Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Estate Agent Recommendations?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Afternoon all!

We're going to put our flat on the market soon and wondered if anyone had any Estate Agents in Brighton that they would recommend for us to market with or alternatively those to be avoided!

Thanks in advance,

Z

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not exactly in Brighton but I would highly recommend Dean & Co in Hove. Failing that try Spencer and Leigh in Patcham.

What ever you do DON'T use Fox & Sons ( absolutely useless ) or Mishon Mackey ( absolute scammers who will over value your property and then lose interest after the first two weeks but continue to say they are handing out your details when they aren't !!!!! ).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Graham Farthing - Austin Gray
Danny Norris - Mishon Welton

Both top blokes.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Can't recommend one, but can advise to avoid King & Chasemore. We bought a house via them (the one by the Brewey Tap), and the estate agent involved lied so much to us and the vendors that my solicitor began legal proceedings against him, but dropped them after he eventually shut up. The deal almost fell through because of him continually lying, with both parties possibly losing large sums of cash that had been outlayed.

An absolute c*nt of a man.

I wouldn't touch them again if they were the last Estate Agents on earth.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Graham Farthing - Austin Gray
Danny Norris - Mishon Welton

Both top blokes.

Went to school with Graham so would agree but aren't you slightly biased US given your occupation and therefore referrals from agents ? :whistle:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do your home work.
Watch an episode of 'Selling Houses' with Andrew Winter (he's a plonker, but he's right).
Get a few agents round, ask for realistic valuations, tell them you won't just go with the highest.

And don't even think about paying the fees they ask you too. You should be looking at 1 or 1.25%.
Also don't sign into contracts as long as they ask you to (ie, if they ask for x months, reduce it etc).

PM if you want more advice.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What referrals from agents ? I don't get any. I have no association with Graham or Danny.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
As a rule of thumb, I'd say avoid chain agents. They sell you the spiel of "wider coverage" but it means frig all.

Brand Vaughan were very good when I used them

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As a rule of thumb, I'd say avoid chain agents. They sell you the spiel of "wider coverage" but it means frig all.

I agree com. Avoid corporates.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

I'm buying from Brand Vaughan and I have to say that I think they are terrific. Had some positive experience with Cubbitt and West. Had quite a lot of dealins with Fox and Sons and have had rather mixed results. Great at finding buyers, but they are wider than Barry Fry and therefore hard work.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
My opinion. Don't go with any estate agent that has a mortgage broker within the branch. They make buyers lives nightmares. We bought from Fox and Sons in Haywards Heath and if you made an offer you had to go and have a chat with the resident mortgage broker. Now I had done my homework om the mortgage front so know what we could get. He was a bit shocked when I was able to beat the best he could offer by about £100 a month.

He then tried to pressure us with going with his offer on the grounds they would take it off the market there and then. We stuck with our guns (they didnt take it off the market until we had a firm offer) and it eventually it all worked out but they certainly made it hard for us and they were times when we thought about pulling out and going elsewhere.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
My advice would be to pick a local, independent agent who know your patch inside out.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Not exactly in Brighton but I would highly recommend Dean & Co in Hove. Failing that try Spencer and Leigh in Patcham.

What ever you do DON'T use Fox & Sons ( absolutely useless ) or Mishon Mackey ( absolute scammers who will over value your property and then lose interest after the first two weeks but continue to say they are handing out your details when they aren't !!!!! ).

Another vote for Dean and Co if your flat is in Hove/Portslade/Mile Oak/Southwick. Proper old school independent quality agent, recently opened in Portslade old village, as well as their longstanding HQ in Hangleton by Grenadier!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
In this age of Rightmove does it really matter who you go with as long as they are on Rightmove?

Absolutely YES it does !!!!!!!!!!! It's how an agent handles the enquiries from Rightmove that counts. How, or indeed if, they feed back comments to you. Suggestions to improve your chances of selling. Get the best offer for you property. You could easily have made the same statement before Rightmove - "Just as long as the Estate agent advertises in the local property papers then surely it doesn't matter who you go with". A very naive, and surprising, statement from you Bozza.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm looking to BUY at the moment. Where's your gaff?

Most agents just seem to point us towards Rightmove!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here