Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Marathon heading for Administration

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’ve done two Brighton Marathons and I do relate to their points at the end of that article. Covid must have killed them, and their only answer must have been to raise prices, which makes occasional charity runners like myself think “bugger that”.

It’s a great community event with wonderful volunteers but leaving creditors unpaid is a bad and shabby look that we often take them up the road to task for.

All in all it’s another shitty outcome from the pandemic

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can fully sympathise with them. I have friends who work in the running events industry here and they were decimated by the pandemic.

They would have paid the vast majority of their costs before the marathon was cancelled in 2020. I'm assuming they gave refunds/deferrals to anyone who had signed up. They wouldn't have been able to make much of that back over the past 2 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve done two Brighton Marathons and I do relate to their points at the end of that article. Covid must have killed them, and their only answer must have been to raise prices, which makes occasional charity runners like myself think “bugger that”.

It’s a great community event with wonderful volunteers but leaving creditors unpaid is a bad and shabby look that we often take them up the road to task for.

True. But there was the balls up with one marathon's length and they did not bother to get UKA accreditation for another. Both of these issues screwed participants times and do not have anything to do with Covid. That said, marathon running has never been more popular so I hope, and expect, that another company will come along and provide our city with the race it deserves.

If I can get my arse into gear I might even enter it myself.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can fully sympathise with them. I have friends who work in the running events industry here and they were decimated by the pandemic.

They would have paid the vast majority of their costs before the marathon was cancelled in 2020. I'm assuming they gave refunds/deferrals to anyone who had signed up. They wouldn't have been able to make much of that back over the past 2 years.
'Events' had it very bad, broadly speaking they were one of the first to be locked down and last to be opened up.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What are the main expenses in putting on the marathon. £1m debt seems huge with so many volunteers

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
'Events' had it very bad, broadly speaking they were one of the first to be locked down and last to be opened up.
Absolutely. I think that's part of the reason tickets for things have gone up so much this year.

People often don't understand the upfront costs with events like this too. The timing would have completely screwed them. If the lockdown had started in the autumn, they could have at least cancelled merchandise/medal orders and cut back on some other contract costs. They also would have been paying staff right up to the marathon date.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Absolutely. I think that's part of the reason tickets for things have gone up so much this year.

People often don't understand the upfront costs with events like this too. The timing would have completely screwed them. If the lockdown had started in the autumn, they could have at least cancelled merchandise/medal orders and cut back on some other contract costs. They also would have been paying staff right up to the marathon date.
Yes but £1m is a heck of a lot of money. What was that spent on

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What are the main expenses in putting on the marathon. £1m debt seems huge with so many volunteers
City council rinsing them for road closures etc (plus all the obvious stuff like water, tees, medals, safety support, cleaning, equipment hire, admin, race numbers, chip timing, venue hire…..)

This was on the cards pre-covid, they’ve always been in debt. Pandemic probably tipped them over the edge.

Real shame - I’ve run it half a dozen times, spectated a few more and volunteered a couple of times, really enjoyed all of it and Brighton needs such an event but there are some serious questions to be asked of the organiser. I know the winner of the very first event (female) and even then getting her modest prize was a huge battle.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
True. But there was the balls up with one marathon's length and they did not bother to get UKA accreditation for another. Both of these issues screwed participants times and do not have anything to do with Covid. That said, marathon running has never been more popular so I hope, and expect, that another company will come along and provide our city with the race it deserves.

If I can get my arse into gear I might even enter it myself.
The accreditation thing was eventually overcome (as was the incorrect course length) but never should have happened in the first place. Pisspoor admin.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Don't worry, B&H City Council will get them to promise to pay, no fingers crossed. Indeed, B&HCC will even give them the money to pay the winners and the council. The event will go ahead next year and then they go bust owing the council and the runners. i360 get away with it so why not everyone else?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They are £1m in debt haven't even paid last year's prizewinners and are being taken to court. Still taking people's money for April though.

Going into administration, whilst the Directors have lavish holidays.

AVOID

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...EyZwo_aU5r1Ez9IVaQbjC9wau-04kpxOV8Wz9YjREkXa4
I read the article. I could not find any reference to the directors taking lavish holidays. Could you link me to this, please? I don't yet feel sufficiently outraged. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe it just needs someone good to run it ?

I have ran all 12 Brighton Marathons & entered next year as well. It will be such a shame if the event folds. The running forums have had wind of the impending administration for a few days now & of course we are all hopeful for a resolution.

The organisers insistence on not posting out numbers & no registrations on the day, are part of the problem. Complaints against hotels tripling prices also feels wrong.

Southampton marathon have already moved their date to fill the void, so they don’t expect it to survive sadly.

A number of runners have a membership & paid for future races in advance. Have to feel sorry for them. However, race numbers have remained static or fallen in recent years. There are only so many marathon runners & there are far more events these days.

The organisers put on other events, including this years Trail Marathon, which I enjoyed. However, the numbers were only at 50% of what the organisers anticipated. It doesn’t help (with both events) the start & finish in different locations!

Hope another organisation can take over.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

No disrespect to Neneh Cerry and Yousou's subject matter but I can't stop singing this.

"Seven seconds away
Just as long as I stay
I'll be waiting
It's not a second
Seven seconds away
Just as long as I stay
I'll be waiting
I'll be waiting..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here