Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Rock on Film4 at 5-15 & 6-16.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cheers for the heads up... have it ready to change channel.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Cheers haven't seen this for a few years. It's a great classic film. Not like the remake I saw on DVD last week.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
:dunce:
Cheers haven't seen this for a few years. It's a great classic film. Not like the remake I saw on DVD last week.

I thought the recent remake was disappointing; the story didn't translate very well to the 60s and alot of the acting was very wooden. The original film is however a masterpiece; dark, edgy and very atmospheric.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
This link is worth a look.

Shows location stills from the film with recent(ish) pictures to compare.

Reel Streets

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

I thought the recent remake was disappointing; the story didn't translate very well to the 60s and alot of the acting was very wooden. The original film is however a masterpiece; dark, edgy and very atmospheric.

I simply don't think you can ever make a re-make. It just can't be original.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

However, both have a dreadful & disgraceful ending compared to the original book, which is THE classic

:moo:

Attachments

• scan bton rock0001.jpg
    scan bton rock0001.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 203
  • scan bton rock0002.jpg
    scan bton rock0002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 202
  • scan bton rock0003.jpg
    scan bton rock0003.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 203
  • scan bton rock0004.jpg
    scan bton rock0004.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 203

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Ow I watched the first hour and then fell asleep and woke up to find the film after on instead. I think I will have to get it on dvd.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
The gateposts at Brighton station as shown in these pics are cannons from the Napoleonic war.

If any other Brightonians, or Historians could shed more light on this it would be great.

br018.jpg

br018n.jpg

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Gay history:
Many men were initially drawn to Brighton by the enormous numbers of soldiers garrisoned here during the Napoleonic Wars. In August 1822, George Wilson, a servant from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was accused by a guardsman he had met in the Duke of Wellington public house in Pool Valley of having offered him a sovereign and two shillings to go with him onto the beach to commit an unnatural crime.

Last edited:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Gay history:
Many men were initially drawn to Brighton by the enormous numbers of soldiers garrisoned here during the Napoleonic Wars. In August 1822, George Wilson, a servant from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was accused by a guardsman he had met in the Duke of Wellington public house in Pool Valley of having offered him a sovereign and two shillings to go with him onto the beach to commit an unnatural crime.

Any idea where the Garrison was?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Garrison probably Preston barracks.My Dad was in the original film as an extra,I was there during the filming looking after my baby sister.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Any idea where the Garrison was?

The original camp for the soldiers of the Napoleonic War was located in a field called Belle Vue which is now the site of Regency Square. That had been built on by 1822 and I think the barracks moved up to the site were the Prince Regent swimming pool is. Regarding your other questions about cannons, a battery existed throughout much of the 19th century in front of what is now the Grand Hotel, commemorated by the road Cannon Place which runs between the Grand and Metropole Hotels as well as two old streets Cannon Street and Artillery Street that were demolished and lost under the Churchill Square development of the 1960s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here