Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton make move to sign Giannis Konstantelias...

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I'm no expert on Cyprus but didn't the Turkish army invade after the coup d'etat by the Greek military junta? Of course, there's a lot (thousands of years) of history preceding this but as far as I know it wasn't just the Turkish being the bad guys.

As I recall, Cyprus was governed by a government headed by Archbishop Mackarios, (spelling?) which was adjudged to be quite moderate. Then what was described as a gangster regime took over, and the Turks feared for the safety of the "Turkish Cypriots" living in the north, hence the invasion.
There was supposed to be a certain number of Turkish Cypriot politicians in the government to protect the interests of the Turkish Cypriot people living there.

The new regime came in and wanted to unite Cyprus with Greece, removing Turkish Cypriots from office and killing Turkish Cypriot police officers.

Turkey certainly aren't the good guys in the conflict, but neither are Greece/Cyprus.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
beautiful area that was likely going to become one of the biggest tourist hotspots in Europe as the beaches are far better than the Greek side.
Very true - and one day those Greeks who fled from the North to the South - and lost their houses / land will want their land back - a lot of which has been sold/developed by the Turks (and ironically sold to Brits!)

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Aside from the geopolitics, is there any reliable confirmation that we’re in for the fella?
My mate sent me a couple of links from Greek media but I can't understand a word (it's all Greek to me).

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Very true - and one day those Greeks who fled from the North to the South - and lost their houses / land will want their land back - a lot of which has been sold/developed by the Turks (and ironically sold to Brits!)
Yes in the same way I'm sure a lot of the displaced Turks would love their old land back.

There's no good guys in the conflict.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As I recall, Cyprus was governed by a government headed by Archbishop Mackarios, (spelling?) which was adjudged to be quite moderate. Then what was described as a gangster regime took over, and the Turks feared for the safety of the "Turkish Cypriots" living in the north, hence the invasion.
The ‘Turkish’ Cypriots lived all over the island, as did the Greek speaking Cypriots.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Because Cyprus is divided into 2 nation states. Cyprus(Greek) and Northern Cyprus (Turkish).?
The Republic of Cyprus is the southern part of the island now, and an EU member. Their language is Greek, however they are not Greek.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I'm no expert on Cyprus but didn't the Turkish army invade after the coup d'etat by the Greek military junta? Of course, there's a lot (thousands of years) of history preceding this but as far as I know it wasn't just the Turkish being the bad guys.
The first invasion might have been justified. The second was simply an illegal land grab.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I'm less curious about this potential signing than I am about what @Superphil's response to the various explanations on Greek Cypriot nomenclature will be.

Double down on "it makes no sense", accept a lesson learned in good humour or go into hiding for a year or two seem to be the only options. Which will he take?
I lived in Cyprus for 6 years of my life, either side of the ‘74 war, and I’ve holidayed with friends and family in both the North and South once or twice annually for the past 30 years or so.
They don’t go about the place calling themselves Greek Cypriots or Turkish Cypriots.
Those that are from the island are all Cypriot to me. That makes sense to me, no lesson needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here