Brighton & Hove Albion sign Sheffield United winger Jamie Murphy on a four-yeat deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is a joke, right ?

No not in the slightest.

Take this very transfer for instance. Supposedly both brighton and Bristol City are chasing Jamie Murphy. Their average gates are probably going to be much the same and what they pay is gonna be much the same.

Jamie and his partner have just had a child, like they have, so they as a family may have to decide where they want to move to. Lets just sy he says to his Partner. Everything is equal in terms of earnings and size of the club and division they are in and he asks her which area would be her preference to relocate to be ?

Where do you think she would choose ?

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
No not in the slightest.

Take this very transfer for instance. Supposedly both brighton and Bristol City are chasing Jamie Murphy. Their average gates are probably going to be much the same and what they pay is gonna be much the same.

Jamie and his partner have just had a child, like they have, so they as a family may have to decide where they want to move to. Lets just sy he says to his Partner. Everything is equal in terms of earnings and size of the club and division they are in and he asks her which area would be her preference to relocate to be ?

To be fair Bristol isn't bad either. Surely our training ground and stadium must come into account too?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
No not in the slightest.

I've posted her a copy of Sussex Life. That should tip the balance.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
No not in the slightest.

If this were the actual case, then it would depend on where their respective families live & which location is more convenient for them.
On a purely football front, I would of course say Brighton offers more, BUT...Bristol City have that promotion momentum, which left us when Poyet walked / was shown the door.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
No not in the slightest.

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that....however, if Brighton (as much as I love the place) is such an attraction to WAGS I can't quite get my head around why last season when Brighton was equally lovely, a whole crowd of WAGS didn't have any influence on a number of players we thought we had all but signed. ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No not in the slightest.

Probably Bristol because you can buy a much bigger house for the money you get!!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Do you avidly read other clubs' forums then to establish whether they are in fact exactly the same? I bet loads of clubs are doing just that.

I'm sure other clubs do exactly the same - but we never actually seem to sign anyone to back it up.

How many threads have there been on here over the last 12 months outlining people we are interested in who haven't signed for a whole raft of reasons? This thread has now degenerated into whether he'll choose us or Bristol City.......

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No not in the slightest.

If this is their first baby and assuming her parents/friends etc are where they are now, if she has any influence over him at all, she will want to stay put. Not the right answer that we want to hear, but it wouldn't be unreasonable.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If this is their first baby and assuming her parents/friends etc are where they are now, if she has any influence over him at all, she will want to stay put. Not the right answer that we want to hear, but it wouldn't be unreasonable.

YES first child but both parents families are in West of Scotland.

I have been trying to swing it with him to sign for Albion. The coach who signed him as a Youth for Motherwell at 16 and then again for Sheff Utd from Motherwell I tried to influence him to influence Jamie to sign for Brighton. I don't know whether he did or not because i suppose he prabably wants him to stay at Sheff Utd but it was worth a try.

Or maybe he doesn't because they have a new manager themselves and maybe he won't be there much longer if Adkins brings in his own staff

Anyhow that is off topic. I still think his Partner will have a big say in it, hence my response when someone asked me if I was being serious when I stated that WAGs have a major say in such matters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is some truth in all the arguments.

Firstly the contract will determine any further thoughts.

If he has a number of options at similar amounts then managers personality/standing in the game and how the clubs ambitions are relayed to him would be critical, what role the player might have and his future potential under any given manager etc,

Stadium and training ground would offer an unbias insight into the longer term potential of the club, but might make his agent salivate a little bit and expect a better contract than the other clubs we are up against, we can never be sure.

Wives do have a say, but its less likely to become problematic if player and agent can tell her its the best offer on the table.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
No not in the slightest.

With a capacity capped at around 16/17k next season it's unlikely and to be honest I don't see Bristol City competing with us as its a rugby city as well as having rovers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With a capacity capped at around 16/17k next season it's unlikely and to be honest I don't see Bristol City competing with us as its a rugby city as well as having rovers.

Bristol City on a promotion roll, we have a massive feel bad hangover from last season, I very definitely see them competing with us for both players and league position. At present I'd suggest we are in a bad way on the pitch. All this may change with some signings but at the moment Bristol must be chomping at the bit for the season to start. Are we???

The fact that they play rugby there is irrelevant, they have a better history than us over the last 30 years.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He will earn more here and of that, I'm certain. If it's wages that sway him then he'll be a Brighton player before long.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Bristol City on a promotion roll, we have a massive feel bad hangover from last season, I very definitely see them competing with us for both players and league position. At present I'd suggest we are in a bad way on the pitch. All this may change with some signings but at the moment Bristol must be chomping at the bit for the season to start. Are we???

The fact that they play rugby there is irrelevant, they have a better history than us over the last 30 years.
What history's that then?
One playoff semi defeat?
Not a lot between us both in the last 30 years and we've had three 2nd tier playoffs and champions a few times....Enlighten me?
Our recent history is mostly been clouded by no stadium and no money issues.
Yes I see them finishing above us along with another 18 or so and was making my point on attendances:)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Adkins must really hate us. :lolol:
Seems he's trying to make Murphy part of a swap deal for Billy Sharpe. Why can't he just use our cash fee to spend on the player ?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yep he certainly does

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 2,716

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports