Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking forward to it being completed. That part of the seafront needs something there in particular to regenerate preston Street which has gone to pot since I moved here nearly 20years ago.

It's for tourists, not locals. I think it's the sort of thing that will end up on the to do list of many who visit the UK's busiest seaside resort. The loan is not out of existing council funds, but from a separate government scheme designed to help fund revenue generating projects. If there were no i-360 there would be no extra money for council services or projects, there would just be no i-360.

FWIW I wish they could have restored the old West Pier to it's former glory with a ballroom and restaurant. IIRC that opportunity was blown when the West Pier trust got too arsey about some of the enabling developments that would have helped raise money to supplement the Heritage Fund money that was on the table (I stand to be corrected on this but this is how I remember it anyway).

#blamehotchilidog

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can fully understand why someone might want to spend a few quid having a bit of fun on the seafront with some friends. I just do not for one minute believe that going up the Eyesore 360 will be "fun".

I've been up loads of towers and things in my time and it's generally been a fun time. In fact I proposed to the Frau at the top of one....not sure how she classifies that particular upward excursion though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The loan is not out of existing council funds, but from a separate government scheme designed to help fund revenue generating projects. If there were no i-360 there would be no extra money for council services or projects, there would just be no i-360.

BUT if i360 go bust, or don't earn enough to service the loan then the taxpayer has to pay it and THAT will affect council services.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's all a bit Blackpool, no?

As mentioned above, not sure of the point really - you get great views of Brighton from all over the place and for free.

Now a rebuilt West Pier would have been magnificent but it looks like that's been totally given up on.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
BUT if i360 go bust, or don't earn enough to service the loan then the taxpayer has to pay it and THAT will affect council services.

It would have to bomb spectacularly for the council to get stiffed on the deal. As I understand it this is a long term deal and money starts coming into the council as soon as the thing is open. Obviously it is not a guaranteed success, nothing is, but the judgement has been made that it is worthwhile.

The council needs to get money from wherever it can as its budget has been constantly slashed by central govt over the past few years. It cannot raise additional council tax, it's can only push car parking so far. The i-360 is a possible source of additional revenue for the council, they would have been remiss in not exploring this opportunity.

Outside grants and inward investment are now becoming more important than ever for not only BHCC but councils all over the country.

I must confess to be a glass half full person so I am more inclined to see the positive side of things than others. Remember that this attraction is aimed at visitors (of whom we have record numbers a the moment) not residents, this would just be another part of their tourist experience. With the additional conference facilities on a prime seafront location I think the scheme has chance of being a reasonable success.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
If this was built in central London it would be great but I can't see it being that successful here, it might get visitors at the start but it won't be long before they start offering deals on the ticket price.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I predict it will be massively successful - summer tourists & foreign students will love it. Guaranteed queues every summer, less popular in the winter.

It's a great design too, futuristic and unique architecture. Will become a well loved landmark for decades to come.

I agree entirely, it will be an exciting new landmark for the city and personally I'm very happy for the council to lend money to the project. I just hope I don't have to read yet another comment on here or the Argus saying "why don't they spend the money on re-building the West Pier". Where have these people been for the last 30 years as that story unfolded?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The first section of the i360's tower is now in place and being fitted after being lifted onto the site this morning.

A second can may also be fitted later today, although we don't know the exact time yet. If not, it will be lifted into place tomorrow.

i360-1.jpg

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Can foreign students afford it? They're generally quite well heeled.

I really cannot believe there are so many miserable and tight ****ers on this board who cannot understand why someone might want to spend a few quid having a bit of fun on the seafront with some friends.

I can!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How successful has the wheel been?

I'm sure more people will be attracted to the i360 than to the wheel, although price may have an effect.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On the positive side it should generate some punters and will be unique - I don't think there is another in the world.
On the negative side, the council had to borrow money to lend it to the developers and I am not convinced ratepayers should be underwriting such massive loans as there is always the chance of it going pear shaped. If the developer's cost case is based upon the wheel being removed, then it should go. I hope the council don't shoot themselves in the foot on that one.
Personally, I am a bit of a traditionalist but have to recognise that the West Pier is never going to be restored and that £100m to replace the Madeira Arches ain't gonna happen. I just hope that the new council identify what key bits of Brighton are worth saving and put some of our money into them, and not tin pot schemes that make life more difficult. The classic example is the Kings Road - basically the whole of the Brighton seafront road is over arches and cellars built in the 1800s - the recent problems at the botton of West Street will be the tip of an iceberg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here