Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Crystal Palace *** Official Match Thread ***

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I hadn't realised this. Maybe have to disown him....?

"March spent two years in Palace’s youth academy between the ages of 11 and 13 "
Ed Aarons is a Palace fan and seems to write this every time he mentions Solly. It's like a security blanket for him. Solly left them to join Eastbourne Borough, then Lewes before choosing Brighton in 2011, despite interest from several EPL clubs. I've never seen a journalist so hung up on where a player played before he was old enough for a scholarship.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think he looks tired, I’d start him on the bench on Sunday.
Agree. And given that he'll be going away on an international break, I'd be very tempted to give him Sunday afternoon off

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah but a decent keeper would have saved the goal no problem.
I'm not so sure. Solly moved the ball to the left and quickly shot, giving the keeper little time to react. Maybe it gets saved some of the time, but I reckon it's in a fair bit too.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Well we won which is good. A relief more than anything to finally beat Palace. European places still very much on. Wasn’t a great game, not a lot of goalmouth action. Was worried after the first 10-15 minutes when Palace pressed us high up the pitch as we struggled to deal with that, but we persisted with our passing game from the back and found a way to deal with it. Goal came at a great time, but with VAR these days I feel like you can’t celebrate properly as I was nervous it was offside, but looking at the replay Match was well onside and it was a very well taken goal. Disappointing we never really built in the goal and didn’t stick 3 or 4 past them as we definitely owe them one big time after all their lucky wins and draws in recent years, but we were fairly comfortable in the end even though it felt like added time was going on forever. Still lots to play for this season with a great opportunity to qualify for Europe and beat last seasons points tally.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought Caicedo was a little lucky, too. There was a pretty reckless-looking challenge in the first half that the ref didn't give a card for, it wasn't that long before Doucoure's second challenge, and I wonder if that was playing on the ref's mind. I think the ref tried to let Veltman and Zaha get on with it, even if it led to some inconsistencies with other challenges elsewhere on the pitch. Overall, while I agree Doucoure could have gone, I don't think the ref was overly terrible, and think we benefitted from his leniency/inconsistency/incompetence, too.

I echo a lot of comments about our performance - it was a poor first 14 minutes from us, but credit to Palace coming to play rather than park the bus. But once we got our goal, I'm not sure they really threatened us. They had some periods of play, but not sure they really threatened with it. We had a lot more of the ball, and I think overcomplicated it too much at times, almost trying to walk it in. Was a bit sloppy at times throughout, but even gifting them the ball didn't worry me too much. I'm not sure we really put their young keeper under much pressure. A couple of long range shots into his gloves, a couple of cross goal passes, that were in savable areas.

I thought Mac Allister did a lot of lovely close control things, in tight spaces, but didn't threaten the goal enough. Colwill looked like he had been out a while, but seemed to improve as the game went on. Veltman did a great job of winding Zaha up.

I'm pretty sure another match continued without VAR earlier this season. I think there were other issues that were at play with the power cut than VAR (maybe a concern that it wasn't just a flicker, concern about the goal line tech (linos tested each before the game continued). Apparently there was a flicker of power loss all around the area (my parents in upper bevendean reported a brief power outage this evening, too).

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Doucoure got away with too much tonight- ref was a bit too shy with the book, probably deciding to give a bit of leniency as a rivalry. Luckily didn’t really affect the result but would have been hard to swallow.

Steele again did well but crikey he did fumble at the worst possible moment.

Can’t whinge otherwise, fun match, Palace lose, we’re looking up and they’re looking down. Job done.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
P.s Solly’s shot was right in the corner so I wouldn’t expect their keeper to save it. Have to admit their young keeper looked very accomplished in goal. Doucoure should’ve had a second yellow for that foul on Caicedo all day long, very clear yellow!

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Worst we’ve played at The Amex since the Villa defeat but who cares. Super important three points.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
hmmmm rough couple of days for Mr Freakout, i have woken up all melancholy.

Could just be the black dog coming back though, it is nearly full moon.

Someone cheer me up please.
Hope that helped a bit!

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Good performance/bad performance…I honestly don’t give a f***! We won, we have the Palace monkey off our back and we have Europe in our crosshairs and, meanwhile, they are all checking the trains to Rotherham. And those dreadfully dull fuckwits can take down their boorish “days since Brighton beat Palace twitter handle now”. This is the best Albion team of all time, my friends, what a time to be alive!

1 goal.

3 points.

12 pints.

Good night, you lovely people x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here