Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton make move to sign Giannis Konstantelias...

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Can't find a great English-language source on this, but I was alerted to the news by a PAOK-supporting mate who heard about it via Greek media. Searched for a thread on here with no results, hence making a new one.

I asked my Greek mate about him and he says he's shitehouse. No, actually, he said (and I quote) "He is the best talent I ever seen in PAOK and greek football, no exaggerating"

[Edit - damn, I should have just posted without all the text and I would have been first]
I also saw this on Reddit from a PAOK fan asking about our interest in him.

Incredibly technical apparently and you'd think he's Brazilian he's so good.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Complete guesswork! Although he has scored a few this season from wide positions and his contract is running down. I did see some article linking him to us but that’s all.
Just seemed like a very us type signing.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Has there been a top class Greek player?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This bloke was urging him to join us last summer: https://www.wearebrighton.com/newso...for-young-talents-like-konstantelias-to-join/

Would he be our first Greek?

(The ladies have one and we've had a London-born Greek Cypriot but think that's it)
We did indeed have a 'Greek ' Cypriot, it's strange that we don't also say an 'English' Australian, or 'English' American. An Australian is Australian, they speak English, an American is an American, they speak English (sort of). Alexis Nicholas is a Cypriot, he speaks Greek (sort of), but for reasons that should be lost in the midst of time and war, people still refer to Cypriots as Greek Cypriots.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
1) #PrayForWarren

2) I assume that if we signed him, would he be eligible for European games having already played for PAOK in the Conference League this season?
He would be eligible if we registered him. It's worth noting though that the UEFA rules only allow us to register 3 new players in our European Squad, and they can't simply be 'additions' because we are capped to 25 players. I think we have 24 registered players, so 1 could be added without needing to replace anyone, but any others would need to replace current squad members. That's also not as simple as one might think - you might expect Solly March for example to be replaced, but we have to register 4 players who were trained at the club for 3 years before they turned 21. Due to a lack of these 'over 21 now' the current 4 appear to be McGill, Dunk, March and Hinsh*. Hinsh technically doesn't need to be one of the four to be eligible, but helps us meet the criteria. Also worth noting neither Moder or Enciso were registered previosuly, so if one of them is added, Konstantelias would have to replace an existing squad member (and it couldn't be March). Apologies for the overly complicated answer.. :ROFLMAO:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We did indeed have a 'Greek ' Cypriot, it's strange that we don't also say an 'English' Australian, or 'English' American. An Australian is Australian, they speak English, an American is an American, they speak English (sort of). Alexis Nicholas is a Cypriot, he speaks Greek (sort of), but for reasons that should be lost in the midst of time and war, people still refer to Cypriots as Greek Cypriots.

Have the Turkish left?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
unless they are not from Greek heritage that is of course, there is still a lot of animosity between them.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Because Cyprus is divided into 2 nation states. Cyprus(Greek) and Northern Cyprus (Turkish).?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
As long as the Greek culture minister doesn't lose his marbles, inferring we stole him and demand his return before his contract runs out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here