Marathon Men (5,184)
Marathon Women (2,623) 7,807
2010 Apr 18 Brighton Marathon 2010
Marathon Men (4,913)
Marathon Women (2,498) 7,411

Biggest Field: 2017 - 12,039 finishers
Smallest Field: 2021 - 4,106 finishers
Average Field: 8,982 finishers

Quite a bit down this year on 2015 onwards, and generally steadily fallingā€¦ā€¦.combination of bad press, cost and competition really.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Got round in 4:07 in my first (last?) marathon. The section at Shoreham is quite chastening isn't it, people collapsing left right and centre it felt like. Was doing okay for 4 hrs until that point but dropped off and accepted my fate to make sure I got home.

Thanks to all volunteers, it can't be easy to keep the supplies coming whilst remaing so supportive. The crowds were great too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Had a great day managing the water stand Roedean at mile 7.5. The weather really helped of course along with a great team of 14 volunteers including one from on here (thanks again but I canā€™t remember your user name!), plus [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] was just along the road - heā€™s handy with a broom you know!

Great to see quite a few Brighton shirts and managed to give a cheer to [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] (come on donā€™t be bashful, I hear you ran an excellent time).

Yes, numbers were down but the enthusiasm was as high as ever. Covid is still impacting numbers - people would have been starting their training plans just as Omicron arrived. I believe there are still around 7000 deferred entries in the system.

Iā€™ve already put my name down to run a water stand next year - hopefully nearer Hove - getting up at 4:30 was not such fun- I can really recommend volunteering- lots of fun and not quite, though nearly, as hard as running itself

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a great day managing the water stand Roedean at mile 7.5. The weather really helped of course along with a great team of 14 volunteers including one from on here (thanks again but I canā€™t remember your user name!), plus [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] was just along the road - heā€™s handy with a broom you know!

Great to see quite a few Brighton shirts and managed to give a cheer to [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] (come on donā€™t be bashful, I hear you ran an excellent time).

Yes, numbers were down but the enthusiasm was as high as ever. Covid is still impacting numbers - people would have been starting their training plans just as Omicron arrived. I believe there are still around 7000 deferred entries in the system.

Iā€™ve already put my name down to run a water stand next year - hopefully nearer Hove - getting up at 4:30 was not such fun- I can really recommend volunteering- lots of fun and not quite, though nearly, as hard as running itself

Absolutely echo this re volunteering - if you havenā€™t done it before, itā€™s a great way of experiencing the event. Iā€™ve done it loads of times at various events and always really enjoy it (if my bloody foot doesnā€™t get better itā€™s the only marathon involvement Iā€™m going to have going forward :lolol:)

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Absolutely echo this re volunteering - if you havenā€™t done it before, itā€™s a great way of experiencing the event. Iā€™ve done it loads of times at various events and always really enjoy it (if my bloody foot doesnā€™t get better itā€™s the only marathon involvement Iā€™m going to have going forward [emoji38]ol:)
Every volunteer on my way back from watching the race I thanked most were so surprised.they all & do a wonderful thing without them they would be no marathon.thank you thank you

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Got round in 4:07 in my first (last?) marathon. The section at Shoreham is quite chastening isn't it, people collapsing left right and centre it felt like. Was doing okay for 4 hrs until that point but dropped off and accepted my fate to make sure I got home.

Thanks to all volunteers, it can't be easy to keep the supplies coming whilst remaing so supportive. The crowds were great too.
I spoke to the st John's ambulance guys & gals stationed behind the gather inn around 5pm and they told me apart from a couple of people falling over & needing attention it had been relatively quiet.thanks again to the st johns teams everywhere on the route

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I spoke to the st John's ambulance guys & gals stationed behind the gather inn around 5pm and they told me apart from a couple of people falling over & needing attention it had been relatively quiet.thanks again to the st johns teams everywhere on the route

Fair enough, it seemed quite bad at the time.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

At Shoreham in 4 hours? Did you miss a turning? But a 7 minute sprint to the finish?

Regardless, excellent stuff. Itā€™s a cruel run.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I tend to wear club colours on the day. Itā€™s always good for a few extra shouts from the crowd.

I was thrilled that the away strip came back in stock in the nick of time and coughed up for the special delivery.

Here I am reciprocating a hearty ā€œSEAGULLLLSā€ received on the finishing straight, just a nanosecond before spotting my support crew with the camera.
:lol::lol::lol:

5C7B2989-5F3C-4469-92CD-C3C54B6077D7.jpeg

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I tend to wear club colours on the day. Itā€™s always good for a few extra shouts from the crowd.

I was thrilled that the away strip came back in stock in the nick of time and coughed up for the special delivery.

Here I am reciprocating a hearty ā€œSEAGULLLLSā€ received on the finishing straight, just a nanosecond before spotting my support crew with the camera.
:lol::lol::lol:

View attachment 146845

Great photo Jim.

I think I saw you a couple of times during the marathon. I can remember shouting "Seagulls" to someone in that away shirt.

Had a great day on Sunday. Perfect weather, no wind and awesome crowd support. Brighton Marathon back at it's best I reckon.

I got round in 5:04. Thought I might get under 5 hours, but the head wind in the last couple of miles seemed to slow me down.

I volunteered in 2016 I think. I was a marshalling along New Church Road. Great to see the other side of the event. It's a good way to see the front runners. I certainly can recommend volunteering for the marathon.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I will say, rather disappointed not to get a written thank you for giving up my Sunday to volunteer on Sunday from Brighton Marathon Weekend organisers (Grounded Events). Just a simple email communication goes a long way to show a bit of gratitude towards people of Brighton & Hove for helping the event take place.
I have read BM volunteers have been poorly treated in previous years and a lot of them have declined the opportunity to volunteer againā€¦I can see why now. No wonder BM were advertising on job websites the week before for volunteers for that following weekend. I volunteered on the finishing line on Sunday and it was clear the team were under resourced on the day, we were organising the baggage collections whilst the 10k runners were coming inā€¦some finishing runners had to wait 90 minutes for their bags to come from Preston Park.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I will say, rather disappointed not to get a written thank you for giving up my Sunday to volunteer on Sunday from Brighton Marathon Weekend organisers (Grounded Events). Just a simple email communication goes a long way to show a bit of gratitude towards people of Brighton & Hove for helping the event take place.
I have read BM volunteers have been poorly treated in previous years and a lot of them have declined the opportunity to volunteer againā€¦I can see why now. No wonder BM were advertising on job websites the week before for volunteers for that following weekend. I volunteered on the finishing line on Sunday and it was clear the team were under resourced on the day, we were organising the baggage collections whilst the 10k runners were coming inā€¦some finishing runners had to wait 90 minutes for their bags to come from Preston Park.

I think itā€™s a fair point, a simple thank you email would be appropriate.

There is a nice message on their Facebook page - worth a look at for the appreciative comments from the runners as well. https://www.facebook.com/130296107032228/posts/5260305617364559/?d=n

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I volunteered on the finishing line on Sunday and it was clear the team were under resourced on the day, we were organising the baggage collections whilst the 10k runners were coming inā€¦some finishing runners had to wait 90 minutes for their bags to come from Preston Park.

Are you sure if this Robster?

Second year running there was no bag drop at Preston Park. Runners had to leave finishing clothes at the race village when picking up their number.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Are you sure if this Robster?

Second year running there was no bag drop at Preston Park. Runners had to leave finishing clothes at the race village when picking up their number.

Sorry, I should have provided a bit more information. One of the volunteers, her husband was a American Express card holder and he had signed up for a 10 year ā€˜subscriptionā€™ for a place in the 10k race and part of that subscription entitled him to a bag drop on the dayā€¦exclusive to Amex card holders. Apparently the whole bag collection & drop off from Preston Park was a total cluster****!
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] - The runners were so appreciative of the volunteers. So many heartfelt thank youā€™s from the runners on the finishing line, which really made our days.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Went into the day thinking 3 hours 30 would be comfortable with an outside chance of sub 3 hours 20 if everything went well. My training wasn't that consistent and I probably didn't do enough at marathon pace or enough high mileage weeks generally, although I got 4 * 20 miles done and a 22 miler.

Was undecided about what to go for but at the start line thought sod it and go for sub 3:20, by mile 13 I could feel my groin start nagging, started to slow by mile 16 and started run/walking by mile 19, saw the 3 h 30 pacers pass me by at mile 20. Thigh muscles started cramping up by mile 23 and had to walk half a mile before it eased off, ended up finishing around 3 hours 40.

A bit disappointed overall but happy I finished it as I was a whisker close from jacking it in at mile 20 near Hove Lagoon as I could feel my calf, thigh, groin all tensing up.

Not sure went wrong really, I thought the several long runs would see me through but I think I made too many easy excuses regarding mid week runs and hadn't done enough running in general. The 3 hours 30 was probably doable if I hadn't got too big for my boots. This was my 4th marathon (pb being 3:02 in 2018 but took 2 years out from running). Not sure if I'm up for doing another after that.

I thought the setup and support during the day was all first class

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Have to say that really doesnā€™t bother me at all - I already knew there were quite a few issues with the organisation/organisers when I signed up (not exactly a secret), but acknowledgement from many, many runners is nice though. Having run a few myself I always try to make a point of thanking the volunteers.

Screwing up drop-bags between PP and Madeira Drive is pretty unforgivable really. Anyone who has done London knows how incredibly efficient it can be done (with 40,000 bags to sort, move and hand out much further away).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brighton deserves a lot better than the current organisers, who year after year fail to learn from their mistakes.

An expensive marathon, which gets worse every year. At least it was accurately measured this year; one improvement I guess.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here