Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Is it just me that had the film trailer guy's voice in their head when reading the opening sentence?

Their only hope was to reach for the skies

Tomas kusczak is the giant pole, Hove born and bred is the eccentric donut

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Their only hope was to reach for the skies

Tomas kusczak is the giant pole, Hove born and bred is the eccentric donut

Eccentric?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Officially opened 2pm today. Watched it on the 2hr time-delay webcam on the Argus website. It's making its second trip. (Won't use "flight").

Today it'll be operating until 9.30pm but if anyone was going to watch the firework display it's been cancelled.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was amazed when I listened to BBC Radio Sussex yesterday and they were bigging it up and had been invited to a pre launch sniff around. they got talking to a lady who was billed as " one of the co-architects of the project ".. well not only was I surprised there was an architect..... I was more surprised it took TWO of them to come up with a pole and doughnut... lord help us, an 8 year old could have come up with this.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Today it'll be operating until 9.30pm but if anyone was going to watch the firework display it's been cancelled.

Many thanks for this. I was all loaded up, ready for this with my camera, tripod, bag of flints (to weigh the tripod down). Spent yesterday afternoon sussing out the best place to set up. I'll go and unload the car now!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was amazed when I listened to BBC Radio Sussex yesterday and they were bigging it up and had been invited to a pre launch sniff around. they got talking to a lady who was billed as " one of the co-architects of the project ".. well not only was I surprised there was an architect..... I was more surprised it took TWO of them to come up with a pole and doughnut... lord help us, an 8 year old could have come up with this.

BBC Breakfast was bigging it up this morning, by saying on a clear day, you'll be able to see the Isle of Wight. Yes, you can see the Isle of Wight from the Racecourse or Woodingdean. You don't have to go up a giant pole to do that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BBC Breakfast was bigging it up this morning, by saying on a clear day, you'll be able to see the Isle of Wight. Yes, you can see the Isle of Wight from the Racecourse or Woodingdean. You don't have to go up a giant pole to do that.

I've seen the Isle of Wight from Worthing seafront on a good day myself...

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Have heard 20 miles to 40 miles as the distance you can see on a clear day. Given the height of the pole, and the curvature of the earth, what is the maximum theoretical distance you can see at low tide (assuming a 2m drop in ocean, on a calm day, and zero visibility issues, haze, fog etc :) )

ps I don't know, but would like to.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Have heard 20 miles to 40 miles as the distance you can see on a clear day. Given the height of the pole, and the curvature of the earth, what is the maximum theoretical distance you can see at low tide (assuming a 2m drop in ocean, on a calm day, and zero visibility issues, haze, fog etc :) )

ps I don't know, but would like to.

Approx 26 miles taking a height of 138m

Anyway you can play with this! https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=NaN&h0=138&unit=metric

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You may not like the thing, but it is still a feat of engineering.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A very smooth ride, seats available although you won't see much, room to move around and get to look in all directions, the 20 mins went very quickly
Were there 200 in it? Although I would expect 200 to fit inside, I wouldn't expect them all to be able to stand on the outside and have a view.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Went up at 3 pm today, the tills were down in the bar so the booze was free. I had a glass of champagne and a gin n tonic, the view wasn't bad either

Anyone notice a pattern? The grumbly old men who have not been up it are moaning, moaning, moaning. Anyone that has been up it has really enjoyed it, seen some fantastic pictures from those who did the trip today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here