Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brighton Pavilion, Labour candidate - who to vote for?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The question (I forget who it was) asked of Esther McVeigh when she was first appointed was absolutely brilliant. She was on one of these politics shows explaining how a Minister Without Portfolio is a co-ordinator and gets to see there's a connection between all the other Ministers. The retort was:

"ok then, given you're the Minister for Common Sense does that mean the rest of them haven't got any?"

:lolol:

:wozza:
Every time I see her name I think of Fleetwood Mac. As the sister of John, she was apparently once invited to join the band, but decided to go her own way.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No system will be perfect. Having a rule which says candidates have to live in the area for, say 5 years, will discriminate against well meaning people who temporarily have to move way for genuine reasons.

You can of course join the local party and influence selection.
Mmmm, you’re quite right, no system is perfect, it’s emerged that the ballot paper used for election of the Labour Party Candidate for Brighton Pavilion whilst showing the correct candidates had the wrong constituency on it !!

IMG_1028.jpeg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Now that Sian Berry has been elected as a MLA. Who will stand in her place in Brighton?

Clear it’s not her priority.
She fancies a green padded seat, she’ll resign MLA and there will be a by-election at the cost of the tax payer
“Ms Berry likewise confirmed that if she is elected as an MP after winning re-election as an AM, she will stand down from the Assembly.”

Hedging one’s bets me thinks

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
She fancies a green padded seat, she’ll resign MLA and there will be a by-election at the cost of the tax payer
“Ms Berry likewise confirmed that if she is elected as an MP after winning re-election as an AM, she will stand down from the Assembly.”

Hedging one’s bets me thinks
I'm not sure if there will be a bye election. When St Caroline won Brighton Pavilion she resigned her MEP seat and it was given to the next Green candidate on the list (Keith Taylor RIP). There could be a similar arrangement in London as there was a long list of potential candidates to vote for.

Anyway, what people have to realise is that for a small, poor party like the Greens getting your second most experienced elected politician as an MP is a massive goal (& mammoth task) so yes, she is hedging her bets. She would be silly not to.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure if there will be a bye election. When St Caroline won Brighton Pavilion she resigned her MEP seat and it was given to the next Green candidate on the list (Keith Taylor RIP). There could be a similar arrangement in London as there was a long list of potential candidates to vote for.

Anyway, what people have to realise is that for a small, poor party like the Greens getting your second most experienced elected politician as an MP is a massive goal (& mammoth task) so yes, she is hedging her bets. She would be silly not to.

And I don't see anyone asking why Tom Gray hasn't resigned his Council seat and forced a bye-election at the taxpayer's expense.
Thinking about this. At the last election there were a sizable number of new MPs and many must have come from council seats and similar. I don’t recall widespread elections for these vacated positions. What happened 4 years a ago?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Now that Sian Berry has been elected as a MLA. Who will stand in her place in Brighton?

Clear it’s not her priority.
Maybe she reads NSC.

3 days after being elected, she’s resigned her seat in London to focus on Brighton.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My thoughts entirely, I think that the Greens underestimate the Brighton electorate’s perception of them, an example being the recent by-election’s in KT & QP caused by shocking Labour fuckery and they still returned two Labour Cllr’s.

The City in the past, in majority either voted Red or Green, it would seem that for some reason it’s no longer fashionable to vote Green in Brighton & Hove

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
My thoughts entirely, I think that the Greens underestimate the Brighton electorate’s perception of them, an example being the recent by-election’s in KT & QP caused by shocking Labour fuckery and they still returned two Labour Cllr’s.

The City in the past, in majority either voted Red or Green, it would seem that for some reason it’s no longer fashionable to vote Green in Brighton & Hove
Absolutely.
& again, good 😉

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So Brighton, a town that is notorious for changing fashion more often than Michael Portillo changes blazers, has had a Green MP for 15 years because it's been fashionable ? As Denis Healey used to say "What a silly billy" :laugh:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Only the recent past. When I moved to the Brighton Pavilion constituency in 1990 it was Tory - as Brighton (and Hove) had always been apart from a few years in the 1960s when Kemptown elected a Labour MP. (Although if you go back to the mid-19th century you can find a few Liberals representing the old 'Brighton' constituency)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Perhaps the Greens could put up one of their other recently elected Councillors:

There's one in Leeds who might be looking for a new constituency

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here