Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton & Hove Albion Vs Nantes Friendly (03.08.18)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No, but it's realistic, he was a young player, learning his trade, if he was a 'complete package' , he wouldn't have been here.

Won a penalty in his first game and I would argue that of the loan forwards wev'e had in recent times (Murray apart), he was probably the most productive in the Amexera (I'm thinking Obika, Akpom, Vokes, Wilson, Best....... there are probably others).

I too was hoping we wouldn't be as reliant on Murray as last season, and for me it remains a weakness in our wider squad, but I'm not sure that would mean we would be in a relegation battle.

However, both him and God (aka Bruno), must be approaching their final season, if not beginning it now, and others need to step up.

Perhaps we can start by getting more than one league goal (Dunk) from six of our outfield positions this season?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Perhaps we can start by getting more than one league goal (Dunk) from six of our outfield positions this season?

Quite. If Murray gets 10 that is great, but then the wingers need to hit 6 or 8 each, as does Gross, then the CB's between them 6, both central midfielders need to do a lot better. Propper in particular is a poor finisher from what I can see (regardless of what he has done for Holland).

I know the maths doesn't add up above, but given how strong we are defensively we need score nearer to 50-55

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Quite. If Murray gets 10 that is great, but then the wingers need to hit 6 or 8 each, as does Gross, then the CB's between them 6, both central midfielders need to do a lot better. Propper in particular is a poor finisher from what I can see (regardless of what he has done for Holland).

I know the maths doesn't add up above, but given how strong we are defensively we need score nearer to 50-55

How many did we get last season? I genuinely can't remember.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When you say 'bunch' do you mean better than Hemed and Baldock plus Brown, Ulloa, Locadia & best not forget Chuba Akpom.

Still I'm sure an alarm bell has rung somewhere and I will soon be told the club isn't shitehouse at buying strikers. .

In the last 2 seasons, Murray was a better forward than (in the comparative periods in which had the following players), than Baldock, Hemed, Ulloa and Locadia.

His goals sent us up. His crucial goals kept us up.

I don't know how the hell it did it at that age, when most strikers have rapidly gone downhill (Ulloa), so play in the lower leagues, or the USA or have retired.

Agree with you that the club should've bought a proven replacement, but for several windows now, almost every other club is desperate for that guaranteed 18 PL goals striker. Making the chances of getting one remote and incredibly expensive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If nothing else I'd appreciate some recognition for my attempts to get GM to score a hat-trick/last minute winner* next Saturday.
I won't even put any money on it, making that the surefire bet for the season opener.

*delete as appropriate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If nothing else I'd appreciate some recognition for my attempts to get GM to score a hat-trick/last minute winner* next Saturday.
I won't even put any money on it, making that the surefire bet for the season opener.

*delete as appropriate.

Last minute winner, in case we lose 4-3.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
No, but it's realistic, he was a young player, learning his trade, if he was a 'complete package' , he wouldn't have been here.

Won a penalty in his first game and I would argue that of the loan forwards wev'e had in recent times (Murray apart), he was probably the most productive in the Amexera (I'm thinking Obika, Akpom, Vokes, Wilson, Best....... there are probably others).

I too was hoping we wouldn't be as reliant on Murray as last season, and for me it remains a weakness in our wider squad, but I'm not sure that would mean we would be in a relegation battle.

However, both him and God (aka Bruno), must be approaching their final season, if not beginning it now, and others need to step up.

Frustrating at the moment I know but is it really a weakness when we have Murray, Locadia, Andone and Hemed fighting for 1 position?
Is there any other position on the pitch where we have 4 players for 1 position?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Frustrating at the moment I know but is it really a weakness when we have Murray, Locadia, Andone and Hemed fighting for 1 position?
Is there any other position on the pitch where we have 4 players for 1 position?

It is if Murray is injured Locadia and Andone might have caught SamBaldockitis and CH would rather play Ulloa than Hemed.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think that we are all hoping that Andone and Locadia will hit the ground running and score some goals.

If they hit the ground too hard they will probably be back on the treatment table. I notice that CH said after the game that Andone arrived with a groin injury 'that we knew about'. That seems to be par for the course with our would-be Murray replacements.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Of course the counter argument is that Murray although effective is in the twilight of his career, Hemed is okay, but could be on his way, and the PL is probably a step too far, Locadia appears to have injury issues, and hasn't really impressed to date, and (sadly) Andone has 'arrived with an injury', so it is unclear how good he will be.

Going into Watford we have a potential doubt over Murray, Locadia and Andone carrying injuries, possibly leaving us with Hemed, and only limited options from the bench if we switch formation...... (I realise other can be pushed up, but arguably not their strongest position).

So in comparison with the rest of the team, I would say we are weak in this area.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Of course the counter argument is that Murray although effective is in the twilight of his career, Hemed is okay, but could be on his way, and the PL is probably a step too far, Locadia appears to have injury issues, and hasn't really impressed to date, and (sadly) Andone has 'arrived with an injury', so it is unclear how good he will be.

Going into Watford we have a potential doubt over Murray, Locadia and Andone carrying injuries, possibly leaving us with Hemed, and only limited options from the bench if we switch formation...... (I realise other can be pushed up, but arguably not their strongest position).

So in comparison with the rest of the team, I would say we are weak in this area.

I get what you are saying and we may be weak at the moment but all squads will have weaknesses at times due to injuries. Overall I don't think this is an area we are weak in with all 4 fit. Andone and Locadia do not have a history of long injuries so once fit should provide the options we need. Both are back in training so hopefully be firing in the goals soon - it's just a shame they have missed pre-season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

No change there then :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Sao in comparison with the rest of the team, I would say we are weak in this area.

In comparison with the rest of the squad, I would say we are weak in this area.

Is true.

Probably because everyone else is in the market for decent strikers, there are few about and the fees demanded are out of cautious league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here