Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well you seem to be perpetuating your ignorance of the reality of Brighton property prices and associated issues that a few people called you up on in another thread, or maybe earlier in this thread. Brighton is particularly special in that regard.

Eh? I'm the one who has a really good knowledge of Brighton property prices (having only remortgaged last week). And, as I said, it only took a few seconds to find property to back up my knowledge. There were other people who appeared to be ignorant.

And it's nonsense to say that only in Brighton will young people find it hard to get on the property ladder. There was a report out just a week ago saying that by 2025 most people under 40 will be living in rented accommodation.

There was a follow-up piece in the Guardian asking for people's experiences. Many wrote in and look at the addresses - it's a countrywide problem

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Something seriously needs to be done about the street drinking in Brighton. Any given day at the Clock Tower or on the Level or around St Peters Church or St James Street there's trouble. It's bloody horrible. They're bloody horrible.

The Level is WAY more non-street-drinker-user-friendly than it used to be tho eh? For which all credit to the most recent Brighton council. Just now need the new lot to finish the job and introduce the congestion charge to teach twunts to think twice before jumping in their cars to drive half a mile down the road and then moan about lack of parking.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That will be the story for most kids in the UK though - Brighton's not special in that regard

No chance.

I'm just under 30 and live in a large shared flat with 6 others, all foreign workers/students.
Prior to that, I lived in a 2 bed flat in central Brighton that I could just about afford which was/is a complete dump.

With my currently salary (approx. UK average), I could just about share an average 2 bed flat in Brighton and have a little bit of cash to spare, if I'm lucky.

On my salary, I could afford my own 1-2 bed flat costing between £120,000 - £150,000. which there are PLENTY available in much of the South West.
I only use the SW as an example as I've spent a couple of years that way and loved it. I'm sure it's the same story in many other parts of England/UK.

On my salary, my 2-bed options in B&H are one of four shared ownership property schemes (no thanks) or a converted double decker bus.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Commuting to London from Brighton is difficult? Nah, I've been doing it for years and it's easy-peasy

I also disagree about house prices not being silly in Brighton. My next door neighbour's house sold this year for £330k. And that's for a 2 bedroom terrace with a postage stamp sized back garden and no front garden. That's just silly prices.

I said that prices were silly if you live in central areas for an easy commute but if you live outside that zone, prices aren't any more mad than the rest of the south-east. You can walk to your gaff from the station, Lee, that's why house prices are crazy

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I said that prices were silly if you live in central areas for an easy commute but if you live outside that zone, prices aren't any more mad than the rest of the south-east. You can walk to your gaff from the station, Lee, that's why house prices are crazy

Okay, fair point. :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Things that annoy about Brighton

1: The litter is strewn about the streets, I don't care who's fault it is be it students or lazy arse residents who don't cover up rubbish. The council need to sort it even if they need new bins for everyone, its a feckin eye sore and makes the city look like a dump.

2: Cockneys be them on a day trip or just moved in.

3: Left wing hippies, muesli mountain right on media hipsters.

4: 20mph "everywhere" is not required.

5: Way to many coffee shops in the laines,

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No chance.

I'm just under 30 and live in a large shared flat with 6 others, all foreign workers/students.
Prior to that, I lived in a 2 bed flat in central Brighton that I could just about afford which was/is a complete dump.

With my currently salary (approx. UK average), I could just about share an average 2 bed flat in Brighton and have a little bit of cash to spare, if I'm lucky.

On my salary, I could afford my own 1-2 bed flat costing between £120,000 - £150,000. which there are PLENTY available in much of the South West.
I only use the SW as an example as I've spent a couple of years that way and loved it. I'm sure it's the same story in many other parts of England/UK.

On my salary, my 2-bed options in B&H are one of four shared ownership property schemes (no thanks) or a converted double decker bus.

I didn't say every person under 40: I said most (and quoted the survey that backed it up). Look at the examples from the article of people who were struggling: Lancaster, Yorkshire, Edinburgh, Blackburn etc. If you can afford a £150,000 flat in the south-west then you're on a considerably higher salary than most 20-somethings. The average salary in Cornwall for example is £17,344 (and that's for everyone not just 20 year-olds). You must be way above that

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Every time I go back to my hometown of Worthing, it feels friendlier, more relaxed, cleaner and finally, finally it looks like there are places to go of an evening and nice pubs and restaurants springing up around town. I may well move back and then just pop into Brighton as and when I want to.

Correct. Worthing is never going to be Brighton, nor offer the choice of Brighton but it does seem that the Brighton ripple has finally reached here at long, long last. A few examples...

Look, a roof terrace bar has opened: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sea-House-Worthing/444356665738924?fref=ts
The people behind The Wandering Goose craft beer place have now opened The Libertine: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Libertine/729198480527074?fref=ts
There are people trying to make a fist of a small street food thing now and again: https://www.facebook.com/SundownersWorthing?fref=ts

When you want Brighton it's easily reachable on the train. In fact it probably takes some people in Worthing less time to get to the middle of Brighton than it takes those living on the outskirts of Brighton in the 'reasonably priced' properties that [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] talks about.

And, from The Guardian, this is rather nice: https://witness.theguardian.com/assignment/558b1725e4b0e0aeb01159d4/1597531

Come 'home' fella!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Um, OK, not sure what that actually means. Tho I'll fight to the death for your right to say it. We're like that in Brighton. Or at least we used to be. :wink:
just disagreeing with you THPP thats all, i dont think you're a brightonian, and i know plenty of brightonians who will also tell you you're not , no doubt some will disagree with me , i also think you've got a bloody cheek for judging others for doing what you've already done, albeit earlier.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
just disagreeing with you THPP thats all, i dont think you're a brightonian, and i know plenty of brightonians who will also tell you you're not , no doubt some will disagree with me , i also think you've got a bloody cheek for judging others for doing what you've already done, albeit earlier.

It's a funny thing, I've lived in Brighton longer than I've lived anywhere else but if you ask me if I'm a Brightonian then I'd say nope, I'm a Worthing boy and always will be at heart.

Come 'home' fella!

I may well do!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

So you only judge people by where they were born? Something which no one has any control over. If my rudimentary maths are correct I'd say THPP's 35 years make him a Brightonian rather than a Medway-Man. I'm a DFL; the horror!; been here nearly 18 years and I consider myself more of a Brightonian than I do a Londoner.

You are welcome to your opinion but it is purely subjective and you "have some cheek" telling other people who or what they are without even knowing them in the first place.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not this summer it isn't. To borrow a Star Wars phrase they're back and in greater numbers.

Can't say I've noticed it, though I'm sure you're probably right. But at least the council has reclaimed the MIDDLE section of the Level, eradicated the benches and the bushes and opened the whole thing up. If the street drinkers want to sit around the 3edge of the Level then fair enough, they're not interfering with anyone's enjoyment and I guess they've got to sit somewhere.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So you only judge people by where they were born? Something which no one has any control over. If my rudimentary maths are correct I'd say THPP's 35 years make him a Brightonian rather than a Medway-Man. I'm a DFL; the horror!; been here nearly 18 years and I consider myself more of a Brightonian than I do a Londoner.

You are welcome to your opinion but it is purely subjective and you "have some cheek" telling other people who or what they are without even knowing them in the first place.
i havent ''judged'' him at all, im simply stating my view, i also qualified that by saying some may disagree, as for you're rudimentary maths, i dont think it really applies as he was born and brought up in scotland.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Seriously, it was OPEN SEASON on punks, for no good reason at all other than the attackers stunted lives which meant they had to kick the shit out of anyone who wasn't them.

My nephew and his mates used to love coming down to Brighton in the 1990's as they felt far more accepted than at home (Camberley way) with their long hair and Nirvana t-shirts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
just disagreeing with you THPP thats all, i dont think you're a brightonian, and i know plenty of brightonians who will also tell you you're not , no doubt some will disagree with me , i also think

Never claimed to be a brightonian in any shape or form. Tho having lived here for 35 years, which is give or take most of my adult life, I now regard it as my home. I fell in love with it for what it was, rather than for any kind of braying white-flight bragging rights or thoughts of property prices or commuting times.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
just disagreeing with you THPP thats all, i dont think you're a brightonian, and i know plenty of brightonians who will also tell you you're not , no doubt some will disagree with me , i also think

Never claimed to be a brightonian in any shape or form. Tho having lived here for 35 years, which is give or take most of my adult life, I now regard it as my home. I fell in love with it for what it was, rather than for any kind of braying white-flight bragging rights or thoughts of property prices or commuting times.
i dont blame you for that at all, you might just try and take on board that others have done the same, you dont have exclusivity on this, as for never having claimed to be a brightonian in any way shape or form , i'd say this earlier statement of yours pretty much gives the lie to that :

''I've lived here since 1980. If that makes me a non brightonian, meh, who gives a shit, I'll live with that''

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
i dont blame you for that at all, you might just try and take on board that others have done the same, you dont have exclusivity on this.

Never claimed I had. Tho I'd argue that the DFLs moving down now are destroying the vibe that made our seedy dump of a town a bit special in the first place. You know what they say about the three stages of gentrification? First the hippies and the artists move in because of the vibe and because its dirt cheap.Then the teachers and the poorly paid middle-class move in because its still a nice place to live and they can just about afford to move in and buy a house and its still relatively cheap. Then (updating the third stage slightly) the DFLs move in, know the price of everything, the value of nothing and ruin everything the place once represented. But, hey, the property prices are going through the roof, there's a booming buy-to-let yield on investment, so that's all OK then...

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Also, I'm pretty sure The Levellers are born and bred Brightonians. Could be wrong.

Although the band was formed in Brighton, none of them were born there. Jez is from Crawley but that's as close a local connection there is. Aside from Jez who (afaik) still lives local, the rest of the band live elsewhere these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here