Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Brighton bottom of the League (and Burnley top).

el punal

yeah, but the pubs in Ipswich are shite whereas Newcastle city centre is brilliant. Both welcoming to away fans though.
When we played Newcastle away in the Championship, we lost 2-0 by the way, I decided to try the Mile Castle after the game. It’s a huge pub with about ten bouncers on the door. Muggins here turned up wearing an Albion shirt and asked to be let in - and they did! The place was absolutely heaving with Geordies decked out in black and white. I have never been made to feel so welcome as then. Loads of their fans shook my hand, offered me a pint, told me they loved Chris Hughton, and said we’d be promoted with Newcastle. A superb night out - but then they did win 2-0 which probably helped!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The Amex has very little in the way of pubs but for away fans surely the city centre is where they'd want to be where they can enjoy the hundreds of pubs on offer? Brighton has to be one of the best cities in the UK for pubs and number of pubs by population.

I suspect if we were still in Hove a large number of fans would still choose to hit brighton pre and post match.

I would love it if the Amex was in the city centre as I attend matches as a tourist pretty much but I'd estimate 70% of Albion fans aren't residents of the the city anyway so are already travelling from the wider Sussex area?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd also add that the Amex is much more convenient then some of the other sites that were explored and whilst I'm sure I'm in the minority as I don't do it regularly, the short hop to Falmer from the drinking holes of Brighton sets up the pre match buzz for me in the same way the walk from Brighton to Hove did as a teenager

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I reckon so.

Does the uni campus only have one bar now? In the late 90s/early 00s there were 4 at least. The Grapevine, East Slope and 2 others, the names of which have slipped my mind.
So East Slope got knocked down for the new blocks a few years back and Grapevine close in about 2007 when I was studying there (as did a very small cocktail bar in Park Village). There is Northfield Bar at the far end of the campus and Falmer Bar, and there used to be a bar right by the library too for post grads I think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here