Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The French government planned to celebrate the centennial of the French Revolution with a symbol of France’s industrial prowess. The plan was to build the highest tower in the world. Of all the plans submitted, the judges unanimously chose Gustav Eiffel’s graceful lattice of girders, anchored by four piers.

When the plan, along with its proposed site in the residential neighborhood of Champ de Mars was made public, the protest was immediate. Eminent artists, including Guy de Maupassant and Alexandre Dumas, signed an angry letter to the minister of public works. “We protest with all our strength the useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower is without doubt the dishonour of Paris. Everyone feels it, everyone says it, everyone is profoundly saddened by it.”

As the tower progress, nervous neighbors feared that it would attract lightning, or topple onto their homes, and sued to stop construction. The city would take no responsibility, so Eiffel himself insured the neighbors, and work resumed. Parisians watched in awe & horror as it went up, calling it an “elephant”, a “giraffe”, a “hulking metal beast crouched on all fours”. After it finally opened, it became a huge hit, even with the protesting artists. All except de Maupassant. He hated it so much that he often ate lunch in the tower’s second floor restaurant, which was the only point in the city where he couldn’t see “this tall skinny pyramid of iron ladders, this giant and disgraceful skeleton.”

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Excellent quote about the Eiffel Tower from Bold Seagull. The i360 will be a famous Brighton land-mark and generating profits for a very long time after everyone on this forum is pushing up the daisies...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Awesome. You'll be able to look over the top of Embassy Court.

Drove past it early this morning, complete abomination.
Should have rebuilt the pier with the money,

Yawn... haven't you read anything over the last 30 years about how funding could never be pulled together to re-build the West Pier and why the i360 project succeeded? And that future profits will go towards the West Pier?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I've just had a look at the website for the first time. Having read this thread and seen people debating whether it'll make any money at all, the one thing that stands out are the extra bits that aren't being talked about - the restaurant, tea rooms and conference venue.

It's not just ticket sales that will make money back for the project, those things will all be well used I'd imagine. The pod is also a 200 capacity venue/bar, I reckon it'll be in demand for corporate functions and private hire in the evenings.

They were still interviewing for head of marketing last week... reckon you can get a nightclub on it BTF?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Get down & have a butchers, it's a fantastic but if engineering.
I expect the answer is no, but is there the capability that it is so well engineered that it could handle another few segments in years to come when as I expect a copy is built a little taller to be the new record holder?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm sure it leans inland.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
42 to be exact.

Officially the tallest building in sussex now

CLvQA04WIAA2N32.jpg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just out of interest, will the central pole continue to look as shit as it does at the moment or is there some sort of finish still to be applied. Nowhere near as shiny and futuristic as it looked in the pictures. Plus it casts a bloody huge shadow along the prom when the sun's out but I suppose people will soon get used to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here