Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton buses

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I see a lot of bus routes are still no operating . With the bus company saying

Unfortunately the snow is not thick enough to enable us to safely use snow chains. We are checking all parts of the city and will get buses back on their normal routes as soon as we can. There is severe traffic congestion in the city centre too which is causing delays to buses which are running.

Then surely with the money that they are making
They should invest in some bloodt winter tyres

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Get yourself a car, a lot more convenient and personal.
Go straight to where you want to be, don't have to share and no waiting at bus stops.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Asda sell winter tyre snow blankets that wrap around your tyre in much the same way as a Formula 1 tyre warmer does. They give just as much grip as snow chains apparently. At £35 for 4, there's no excuse not to get them, although I'm not sure if they come in 'bus' size :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And only £5 an hour to park...

Let's not forget about petrol costs, and all the other costs which come of owning a car.

The bus is the best means of transport for many, and more often than not the service is fantastic. Yes, the drivers will attempt to leave you behind if you're running to try and get on.. But in general it's a very good service and to be fair to them, the whole country is totally unprepared for snow and the fact is we don't get enough to make chains, etc, a viable option.

Gritting bus routes - because they were bus routes - used to be a priority for the council. That's no longer the case. The priority is containing public expenditure and keeping Council Tax under control.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Blimey, how much would it cost to buy chains for every bus? Also, by the time every vehicle had them fitted it would be the middle of April.... Have you ever tried to fit snow chains to a large vehicle?

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
It will be interesting to see how they cope with getting the buses out the garage once they move to Hollingbury when the weather is bad

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It will be interesting to see how they cope with getting the buses out the garage once they move to Hollingbury when the weather is bad

I didn't know about this, when that happening? Is it Conway Street which is going, or Whitehawk?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I Have heard that this relocation may not be happening.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gritting bus routes - because they were bus routes - used to be a priority for the council. That's no longer the case. The priority is containing public expenditure and keeping Council Tax under control.

In my day, if you woke up for work and there was a clag of snow,you just drove the shortest route to the nearest bus route knowing that since 6.30 am the roads would be heavily gritted and lovely wide wheeled heavy old buses would have crushed the snow to slush. Wherever you wanted to go, follow a bus route and do minimum driving on rat runs or residential roads...simples.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Buses now doing the very hilly Lower Bev.

Remember, buses now have all the weight (engine) at the back which makes steering on icy roads not so easy. Also there is less road space now, compared with 20-30 years ago, as there are so many more cars parked along our roads and all those drivers would be most annoyed if a bus slid into a parked car.

Buses now doing the very hilly Lower Bev.

Remember, buses now have all the weight (engine) at the back which makes steering on icy roads not so easy. Also there is less road space now, compared with 20-30 years ago, as there are so many more cars parked along our roads and all those drivers would be most annoyed if a bus slid into a parked car.
I remember going out to Hollingdean a couple of years ago, to check whether the snowy roads there really were unsuitable for a minibus to run along, as had been reported. In theory it might have been safe, but the reality was that there had been a number of incidents of cars sliding into other cars parked at the side of the road. I think there are just too many regular motorists these days who have little experience of dealing with icy conditions.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Blimey, how much would it cost to buy chains for every bus?

Not every bus, just those used in forgotten places in the CITY like Woodingdean.

A chained bus could start from the bottom of Elm Grove and do the 22 loop and back. Another chained bus could run the 2 route between Sutherland Road and Rottingdean and back.
I am sure passengers would prefer to have a bus relay than nothing at all.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
The number 81 seems to be amongst the first to go each time, to the disdain of many elderly folk near the Pepperpot. I don't understand why myself as a mere trimming of parts of the route would suffice. I've lived in the area most of my life. It never used to be like this.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I believe one of the problems with chains is that there's seldom enough snow! Where the snow is thin, or not at all on main roads, the chains would cause damage to the road surface.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I believe one of the problems with chains is that there's seldom enough snow! Where the snow is thin, or not at all on main roads, the chains would cause damage to the road surface.

This.

I don't even know why chains got mentioned.

I've used them in the Alps.
They are a nightmare to put on, very noisy, you have to drive slow, and the moment you hit tarmac you must take them off which takes ages.

Brighton never has the conditions.

Even in Ice Road Trucker conditions, they avoid them at all costs.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I never mentioned chains I took the quote from Brighton and hove's bus website
What i was saying is why cant the bus company invest in some winter tyres the woulkd only need to fit them to certain buses at certain times If they used for one or two weeks of the year they would last for ages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here