Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton station trouble

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spot on. As i stated earlier i managed to speak to a Southern Rail worker after the trains westbound from Brighton were cancelled. I asked why the service was not running and why the trains were so poor without prior notice. He said that the service had not been cut but that many staff had phoned in sick. So yes, planned disruption, max annoyance/ impact.

So mainly down to the staff in this case then.......this kind of attitude, coupled with SASTA's complete incompetence, leaves us passengers stuffed. Not that either side give a **** as they pursue their personal agendas.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it is fairly clear that Brighton home games are being used as high-profile events to deliver a non-service at short notice. This is part of a strategy in the union's battle with the employers and we are caught in the middle.

Expect more 'sudden' staff absences next time we play at home in the evening.

As widely discussed on the main SASTA/strikes thread, the strikes are largely ineffectual. Those who can work at home, do so. Those who can't find themselves on relatively empty trains that run more punctually and with less last-minute cancellations than on non-strike days.

Until such time as the drivers are able to also strike, the union and their supporters don't have many more weapons available to them so what you've described would seem quite feasible I guess.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think it is fairly clear that Brighton home games are being used as high-profile events to deliver a non-service at short notice. This is part of a strategy in the union's battle with the employers and we are caught in the middle.

Spot on. Straight after the final whistle 5 trains are cancelled and 3 speed through Falmer towards Lewes without stopping. Whilst I have no doubt that the management at Southern are as useful as Anne Franks drum kit, it's clear there was a piss take going on from the staff to prove some kind of point. Well, good for them but don't expect me to have much sympathy.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's going to take someone to die before anything changes, whether that's a passenger or staff member I don't know..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yes. If you grind all your goodwill out of your staff this sort of thing tends to happen to voluntary duties.

It shows that relying on volunteers from a workforce that you don't treat well is not a great business strategy.

They either need more full time staff, or they need to somehow get back the goodwill.

So other than trying to bring in this change in the role of the guard on a train service (without removing the guard from the train) what else had Southern done to treat their staff badly before this dispute started?

Are you sure it isn't led by the union trying to force the rail operator to work their way for fear of future job losses from these changes (job losses which may never happen even with this proposed change) Stoking up ill feeling towards the employer by playing on the fear aspect (unless we take action, you will be sacked type narrative?)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Spot on. As i stated earlier i managed to speak to a Southern Rail worker after the trains westbound from Brighton were cancelled. I asked why the service was not running and why the trains were so poor without prior notice. He said that the service had not been cut but that many staff had phoned in sick. So yes, planned disruption, max annoyance/ impact.

Careful thats libellous :facepalm:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Did anyone here the woman from SASTA on BBC Sussex this evening trying to defend their actions? I only caught the end of the interview but when pressed about whether this would happen again in the future she seemed to say that they would review their commitment to the club for evening games as they do not have the 'flexibility' to run the services for the football matches. No direct blame for the unions although she did say that they did not get the number of staff needed to work rest days.

If Barber was listening to this, then their meeting this week could be interesting.

Well Im sure Paul will be reducing the cheue to Southern and running more buses if the club had prior notice. Even 24hrs. He could also gontoe to toe with sky and ask that if they do wamt to **** around with home games make it a 12.15 or 5.30 sat ko.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did anyone here the woman from SASTA on BBC Sussex this evening trying to defend their actions? I only caught the end of the interview but when pressed about whether this would happen again in the future she seemed to say that they would review their commitment to the club for evening games as they do not have the 'flexibility' to run the services for the football matches.

Wonder how long it'll be before Southern start closing Falmer station for midweek matches for safety reasons? They've done it before, for the Fatboy Slim gigs. It would seem the next logical step, if they can't provide anything more than a threadbare number of trains to service a 30,000 crowd after a match. At least everyone would then know well in advance where they stood and could try and work around it. Certainly they can't risk too many repeats of Friday's debacle.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wonder how long it'll be before Southern start closing Falmer station for midweek matches for safety reasons? They've done it before, for the Fatboy Slim gigs. It would seem the next logical step, if they can't provide anything more than a threadbare number of trains to service a 30,000 crowd after a match. At least everyone would then know well in advance where they stood and could try and work around it. Certainly they can't risk too many repeats of Friday's debacle.
They'd have to refund the club the money paid to Southern for the transport zone if they did that.

As long as they run a token number of trains to Falmer station they don't have to.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So other than trying to bring in this change in the role of the guard on a train service (without removing the guard from the train) what else had Southern done to treat their staff badly before this dispute started?

Are you sure it isn't led by the union trying to force the rail operator to work their way for fear of future job losses from these changes (job losses which may never happen even with this proposed change) Stoking up ill feeling towards the employer by playing on the fear aspect (unless we take action, you will be sacked type narrative?)
I have anecdotal tales from a Southern employee ( who by the way is the least militant employee on the planet ). Very trustworthy person as well.

Also if you look at how badly that Southern treat their customers, it is no stretch to think that they are not exactly employer of the year when it comes to staff relations.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yeah well in that case i have no sympathy with the pricks......the club need to demand a cash rebate for the villa game 50k should suffice......it's not as if the owners cant afford it....they're already multi......ffs.

Jul 7, 2003

I think that person was spinning you a line. If that was the case, then I'm sure that the spokeswoman from SASTA would have had that down as the number one excuse for the lack of service when interviewed and in the subsequent comments from Paul Barber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here