[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Interesting . I would have always put Dunk as a key figure but BDB has been excellent as a centre back and much less toing and froing around the back than when Dunky plays. Mac has been brilliant and changes the way we play to a much more fluid attacking team . Alzate played tonight like he has been playing all season.

The real difference to me is that because of the absences Cucurella seemed to be everywhere.
Indeed this..... much more urgency without Dunk there slowing it all up.... very refreshing, and the catalyst to our faster delivery to our midfield.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jimmy Grimble

If you can’t enjoy this Brighton team, then give up now. It may not get better than this.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
From the Chelsea forum :

"We are supposed to have a world class squad...so I keep hearing anyway. There are 2 main injuries from the first team Chillwell and James...the remainder should be able to beat a team like Brighton."

Nice to see we still carry that label. :flounce:

Quite a few on there basically saying we played bloody well, are a great team with a great manager, and one even commented we're the best team outside the top five - so maybe opinions are changing...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm beginning to wonder if he has some sort of agenda with us. It's odd.

Since our last game against them, I've made a point of watching his post match interviews on MotD (a bit sad, I know, but hey ho). Whilst none of them exactly cover him in glory, equally, none of them have been as bitter as the two he's done after our games.

See the snide comment about our fans applauding a draw for example. He knows full well they were applauding yet another brilliant team performance, not the result. We don't fear the likes of those teams anymore. Fact!

So I wonder what his agenda could be? It's all a bit weird.

Played three drawn three. He really wants to be beating #teamslikebrighton

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Why are we doing this 'two players standing over a corner' thing again tonight?

I really struggle to see what it is supposed to achieve.

Its a tactic to reduce the number of bodies in the box - if we pull one of our shorter players over with the corner-taker [less-likely to win a header from a corner aka Cucurella] then the defending team are forced to counter this by sending out at least one, if not two players, to counter the short-corner attack.

This creates more space in the box by virtue of fewer bodies ....

It's a tactic used if you think your team carries the greater threat from a corner.

That said, for Webster's goal, only Mac Allister was over by the corner but a freeze frame shows Chelsea had all 11 players in their penalty area to mark just 5 Albion attackers.
This suggests to me that Potter saw Chelsea's corner defending as a possible weakness and why he utilised occasional 2-player corner-takers.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sanchez really should have saved that.

Are you taking the p1ss?

No one was stopping that. It was right infront of us and in real time, we were wtf was that? Looked like a rocket.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gross has had a good game. Glad the weekend's abysmal performance didn't get to him.

This, many times over. Not getting the credit he deserves again - I don’t think he generally has. A big part of a tremendous team performance and his corners were spot on. A superb professional.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
In all my years of being a Brighton fan i have always loved the players who although maybe not the greatest in the skill or flair departments have given their all for the cause and the team .The sort who wear their heart on their sleeve , express the joy of playing and you absolutely know are giving everything they have on the day .

BDB through and through! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports