Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton & Hove Albion Vs Nantes Friendly (03.08.18)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know what you mean.

Hopefully with more pace and better defenders in the team, one or two players will have more of a free rein to support Andone or Murray. Rather than huge spells in games of a ten man Alamo defence.

Bissouma looks like he limes to press forward a lot.......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know what you mean.

Hopefully with more pace and better defenders in the team, one or two players will have more of a free rein to support Andone or Murray. Rather than huge spells in games of a ten man Alamo defence.
That won't happen with Murray though.

No centre half is scared of Murray outside of the penalty area (dare I say 6 yard box).
He can't get the jump on a high line, without being offside.
He certainly can't beat them when running onto a through ball.

So the centre backs can push up taking the full backs with them, safe in the knowledge the space behind won't be exploited.

At that point we're back to the Alamo.

The club may well be shitehouse when it comes to strikers, if it weren't for it's centre back midas touch we'd be playing Bognor today.

Murray starts we're staring down the barrel of a relegation season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Watched it on a blurry you-tube. Bruno started off with a stormer. In the second half I thought we lost our shape and did not use our left hand side.

Pleased with Bruno, Duffy, Knockaert, Hemed.

Glad I didn't go, remembering v Sevilla I thought it might be too warm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watched it on a blurry you-tube. Bruno started off with a stormer. In the second half I thought we lost our shape and did not use our left hand side.

Pleased with Bruno, Duffy, Knockaert, Hemed.

Glad I didn't go, remembering v Sevilla I thought it might be too warm.

It was fine......just a nice pleasant temperature. Would have been grim in the ESL with a 3pm KO though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That won't happen with Murray though.

No centre half is scared of Murray outside of the penalty area (dare I say 6 yard box).
He can't get the jump on a high line, without being offside.
He certainly can't beat them when running onto a through ball.

So the centre backs can push up taking the full backs with them, safe in the knowledge the space behind won't be exploited.

At that point we're back to the Alamo.

The club may well be shitehouse when it comes to strikers, if it weren't for it's centre back midas touch we'd be playing Bognor today.

Murray starts we're staring down the barrel of a relegation season.

In each of the last two seasons, Murray has stood out as the best of the bunch by a long way. His PL goals last season kept us up.

Can Hughton finally get a striker functioning better than Murray? Andone and/or Locadia need to come up with the goods.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In each of the last two seasons, Murray has stood out as the best of the bunch by a long way.

When you say 'bunch' do you mean better than Hemed and Baldock plus Brown, Ulloa, Locadia & best not forget Chuba Akpom.

Still I'm sure an alarm bell has rung somewhere and I will soon be told the club isn't shitehouse at buying strikers. .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When you say 'bunch' do you mean better than Hemed and Baldock plus Brown, Ulloa, Locadia & best not forget Chuba Akpom.

Still I'm sure an alarm bell has rung somewhere and I will soon be told the club isn't shitehouse at buying strikers. .

Wrong. Actually very much best forget Chuba Akpom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wrong. Actually very much best forget Chuba Akpom.
It wrong because I said 'buying' strikers.

Fortunately they only loaned in Brown, Ulloa (if only someone had said that was a terrible move :lol: ) and Chuba.

Yet here we are again, with a 'should we loan in a striker' thread.
Anyone would think some fans are masochists.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm hoping that Locadia and Andone are as good as Rashford and Yves Bissouma is better than Lingard. Failing that better than Ings.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Well, we bought Leo for £2M and sold him for £10M to a premier league team. Then got him back on loan for nothing.
We bought Bobby for £100k and sold him for £1.5M to a premier league team, to then bring him back on a free to score once more.
We bought Barnes for £200k and sold him for £500k to a premier league team
We bought Tomer for £1M or so and have declined bids of £5M for him all whilst his goals helped us become a premier league team
We bought Murray for £250k and then let him go for free...to then buy him back to be the top scorer, helping us become a premier league team.

Still, you and your 43,000 posts know best as usual.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, we bought Leo for £2M and sold him for £10M to a premier league team. Then got him back on loan for nothing.
We bought Bobby for £100k and sold him for £1.5M to a premier league team, to then bring him back on a free to score once more.
We bought Barnes for £200k and sold him for £500k to a premier league team
We bought Tomer for £1M or so and have declined bids of £5M for him all whilst his goals helped us become a premier league team
We bought Murray for £250k and then let him go for free...to then buy him back to be the top scorer, helping us become a premier league team.

Still, you and your 43,000 posts know best as usual.

I'm always happy to be wrong, but come on even you know that most selective of all time selective lists, still looks poor.

Nobody in their right mind would want to see a comprehensive list of Albion strikers that covers the last 18 years.
Whereas the last 18 years of centre backs is the stuff of dreams.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It shouldn't be long now before someone mentions Jesse Lingard's W/C exploits, while failing to mention his lacklustre Albion performances.

I've spent the Summer so excited about the business the club has done.
I've lashed out at the doomongers, and yet here we are 7 days away from the start of the season, seemingly reliant on GM.
It would seem the club might just have replaced one Sam Baldock with two Sam Baldock's.

My sniveling apologies to Dwayne, Spence et al are going to be tough to write. :lol:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I'm always happy to be wrong, but come on even you know that most selective of all time selective lists, still looks poor.

Nobody in their right mind would want to see a comprehensive list of Albion strikers that covers the last 18 years.
Whereas the last 18 years of centre backs is the stuff of dreams.

I also forgot Sam Baldock. Sorry Sam.
Buying defenders is much cheaper and easier.
Our record of signing central midfielders is no better than Strikers.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It shouldn't be long now before someone mentions Jesse Lingard's W/C exploits, while failing to mention his lacklustre Albion performances.

I've spent the Summer so excited about the business the club has done.
I've lashed out at the doomongers, and yet here we are 7 days away from the start of the season, seemingly reliant on GM.
It would seem the club might just have replaced one Sam Baldock with two Sam Baldock's.

My sniveling apologies to Dwayne, Spence et al are going to be tough to write. :lol:

Lacklustre? Really? Haven’t followed the wider debate, but don’t agree re Lingard’s performances, not outstanding but did okay IMO.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lacklustre? Really? Haven’t followed the wider debate, but don’t agree re Lingard’s performances, not outstanding but did okay IMO.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough maybe I'm being too titsy because I really wasn't expecting GM to feature much this season, let alone start the season opener.
But even so, 'did okay' isn't the most glowing of tributes!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough maybe I'm being too titsy because I really wasn't expecting GM to feature much this season, let alone start the season opener.
But even so, 'did okay' isn't the most glowing of tributes!

No, but it's realistic, he was a young player, learning his trade, if he was a 'complete package' , he wouldn't have been here.

Won a penalty in his first game and I would argue that of the loan forwards wev'e had in recent times (Murray apart), he was probably the most productive in the Amexera (I'm thinking Obika, Akpom, Vokes, Wilson, Best....... there are probably others).

I too was hoping we wouldn't be as reliant on Murray as last season, and for me it remains a weakness in our wider squad, but I'm not sure that would mean we would be in a relegation battle.

However, both him and God (aka Bruno), must be approaching their final season, if not beginning it now, and others need to step up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here