Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion - a most remarkable football club

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Sorry for coming back in so quickly but that really is the most shocking of posts. It is actually an insult to the shared history and efforts. Good for the affiliate pay-per-clicks I suspect.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Oh....thats quite a few! 46 only here....but i'm in...thick and thin is the way i see it like a marriage (dam i forgot i'm separated lol)

Oh believe me I have been a thick and thin man with 58 years supporting you had to be. But some of the strokes being pulled now I just can't go along with anymore.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think people are misinterpreting me.

I don't believe Hyypia should still have his job, and I'm struggling to believe he still has. Hell, I even spent £4.99 on www.HasHyypiaBeenSackedYet.com

BUT, if he isn't sacked (and it doesn't seem to be imminent) and he does go on to turn it around, it WOULD be another remarkable chapter in the life of our football club. Massive risk though.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I'm trying to think of a time when we actually had a mediocre season finishing in mid-table obscurity. Mickey Adams first season in L2 when we just missed out on the play offs? It's never dull that's for sure.

I would love to finish mid table. You can start blooding youngsters.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When almost every other football club would have parted ways with Sami Hyypia by now, the Albion seem to be standing firm. Showing loyalty in the face of adversity, considerable fan pressure and giving him every chance possible to turn it round. It would be one hell of a comeback if Hyypia did manage to drag us out of this most boggy mire.

Is it loyalty or plain stubborn-ness in refusing to accept that major mistakes have been made and are continuing to be made? And you're right, it would be a hell of a comeback to come back from the clusterf*ck that is the current situation but let's be real here - it's extremely unlikely to happen. All the evidence points one way and we're in danger of leaving it late, as we did with Micky Adams mkII before we try to fix anything.

Yes, Bloom owns the club and is taking the risks but it's risk-taking with a football club that we all support and love very dearly. Beware Messrs Bloom and Barber with this intransigence, us Brighton fans wont be druv.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If all goes quiet and time is given etc etc, would like to know what qualities have been shown thus far to encourage belief in recovery from a very tricky situation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Despite all the bickering and in-fighting going on right now, I'd hope there is one thing that we can all agree on: Brighton & Hove Albion is a pretty remarkable football club.

Our back story is pretty much unrivalled in British football, and almost certainly beyond these shores as well. The demise of the Goldstone, the triumph at Edgar Street, the Gillingham exile, the return to Brighton, the almost endless campaigning which finally resulted in the Temple of Bloom, the fairytale opening day comeback to beat Doncaster and the oh-so-close attempts to reach the promised land of the Premier League. Remarkable, truly remarkable.

Is another chapter of remarkable-ness being written right now? When almost every other football club would have parted ways with Sami Hyypia by now, the Albion seem to be standing firm. Showing loyalty in the face of adversity, considerable fan pressure and giving him every chance possible to turn it round. It would be one hell of a comeback if Hyypia did manage to drag us out of this most boggy mire.

(Looking forward to the insta-replies suggesting that Paul Barber has paid me to write this)

Everything you say is true, but it stops short of going on to any dissection of our current on-field travails. They are squarely the result of Sami's lack of nous. For a few games, the 'bedding in' excuse was reasonable. Then for a few more, there were a couple of results that were plain unlucky. But not now - its gone on too long. THREE wins in TWENTY games, and no signs that he has what it takes to halt the slide.

Sorry, enough is enough.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
58 years supporting me and I am out.

Its 39 years in total for me but for much of the last 20 It was almost a second job. Once the stadium battle had been won I was loving being only involved on a matchday but the Poyet debacle (as well as the oatway stuff), the garcia departure and the leaks before hand in an attempt to discredit him plus the more obvious statements afterwards, and the fact that barber talks like an over inflated David Brent whilst charging BA premium prices alongside a Ryanair 'everything has a price' strategy, have broken me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Paying you would leave an audit trail. He's far to clever for that.

You could almost have said that this is remarkable as the club that killed the goose laying golden eggs via its ham fisted current strategy

Because for now having given way to much of my life on albion matters these last 20 years, I too am out, primarily due to the product on the pitch and the marketing and comms strategy off it.

It's certainly a remarkable club when the ones defending the status quo are a gang of Palace Ultra wannabees, most of whom weren't alive in the dark days, and many of the grizzled veterans who should be revelling in what WE finally built feel so alienated by it they no longer want to turn up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It would indeed be most remarkable, I guess it's his own money at stake if Hyypia takes us down, so fair play to him for taking the gamble.

You never know, it might turn out alright in the end.

:)

Personally i do think its time for a change ...but only after the last three matches..as i perhaps have been more patient than some (quite a few)....but what i am finding hard to take is this almost hate for a man who perhaps only a year ago was almost seen as untouchable (note i don't think anyone is beyond criticism) how times change.....Bloom a man who has transformed this club in terms of a stadium and appointing 2 managers who have given us a promotion and 2 play offs with a chance to be promoted to the Premier league....we are now experiencing our worst season for a while ...but we've had a heck of a lot worse and yet you would have thought from so many posts that he has never presided over any success at Brighton. Perhaps its time for some to stop throwing there toys out of the pram.

Last edited:

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I think people are misinterpreting me.

I don't believe Hyypia should still have his job, and I'm struggling to believe he still has. Hell, I even spent £4.99 on www.HasHyypiaBeenSackedYet.com

BUT, if he isn't sacked (and it doesn't seem to be imminent) and he does go on to turn it around, it WOULD be another remarkable chapter in the life of our football club. Massive risk though.

Hyypia will not turn it around, he does'nt have the capability because he is unbelievably shit. So are the rest of clowns running the show. Clueless joke of a club is what we are.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
many of the grizzled veterans who should be revelling in what WE finally built feel so alienated by it they no longer want to turn up.

But surely what we fought for, was the right to be a NORMAL club - for the right to only have to worry about our team being shit, and the manager needing to be sacked, rather than worrying about the club's very existance. Well, we've got that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh believe me I have been a thick and thin man with 58 years supporting you had to be. But some of the strokes being pulled now I just can't go along with anymore.

Everyones entitled to there choice and opinion..i'll read and take note of sensible posters like you..but you understand i will reply too :)

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Amazing work by the club to take a team on an upward spiral on the way to the Prem with 30k crowds to a team on it's way to League 1 and losing half your support in a few months, most remarkable

We're just a team full of loanees, team full of loanees....Truly Remarkable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here