Brighton Estate Agent Recommendations?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions etc - keep 'em coming! Definitely want to avoid the chains if we can as we've had rubbish service from them in the past. Our flats near Brighton station so would prefer an agent in Brighton rather than Hove if possible though I guess most people do their house hunting on the internet these days so it doesn't matter so much...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm looking to BUY at the moment. Where's your gaff?

Most agents just seem to point us towards Rightmove!

The lazy ones do ! It is a bit different though when you're the buyer as your not the customer. Personally, when I sell a property, I expect a little more for my £2.5k plus than an entry on Rightmove !

virgs

Aug 31, 2004
Defintely sawyer and co . In hove.......have used them 3 times. Avoid Brices like the plague

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions etc - keep 'em coming! Definitely want to avoid the chains if we can as we've had rubbish service from them in the past. Our flats near Brighton station so would prefer an agent in Brighton rather than Hove if possible though I guess most people do their house hunting on the internet these days so it doesn't matter so much...

Graham Farthing, Austin Gray, Seven Dials is your Man.

virgs

Aug 31, 2004
NO to fox and sons ..suspect theyre not entirely honest ....they said theyd only introduce new properties to me if i took out a mortgage with them ...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely YES it does !!!!!!!!!!! It's how an agent handles the enquiries from Rightmove that counts. How, or indeed if, they feed back comments to you. Suggestions to improve your chances of selling. Get the best offer for you property. You could easily have made the same statement before Rightmove - "Just as long as the Estate agent advertises in the local property papers then surely it doesn't matter who you go with". A very naive, and surprising, statement from you Bozza.

I've let myself down, I've let you down and, worst of all, I've let the Albion down.

I've only ever sold 3 properties in my life so it's not something I have much experience of. I just know that today, as a buyer, Rightmove is about the only place I look. I guess I notice significant differences between the qualities of the listings on Rightmove so I know what I'd be looking for an agent to put up in order for my property to have the best chance of selling via that avenue.

Cuffs

Jan 29, 2010
Leigh Brand from Spencer and Leigh, Based out in Patcham but sold my flat in Hove in a week after town centre agents wasted our time for 6 months

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Do get 2 or 3 Agents round to give you valuations. I have worked in the industry for 25 years, both corporate and independant. I would advise that you are much better going with an independant Agent who will work for you and not favour a potential buyer( unfortunately many corporates do). You will also get a more personal level of service from an independant. If you want any advice after the valuations PM me. I will happily give you unbiased advice. Good luck!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personally, when I sell a property, I expect a little more for my £2.5k plus than an entry on Rightmove !

so did i, but im afraid thats all you get. lets face it, other than holding keys, theres not alot else most of them do for the flats and houses at the low end. i expect there's more attention paid to larger (and more profitable) houses. If someone started up a business as a key holder and poster of ads to Rightmove for a flat fee, say £500, i reckon they'd clean up in large towns.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
so did i, but im afraid thats all you get. lets face it, other than holding keys, theres not alot else most of them do for the flats and houses at the low end. i expect there's more attention paid to larger (and more profitable) houses. If someone started up a business as a key holder and poster of ads to Rightmove for a flat fee, say £500, i reckon they'd clean up in large towns.

I fully understand the cynicism ( to agree with it to a certain extent ) but there are Estate Agents out there that do provide more than that. With Dean & Co I has a weekly call with them to discuss the viewings that had taken place and suggestions based on feedback. They part funded an open day and kept me abreast of local sales and prices. OK - you could do this yourself but it's nice to get such service. Fox and Sons on the other hand took my sign up fee ( Dean & Co charged nothing for them to take on the property ) and then all I got was a printout from their web portal each month - something I had access to anyway. After 4 weeks I told them I considered they hadn't provided the service they agreed to and had even lied to to me about the number of potential clients they had interested in the type of property I was selling. I ripped up the contract and told them to take me to court if they objected. Strangely they agreed to cancel the contract.

Estate Agency is a service industry and I expect some service from them - most are useless and give the minority a bad name. If all I wanted was a web advert I could do that and save myself a fortune.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
Graham Farthing - Austin Gray
Danny Norris - Mishon Welton

Both top blokes.

Agree with this - both good guys who'll get the job done. Ditto Mark Welton at Mishon Welton. Spencer and Leigh also do the business but can be a bit slippery.

Totally agree on other comments on Mishon Mackay - they'll over value it to get you on the books and then lose interest pretty much immediately.

At the moment don't pay more than 1% for sole agency either - they're all desperate.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Do get 2 or 3 Agents round to give you valuations. I have worked in the industry for 25 years, both corporate and independant. I would advise that you are much better going with an independant Agent who will work for you and not favour a potential buyer( unfortunately many corporates do). You will also get a more personal level of service from an independant. If you want any advice after the valuations PM me. I will happily give you unbiased advice. Good luck!

Thanks - may well take you up on that! We do plan on doing your first suggestion, its just picking them thats difficult!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports