Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton shirts - plain v striped

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Same here. I love the stripes but never got more excited about an Albion kit than this one. I think it was down to the fact it was Adidas and completely unique.... I think.

Oh and I was 12 at the time!

I never realised it was unique. That was the first replica kit I ever had, aged about ten or eleven I guess. I loved it. I can still remember the Adidas packaging it came in from the club shop and my excitement at getting one. I wish it hadn't got thrown away as I grew out of it :)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I never realised it was unique. That was the first replica kit I ever had, aged about ten or eleven I guess. I loved it. I can still remember the Adidas packaging it came in from the club shop and my excitement at getting one. I wish it hadn't got thrown away as I grew out of it :)

I may of course be wrong. I'm sure an aficionado will let us know.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is what a proper kit (and proper footballer look like)

8CC93766C64A4E21B02F93B89A7B_h498_w598_m2.jpg

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Bukta kit is the one I always think of as the best. Perhaps because it was worn when Wardy was in his pomp. Maybe because it was the first one I had (though it was a bit scratchy).

Others have said that it depends when you first went as to which you prefer, but my first three seasons were all very different - the blue shirt with white sleeves, then all white, then stripes. I actually like the two blue options, but not all white (too much like dirty Leeds). The one thing for certain was that I didn't like the all blue shirts.

As for the Ajax style. Didn't Birmingham have shirts like that once? And it's a no from me for a sash!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Same here. I love the stripes but never got more excited about an Albion kit than this one. I think it was down to the fact it was Adidas and completely unique.... I think.

Oh and I was 12 at the time!

I liked this one as well, but preferred it with the Phoenix Brewery logo for obvious reasons!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Bukta kit is the one I always think of as the best. Perhaps because it was worn when Wardy was in his pomp. Maybe because it was the first one I had (though it was a bit scratchy).

Others have said that it depends when you first went as to which you prefer, but my first three seasons were all very different - the blue shirt with white sleeves, then all white, then stripes. I actually like the two blue options, but not all white (too much like dirty Leeds). The one thing for certain was that I didn't like the all blue shirts.

As for the Ajax style. Didn't Birmingham have shirts like that once? And it's a no from me for a sash!

Birmingham have only ever had it as blue with a thick white vertical stripe. Only team I can think of with the Ajax style (but with blue instead of red) is Magdeburg but I'm pretty sure they don't have that design these days.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I started supporting the club in the early 80's so would not be too upset if we went to an all blue top but I like the stripes.

I feel very much like you really. My first Albion match was in the 1983/84 season, the first season we were sponsored by Phoenix Brewery, so that to me was THE Albion kit, and l love those plain blue shirts to this day.

However I' a great one for tradion, and realise that in our formative years we have always warn stripes, so l guess that's the way things should continue.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Birmingham have only ever had it as blue with a thick white vertical stripe. Only team I can think of with the Ajax style (but with blue instead of red) is Magdeburg but I'm pretty sure they don't have that design these days.

The problem with the central stripe is similar to the difficulty with the sash. It's a bit, er, Crystal Palace ...

CrystalPalace1971_600x480.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Birmingham City has a 'penguin' shirt...

_48701483_bluestf.jpg

... as did Carlisle United

soccer-carlisle-united-photocall-brunton-park-stadium.jpg

Incidentally, there's an ex-Brighton player and a future Brighton player in that picture. Can you name them?

Easy - Eddie Spearritt (middle row, third from left) and Graham Winstanley (middle, third from right).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When Freddie Goodwin became manager he changed to all white with blue trim as he wanted ux to belike Leeds and hopefu.lly play like Leeds
I know I shall get slated for this but it is a fact that when Greg Stanley took over as chairman he wanted to change our kit to all blue like his beloved Chelsea and I had a very heated argument with him at The Blue Peter Club and backed by Alan Mullery that that was sacrilidge as BHA were traditionally blue and white stripes and he conceded that we were right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here