Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Never claimed I had. Tho I'd argue that the DFLs moving down now are destroying the vibe that made our seedy dump of a town a bit special in the first place. You know what they say about the three stages of gentrification? First the hippies and the artists move in because of the vibe and because its dirt cheap.Then the teachers and the poorly paid middle-class move in because its still a nice place to live and they can just about afford to move in and buy a house and its still relatively cheap. Then (updating the third stage slightly) the DFLs move in, know the price of everything, the value of nothing and ruin everything the place once represented. But, hey, the property prices are going through the roof, there's a booming buy-to-let yield on investment, so that's all OK then...
lets just agree we both love brighton !!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No chance.

I'm just under 30 and live in a large shared flat with 6 others, all foreign workers/students.
Prior to that, I lived in a 2 bed flat in central Brighton that I could just about afford which was/is a complete dump.

With my currently salary (approx. UK average), I could just about share an average 2 bed flat in Brighton and have a little bit of cash to spare, if I'm lucky.

On my salary, I could afford my own 1-2 bed flat costing between £120,000 - £150,000. which there are PLENTY available in much of the South West.
I only use the SW as an example as I've spent a couple of years that way and loved it. I'm sure it's the same story in many other parts of England/UK.

On my salary, my 2-bed options in B&H are one of four shared ownership property schemes (no thanks) or a converted double decker bus.

A converted double decker bus will cost a fortune maintaining or it will rust to bits in no time at all.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well you seem to be perpetuating your ignorance of the reality of Brighton property prices and associated issues that a few people called you up on in another thread, or maybe earlier in this thread. Brighton is particularly special in that regard.
This.

I said that prices were silly if you live in central areas for an easy commute but if you live outside that zone, prices aren't any more mad than the rest of the south-east. You can walk to your gaff from the station, Lee, that's why house prices are crazy

No, you found one example of a house that says the guide price is £275k - £300k. Most property in Brighton sells above its guide price.

I hope your mortgage company isn't taking the pee? I suppose it could just be that there aren't many places for sale at the moment... But prices are far higher than anywhere else in Sussex. Prices in Eastbourne and Newhaven are less than half those in Brighton. Worthing, Seaford, Peacehaven and Burgess Hill around 65%.

Also, that place you've found is right at the top of Coldean. Again, I've got nothing against Coldean but I'd argue that it's harder to get into Brighton from there than Newhaven, but it still has a £100k premium. One of those bedrooms is 6'6 long too! A single mattress is 6'3 FFS!

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think he means the North Laines.

tongue.gif
I think you mean the North Laine, and he meant the Lanes.

tongue.gif

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Brightonian means born and bred
you might have been born in Brighton and lived somewhere else all your life but you are still a Brightonian and the reverse is the same you might have lived in Brighton nearly all your life but it does not make you a Brightonian.
I have spent a few years living elsewhere, London,Shrewsbury,Chelmsford,Cheltenham, Eastbourne, and even Wales.
but I was born and bred in Brighton and it might have its bad points but that does not make me love it any less along with thousands of others, and even if it was a shithole I would still love it.
and as I said before just wish I could aford to live there.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I like to think I moved to Brighton for the right reasons. In fact I KNOW I did. The reasons were nothing to do with shrewd swivel-eyed acountancy comparisons of property prices and commuting times. I moved down from the Medway Towns - in 1980 - because, as a punk, I'd spent the previous four years coming down to Brighton to watch fantastic punk gigs in absolute safety. Punk gigs were officially banned in the Medway Towns by the council. Down there you spent your life dodging psycho squaddies from Gillingham Barracks at one end of the towns and sailors at Chatham dockyards at the other end, and what would come to be known as 'chavs' in the middle of the towns. Seriously, it was OPEN SEASON on punks, for no good reason at all other than the attackers stunted lives which meant they had to kick the shit out of anyone who wasn't them. Brighton was the ultimate breathe of fresh air. It only clicked one day, out of nowhere, that you were actually ALLOWED to live in a non-shit town in the UK, you didn't just have to come here on your holidays. Quite a revelation for a daft young man to work out for himself, and one I've never regretted to this day. Brighton - despite the DFLs - remains a FANTASTIC place to live. IMHO, like.

We were spoilt for choice with punk gigs back then, I used to watch a bands every week.

You definitely saw the light when you moved out of Medway :)
I have close family in Medway and I can't say I'm a big fan of that area, where did you live?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brightonian means born and bred
you might have been born in Brighton and lived somewhere else all your life but you are still a Brightonian and the reverse is the same you might have lived in Brighton nearly all your life but it does not make you a Brightonian.
Well that's clearly wrong. Born and bred means you were born there and bred there - as in, brought up there. So if you've lived somewhere else all your life, then you weren't born and bred in Brighton.

How do you know the Brightonian means born and bred in Brighton?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well that's clearly wrong. Born and bred means you were born there and bred there - as in, brought up there. So if you've lived somewhere else all your life, then you weren't born and bred in Brighton.

How do you know the Brightonian means born and bred in Brighton?

probably because I was born and bred, schooled, and lived there most of my life

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, you found one example of a house that says the guide price is £275k - £300k. Most property in Brighton sells above its guide price.

I hope your mortgage company isn't taking the pee? I suppose it could just be that there aren't many places for sale at the moment... But prices are far higher than anywhere else in Sussex. Prices in Eastbourne and Newhaven are less than half those in Brighton. Worthing, Seaford, Peacehaven and Burgess Hill around 65%.

Also, that place you've found is right at the top of Coldean. Again, I've got nothing against Coldean but I'd argue that it's harder to get into Brighton from there than Newhaven, but it still has a £100k premium. One of those bedrooms is 6'6 long too! A single mattress is 6'3 FFS!

No, I said I found one example within seconds. I didn't look for any more

I don't why you get the idea that property goes for more than the estate agent's price. I've bought three properties in my life: two in London (on the market at £80k - went for £72k; on the market at £235k went for £195k). My current property was on the market at £210k, I bought it at £192k. I've never heard of anyone paying more than an asking price: why would you? And that property is about 5 minutes away from where I live, which is why I included it.

If you want to look at what people actually pay (not estate agent fantasy) - have a look here for recent prices
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/BN1-9.html - nothing over £300k for a 4 bedroom

And you're way wide of the mark about the inaccessibility of Coldean. When I commuted to London, I went to the station every day. It took me between 17 to 22 minutes. If you think that 20 minutes is a long commute, you can't have much experience of the subject - the average UK commute is about 45 minutes

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've never heard of anyone paying more than an asking price: why would you?

People that I know who have recently been searching for a house in brighton and hove have found that every single house they put an offer on has eventually been sold for more than the asking price. The house they eventually bought was above the asking price.

With all respect to Coldean, it's not a desirable place to live, hence the relatively low property price compared to other parts of the city.

Property around me (Hangleton), which I would consider equally undesirable has been going for between £300-350k in recent months.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
With all respect to Coldean, it's not a desirable place to live, hence the relatively low property price compared to other parts of the city.

Well, we're back where we started. It depends what you're looking for of course, but, as I said, a low-crime area with lots of greenery, good local facilities and an excellent local school is pretty desirable to me. Yes, it's not an easy commute from here but as I keep saying, if you want easy commute then you do pay silly prices. But if you just want a pleasant place to live, prices aren't outrageous

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Some say - " Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live"

I say it is a damn sight better than the nondescript towns of the county shires of the Mids, where I had to spend so long. If it is that bad why could I not afford to move back?

Anyway, it has got the best football club in the whole damn league! :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here