Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All I meant by "certain type" is the idea that only a subset of people born and raised in Liverpool are scousers.

Nonsense, sorry.

Born and raised in Liverpool, they're scousers. Even the ones who'd seek to pretend otherwise.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's just my opinion, there are no specific rules.

I just don't get it when people from Surrey that have lived in Brighton for a couple of years are called Brightonians.
And why shouldn't I be a Brightonian just because I have moved along the coast?

When you say you have never lived inside the city, how close to Brighton have you lived?

Uh oh, I feel this is a bit of a test ....... :)

I have lived in Saltdean and Peacehaven all of my life, although I have no aspirations to be called a Brightonian or not I have a great affinity with the city.

My Mum and Dad are from Brighton and I have had a great insight to the life and times of the city and its sports, characters and nightlife from the 1930's up until now and I still live it :)

I now feel I am on the Calaise border waiting to cling to the next Brighton cab into the pool valley if you do not accept my application .......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I love living in Brighton, even if it is f*£#@%@ expensive!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We were spoilt for choice with punk gigs back then, I used to watch a bands every week.

You definitely saw the light when you moved out of Medway :)
I have close family in Medway and I can't say I'm a big fan of that area, where did you live?

We were spoilt for choice with punk gigs back then, I used to watch a bands every week.

You definitely saw the light when you moved out of Medway :)
I have close family in Medway and I can't say I'm a big fan of that area, where did you live?

Spent most of my teenage years on the Parkwood estate in Rainham.

If you like punk and have any connections with the Medway Towns, you'll LOVE this...

MEDWAY-cover2-WEB.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brightonian means born and bred
you might have been born in Brighton and lived somewhere else all your life but you are still a Brightonian and the reverse is the same you might have lived in Brighton nearly all your life but it does not make you a Brightonian.
I have spent a few years living elsewhere, London,Shrewsbury,Chelmsford,Cheltenham, Eastbourne, and even Wales.
but I was born and bred in Brighton and it might have its bad points but that does not make me love it any less along with thousands of others, and even if it was a shithole I would still love it.
and as I said before just wish I could aford to live there.

My family have been Brightonians for generations on both sides, my grand dad was involved in much iconic plaster work etc on many important buildings in the town. By a strange quirk of fate my parents left the town for 10 years and I was born elsewhere. Consequently when we moved back to Brighton i was still an outsider for not being born at the Sussex County "Not proper Brighton mate, sorry"

We/they are a funny lot.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Never claimed I had. Tho I'd argue that the DFLs moving down now are destroying the vibe that made our seedy dump of a town a bit special in the first place. You know what they say about the three stages of gentrification? First the hippies and the artists move in because of the vibe and because its dirt cheap.Then the teachers and the poorly paid middle-class move in because its still a nice place to live and they can just about afford to move in and buy a house and its still relatively cheap. Then (updating the third stage slightly) the DFLs move in, know the price of everything, the value of nothing and ruin everything the place once represented. But, hey, the property prices are going through the roof, there's a booming buy-to-let yield on investment, so that's all OK then...

Surely if we were in the third phase then people would be discussing property prices instead of all the cool things about the place.

oh

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Maybe your wife doesn't consider herself a Scouser as she left the city as a child.

Everyone that I have met that was born and lived in Liverpool for a number of years is always proud to call themselves a Scouser.
I have found Geordies to be the same.

I think people define themselves by the place they most identify with, I think of my self as from Brighton and although people say I'm not 'proper' it doesn't change the fact so they can get ****ed :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I know many honorary Brightonians and I am sure there are many that frequent this board

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Uh oh, I feel this is a bit of a test ....... :)

I have lived in Saltdean and Peacehaven all of my life, although I have no aspirations to be called a Brightonian or not I have a great affinity with the city.

My Mum and Dad are from Brighton and I have had a great insight to the life and times of the city and its sports, characters and nightlife from the 1930's up until now and I still live it :)

I now feel I am on the Calaise border waiting to cling to the next Brighton cab into the pool valley if you do not accept my application .......

Application refused :lolol:
Wannabe Brightonian :bigwave:

I don't know if you are on Twitter, but it always makes me laugh when I see people that obviously live in Peacehaven or Newhaven that put from Brighton on their profile page.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think people define themselves by the place they most identify with, I think of my self as from Brighton and although people say I'm not 'proper' it doesn't change the fact so they can get ****ed :)
nah, youre a wannabe.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A great man once said "it's not where your from its where your at" which is a bugger cos I am at Geelong :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ich bin ein Newhavener

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here