Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Anyone got a nice photo of progress to show us?

Not much going on, apart from all the cans and jacking tower sections are on the beach. The next thing they will do is put the jacking tower sections together. I think the way they are doing it is stacking the cans on top of each other, and then when half way the jacking tower lifts the top section and then slots in the cans in the middle raising the top section as it goes.

i360-005.jpg

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/i360_brighton/

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not much going on, apart from all the cans and jacking tower sections are on the beach. The next thing they will do is put the jacking tower sections together. I think the way they are doing it is stacking the cans on top of each other, and then when half way the jacking tower lifts the top section and then slots in the cans in the middle raising the top section as it goes.

View attachment 66344

Good plan, the crane didn't look tall enough

On longevity I'll make a couple of predictions through my experience that they may not have thought of
1 the obvious salt in the air will also have SAND in it as well on stormy days picked up from sea floor which will scour any nice shiny surface
2 the north facing side will go GREENY, algae/lichen in the air this close to the waves & out of the sun could well have an effect a year in & then ongoing
3 if they use bifold doors in any of the buildings facing south or South west south or south west they will LEAK & any opening windows will most up sharpish

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

On longevity I'll make a couple of predictions through my experience that they may not have thought of
1 the obvious salt in the air will also have SAND in it as well on stormy days picked up from sea floor which will scour any nice shiny surface
2 the north facing side will go GREENY, algae/lichen in the air this close to the waves & out of the sun could well have an effect a year in & then ongoing
3 if they use bifold doors in any of the buildings facing south or South west south or south west they will LEAK & any opening windows will most up sharpish

Whilst buidlings by the sea do not last as long as inland ones I would be VERY surprised if they hadn't thought of these potential problems.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It's not going to be a shiny surface, it's going to have a mesh/grille type cladding attached. See http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ction-update&p=6970222&viewfull=1#post6970222

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wouldn't it have been helpful if you'd sent this list to the developers during their planning phase?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

Get yourself down there and tell them before they get too far with it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst buidlings by the sea do not last as long as inland ones I would be VERY surprised if they hadn't thought of these potential problems.

There could be a team of engineers right now in an office in Delhi going 'holy crap no one said it was by the sea!!!'

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

View attachment 66344

I'm sure I can see the coast of france in the bottom left of that picture !

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm sure I can see the coast of france in the bottom left of that picture !

I think you'll find that's Brighton beach.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is how the jacking tower will be used to build the i360;

View attachment 66362

Full explanation here;

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/latest-news/blog/the-jacking-tower-explained/
Seeing the crane, I thought they were going to plonk (technical term) the sections on top of each other, but I did wonder to myself about the possibility of lifting the top sections and slotting the next ones underneath. I didn't however, realise it would weigh 980 tonnes! That's a bit of a scary thing to lift 162 metres.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Seeing the crane, I thought they were going to plonk (technical term) the sections on top of each other, but I did wonder to myself about the possibility of lifting the top sections and slotting the next ones underneath. I didn't however, realise it would weigh 980 tonnes! That's a bit of a scary thing to lift 162 metres.

Yep, that's a massive weight to lift. If it fails and power drives into it's foundation Brighton & Hove will hear and feel it. I wouldn't want to be jacking it in anything other than calm weather conditions either.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Shite - how much concrete and steel must be in the foundations to cope with that weight in such a small area ??

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Shite - how much concrete and steel must be in the foundations to cope with that weight in such a small area ??

Apparently over 4,000 tonnes of concrete.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't want to be jacking it in anything other than calm weather conditions
I'm going to pop over this afternoon and ask to speak to the foreman, so I can pass on your advice ;)

That 980 tonnes is just sections 4-17, it doesn't include the base, pod or first 3 sections.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Has anyone bid on the window cleaning contract, or is it one of those 'this is my patch' jobbies; also will it be low enough for a house hold ladder to reach when it is lowered? I've got some free time on Thurdays.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Has anyone bid on the window cleaning contract, or is it one of those 'this is my patch' jobbies; also will it be low enough for a house hold ladder to reach when it is lowered? I've got some free time on Thurdays.

I should consult [MENTION=14118]Vegas Seagull[/MENTION] before rushing into this, he might have one or two pointers based on his experience that you might not've thought of.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I should consult [MENTION=14118]Vegas Seagull[/MENTION] before rushing into this, he might have one or two pointers based on his experience that you might not've thought of.

Indeed, I have warm water & 1 (one) drop, no more no less, of washing up liquid in the bucket is exactly what the experts use...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Popped down & had a good chat with a Dutch? Chappie
They have now finished the first stage, the bottom and, er the top are in place
Sections 1,2 & 3 are in place as well as 14,16,16 & 17. No, that is correct!
From now on, cone 3 will be removed while cone 13 is inserted while 14 to 17 are held above it. If you can't follow then some Tate & Kylie sugar cubes may help. Then 13 to 17 will be jacked up & so on while 1 & 2 remain at the base.
Remarkably the 10? Cones will be going in every 48 hours so in 3 weeks it will be transformed.
It's an amazing sight & I recommend to all, especially any kids, to get down here & watch it in progress & be able to say I saw it being built will be a nice memory in years ahead.
The next cone is planned for Weds maybe 11 or 12 am if you're about and every other day, if all in order. I can't make it but be interested to hear reports!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here