Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion sign Sheffield United winger Jamie Murphy on a four-yeat deal

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Only from the people who feel the need to post about it every 5 minutes and I suspect that their opinion will not change until we have signed someone (or perhaps more than one) from under the noses of other clubs. I do not think it is the opinion of the whole board - well not yet anyway!

This board just needs a sticky at the top called 'Done Deal' containing only posts detailing confirmed signings. Apart from HB&B voting Tory at the recent elections 99% of what's posted on here never transpires and it's frankly a waste of everyone's frickin' time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As others have noted we need a good season to secure 1901 sales due for renewal in the spring.

This 1901 issue comes up on here more than the cup final money but i never quite grasp it. I'm not underestimating it but we always need a good season, and new ideas to help with season ticket renewal and keep ticket sales high , let alone 1901 renewals. Every year. Our match day / ticket revenue is one of the highest in the league but even the relatively small falls in recent seasons of ST holders from a peak of 22.5K to a likely 20K this season have had impact on the bottom line.

But the argument that its only now and because of the "1901 renewals" that the board have woken up or should wake up to the idea that a good season on the pitch might somehow involve digging deep and investing in the squad and that might in the end sell a few tickets. I guess the chairman worked that out a while ago in his 6 long years at the club . Probably at that point in the year, every year, when he sits down to write that £10m-15m cheque to underwrite the losses mostly caused by the eye watering salaries of the first team squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only problem with this point of view is the simple fact that Hughton joined in January and did none of these things.

Why would he now suddenly think 'the best way to score goals is...', having just presided over the WORST 4 MONTHS IN AMEX HISTORY.
The worst four months in Amex history were the four months BEFORE he arrived ............

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The worst four months in Amex history were the four months BEFORE he arrived ............
Absolutely not.
The previous 4 months are easily the next worse, but at least things happened.

Sure it was usually bad things involving the opposition playing the ball into space where fullbacks once were.
But stuff happened, we had an occasion good game and a fair few shockers.

The Hughton 4 months was devoid of anything that even resembled football, let alone excitement.
Naturally v Leeds is the exception that proves the rule.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Is it April 1st COG is dog shit at championship level as the stats prove 1 league goal (a penalty) all season.

proven based on what? What i saw last season was a shit player who had two decent games

Based on him scoring 15 goals the previous season in the championship. That's one more in fact than Ulloa got in the league that season (though admittedly in more games).

Edit: I see Chaileyjem has beaten me to it

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This 1901 issue comes up on here more than the cup final money but i never quite grasp it. I'm not underestimating it but we always need a good season, and new ideas to help with season ticket renewal and keep ticket sales high , let alone 1901 renewals. Every year. Our match day / ticket revenue is one of the highest in the league but even the relatively small falls in recent seasons of ST holders from a peak of 22.5K to a likely 20K this season have had impact on the bottom line.

But the argument that its only now and because of the "1901 renewals" that the board have woken up or should wake up to the idea that a good season on the pitch might somehow involve digging deep and investing in the squad and that might in the end sell a few tickets. I guess the chairman worked that out a while ago in his 6 long years at the club . Probably at that point in the year, every year, when he sits down to write that £10m-15m cheque to underwrite the losses mostly caused by the eye watering salaries of the first team squad.

CJ backs-up Chairman shocker - hold the front page! ;-)

Seriously, the purse strings were a little too tight for my liking last season... about £15M in player sales received, about 1 fifth of that spent on poor quality acquisitions.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The only thing O'Grady has proved is when he plays regularly in this division teams finish in the bottom 6. Nice guy, doesn't score goals.

Surely you wouldn't be naive enough to place the blame entirely on him?

With Barnsley (based on what I can deduce from the statistics available, having not watched Barnsley all that season) he did his job. Scored 15 in a side that got relegated, that appears a pretty decent return yet they went down despite his best efforts.

With us he's had very little service all season, our chance creation has been dire.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Hughton 4 months was devoid of anything that even resembled football, let alone excitement.

"anything"...Tex and Baldock at Ipswich, Kaz's goal v Derby, COG v Brentford in the cup, Baldock's goal v Arsenal, Ring of Fire at end of Charlton, and Calde's face v Brum were all exciting as far as last season went. And admittedly it all dried up at end of March. Although listening to Millwall collapse against Blackburn on the radio to save our bacon had a frisson of excitement and sort of qualifies.
I suggest you are exaggerating just a bit. ;)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The only problem with this point of view is the simple fact that Hughton joined in January and did none of these things.

Why would he now suddenly think 'the best way to score goals is...', having just presided over the WORST 4 MONTHS IN AMEX HISTORY.

Well then that's Hughton's prerogative, hardly the player's fault.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
CJ backs-up Chairman shocker - hold the front page! ;-)

Seriously, the purse strings were a little too tight for my liking last season... about £15M in player sales received, about 1 fifth of that spent on poor quality acquisitions.

Ha ! . HI B.W. In your view a) how many millions did we spend last year. and b) how much more should it have been ? c) how did it compare to the other 23 clubs in the division ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh so everybody else can except me. :dunce: :lol:

Anyway that's hardly the most riveting selection for AMEX football, is it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely not.
The previous 4 months are easily the next worse, but at least things happened.

Sure it was usually bad things involving the opposition playing the ball into space where fullbacks once were.
But stuff happened, we had an occasion good game and a fair few shockers.

Naturally v Leeds is the exception that proves the rule.

Totally disagree. At least we were organised under Hughton, who did what he had to do to keep us up. Sami was clueless and he had no idea how to setup a team; we were a complete ****ing shambles under the Clueless One.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I absolutely hate that stat that keeps getting trotted out that COG scored more goals than Ulloa in that season.

Leo scored 1 goal almost every 2 games in the Championship, and went on to score a few in the PL.

COG's record before last season at Championship or below is 88 goals in 373 games - worse than a goal every 4 games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well then that's Hughton's prerogative, hardly the player's fault.
But you can't say in relation to next season 'with COG and Baldock playing together...', when Hughton refused to play that formation all of last season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Totally disagree. At least we were organised under Hughton, who did what he had to do to keep us up. Sami was clueless and he had no idea how to setup a team; we were a complete ****ing shambles under the Clueless One.
Strange how I completely agree.

We became a well organised defensive unit, even when we NEEDED goals.

One dullest of dullard performance after the next, as we slowly flirted ever more with relegation.
Hughton never did anything other than reign in the full backs and play even more holding midfielders.

It was like watching Poyet on prozac.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Bristol City have plenty of money behind them, a squad high on confidence after smashing League One last season, plenty of forward momentum & a new (redeveloped) stadium going up. I bet they're quietly thinking they could have a go for the play offs next time round- after all, Wolves and Brentford were both in contention last year.

It's also a decent place to live- so I'd imagine they'd be reasonably attractive to many players. Let's not get all sniffy about them because they were in League One until recently. They're no Rotherham.

Agreed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"anything"...Tex and Baldock at Ipswich, Kaz's goal v Derby, COG v Brentford in the cup, Baldock's goal v Arsenal, Ring of Fire at end of Charlton, and Calde's face v Brum were all exciting as far as last season went. And admittedly it all dried up at end of March. Although listening to Millwall collapse against Blackburn on the radio to save our bacon had a frisson of excitement and sort of qualifies.
The game vs Birmingham at the Amex last year is my absolute favourite Amex game, whereas the Amex game vs Millwall last season my worst ever Amex misery.

I reckon the Hughton era has been far better than the Sami one.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here