Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton away at Crewe today

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Last season we got a point at Crewe. This season we've got nowt against a weaker Crewe side playing without their best striker. A long, hard season lies ahead me thinks.

On the positive side, we did shit all over them apparently and the woodwork saved them twice. On the negative, we couldn't convert all our possession. Ho hum...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Without adding to the midfield i think your right..and what is it with Kerry
Mayo..teams must be rubbig their hands when they see him in the starting line-up..he's so f***ing slow !!!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Without adding to the midfield i think your right..and what is it with Kerry
Mayo..teams must be rubbig their hands when they see him in the starting line-up..he's so f***ing slow !!!!!!

Once again - ten different managers have played Kerry in their team. Maybe they can see something that you can't. Is speed everything that a player needs? Is he even that slow?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Once again - ten different managers have played Kerry in their team. Maybe they can see something that you can't. Is speed everything that a player needs? Is he even that slow?

i think it does - wide men are generally the quickest players on the pitch. So in order to deal with them, a full back needs to have pace. You look at the two England full backs and Ashley Cole is one of the quickest players in the premiership, and Neville has unbelievable positional sense.

Unfortunately, Mayo does not have either. I cannot understand why he is in the team over Rents. Rents would only get the positional sense through playing games - something that Wilkins is unwilling to do. Mayo is slow, cannot defend, and a very poor player generally. Adding to the fact that today, and last season, we have done f*** all with our set pieces, apart from when Rents is playing, suggests that he should be in the team.

Do you honestly think Watson was in the team for his defending? No, it was because he did an adequate job defensively but could win a match with one set piece. I believe the same can be said of Rents.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
i think it does - wide men are generally the quickest players on the pitch. So in order to deal with them, a full back needs to have pace. You look at the two England full backs and Ashley Cole is one of the quickest players in the premiership, and Neville has unbelievable positional sense.

Unfortunately, Mayo does not have either. I cannot understand why he is in the team over Rents. Rents would only get the positional sense through playing games - something that Wilkins is unwilling to do. Mayo is slow, cannot defend, and a very poor player generally. Adding to the fact that today, and last season, we have done f*** all with our set pieces, apart from when Rents is playing, suggests that he should be in the team.

Do you honestly think Watson was in the team for his defending? No, it was because he did an adequate job defensively but could win a match with one set piece. I believe the same can be said of Rents.

Spot on but don't tell Yorkie, Mayo and her are related, best friends and he lodges at her gaff. Or at least talked to her once and now she defends him endlessly. In fact it's funny that the only people who do stick up for Kerry's performances are those that talk about him as if they are his mate.

No personal problem with him he's just not good enough. Tuck, Harding and at times Jones and El-Abd have been prefered to him. He had one exceptional spell under Coppell, and I will happily admit during that time he was quality. However he did mainly play as left of a back 3 or left wingback.

Phil Neville is a perfect example of a player who is not good enough but managers keep picking him [for England].

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

That still doesn't explain why ten different managers of the Albion have played Kerry Mayo. They must see something in him that you don't.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Anthony Gardner and Zat Knight are also examples of players not good enough for their division but still get picked by numerous managers for their respective clubs.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That still doesn't explain why ten different managers of the Albion have played Kerry Mayo. They must see something in him that you don't.

Because during those 10 managers, Dick knight has been in charge of the purse strings.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Because during those 10 managers, Dick knight has been in charge of the purse strings.

Give me strength!!!
You really think that Dick Knight threatens each and every manager and tells him who to pick for the team?

D

Deleted member 2719

I feel it's probably his professional attitude and commitment to the team that helped him make it with all those managers.

I think he can still do a job for us but it must be through the middle of the team.
Unless someone with a bit of pace can be close enough to strike when he does get left flatfooted.
I must admit it does leave us a bit vulnerable against pace on his side but i have every faith that Deano will make the right decisions on all positions when he has to.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Give me strength!!!
You really think that Dick Knight threatens each and every manager and tells him who to pick for the team?

By the way people aren't saying he hasn't always been up to it, rather that he hasn't been up to it since after Coppell. 2 managers then, one who preferred HArding.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Give me strength!!!

No,not at all. Just suggesting that Kerry Mayo at his best is "adequate". We have always had a more pressing need to fill other positions, and with the funds available, Mayo has fallen into the category of "he,ll do.....just".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here