obviously thinks Sanchez is the better keeper, probably Ben Roberts too.

Hasn’t been picked since the WC. That tells a story.

True but by the time international break came around I think he had already been dropped.
He had been dropped by us but was still in the Spanish squad to play Norway and Scotland in March this year.

Kepa actually got called up to the squad for those games , having not been selected for the World Cup, and started both games due to injury to Unai Simon.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If we believe ( no reason not to) that MC is pocketing 60 grand + a week, he’s 21, and guaranteed first name on the team sheet, with a Europa League run next season, I’m not convinced he’s pushing too hard to go.

The only verifiable quotes from him regarding the situation, was the interview with the Ecuadorean journo, before he joined the team in the States. He seemed very laid back about the whole thing. Even his agent doesn’t seem to be putting pressure on the club to agree a deal with Chelsea, not like the efforts in January to join Arsenal.
I may be just building my hopes up, but, if he stays another season, has a great season in the PL and Europe, he will become attractive at any price for the biggest clubs here and in Europe.

I don’t think he’ll go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely correct. Imagine how much better Southampton's recent history would have been if they hadn't caved-in a sold every decent young player they developed. If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be embarrassed about the whole Caciedo saga and being made to look like mugs by Albion. I'd also be asking questions about their club's inability to think beyond grabbing assets from Brighton.
Of the top of my head VVD and Lallana pretty well downed tools to force the transfers through didn’t they? Saints also got top dollar too didn’t they? Not sure what you can do if players down tools - see Trossard and Sanchez

Chelsea can have Moises if they pay TB’s price, whatever that is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jason Burt of the DT is a brilliant football writer and now a insightful guest. Disregard the lies and clickbait from internet ‘transfer experts’, Jason in two minutes told us all we need to know.

It’s been repeated by many all summer on nsc …. Caicedo will only leave for £100m. The Rice fee confirmed the benchmark.

Bloom and Barber won’t be irritated one bit by Winstanley’s hopeless game of incremental bids to suck up to Boehly that he’s the man :wanker:. Consigning each bid as ‘noise’ worthy of the Outlook bin.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Kepa wasn't picked for the Spain squad because he wasn't playing for Chelsea at the time, as Mendy had taken his spot.

As soon as Sanchez lost his spot to Steele, he lost his Spanish squad place.

You don't get picked as Goalkeeper for the Spanish national team if you aren't playing regularly for your club.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Kepa wasn't picked for the Spain squad because he wasn't playing for Chelsea at the time, as Mendy had taken his spot.

You don't get picked as Goalkeeper for the Spanish national team if you aren't playing regularly for your club.
Wish Southgate would do the same.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Kepa had regained the goalkeepers spot from Mendy prior to the World Cup. He’d played in all the Champions League games and the previous 5 Premier league games until Chelsea played against us. He was subbed off at half time allegedly injured and didn’t play in the next 2 league games and the last Champions League group game before the WC break.

However even if he’d not gone off at half time against us he probably still wouldn’t have made the Spain squad as Sanchez and Raya had been the back up keepers for a while and deserved to go as both were playing regularly. Kepa was recalled for the first internationals after the WC as Unai Simon was injured, ultimately this injury probably saved Sanchez from an immediate dropping from the Spanish squad as he’d already been dropped here by the time that squad was selected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As reported elsewhere, the plan is buy like mad bastards, put on long contracts, then jog on with 40 top players while under transfer embargo and having paid a £5 fine.

The problem will be that the squad will be unmanageable.

As Potter discovered.

Far Kem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here