Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridders coming home?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Leeds fans have taken to him. My best mate is a Leeds season ticket holder and they are now pretty confident of keeping him and appreciate what he does.

Agreed. I met some Leeds based colleagues at our Xmas party in London. They were all very impressed with Bridcutt and wanted to sign him.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Leeds fans have taken to him. My best mate is a Leeds season ticket holder and they are now pretty confident of keeping him and appreciate what he does.

Agreed. I met some Leeds based colleagues at our Xmas party in London. They were all very impressed with Bridcutt and wanted to sign him.

Roque Junior and Edgar Çani are two names that come to mind – there are likely many more. Loan players that have worn the white of Leeds United and have been, well, not very good to be honest.

The same cannot be said for Liam Bridcutt, who Leeds have had on loan from Premier League side Sunderland. Scotsman Bridcutt has slotted into the ‘6’ role with aplomb, the defensive midfielder sitting in front of the centre backs and soaking up opponent attacks.

The ‘6’ role, often unglamorous when compared to other midfield roles, is nonetheless an important one. There was no better proponent at it than Real Madrid’s Claude Makele; when he left the Santiago Bernabau, Real struggled – Thomas Graveson wasn’t the answer.

I’m not saying that Liam Bridcutt is Claude Makele, but his contribution whilst playing as a defensive midfielder in the ‘6’ role has been just as important to Leeds United with the on-loan Sunderland player both thwarting opponent attacks and distributing the ball accurately and at volume.

The following are just a flavour of what Liam Bridcutt has brought to Leeds United in his short spell at Elland Road. In five games played for the Whites, there is definite improvement and clear reasons why Leeds fans are wanting Bridcutt’s loan extending.

QPR: Tackles 2, Interceptions 2, Blocks 3, Pass Attempts 42, Pass Accuracy 64.3%
Hull City: Tackles 11, Interceptions 1, Blocks 1, Pass Attempts 41, Pass Accuracy 75.6%
Charlton: Tackles 0, Interceptions 3, Blocks 1, Pass Attempts 61, Pass Accuracy 73.8%
Wolves: Tackles 3, Interceptions 0, Blocks 0, Pass Attempts 43, Pass Accuracy 85.7%
Preston: Tackles 3, Interceptions 2, Blocks 2, Pass Attempts 68, Pass Accuracy 85.3%

Figures that stand out include the 11 tackles against Hull and the 68 pass attempts at a shade above 85% accuracy against Preston. However, these only tell the partial story of a player more than comfortable in a position that benefits the style of play that Steve Evans is instilling in Leeds United.

Steve Evans is an admirer of Bridcutt and said that he will be a ‘top player’ according to a Yorkshire Evening Post report after the on-loan Sunderland man’s debut at QPR. Evans is hopeful that Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce will allow Bridcutt to extend what has been a successful stay at Elland Road. On this matter, Evans says, “My understanding is that we have an agreement. I know where Liam would like to play his football but him and Sam Allardyce probably need to sit down and have a chat when his loan’s up.” A catch here might be the fact that the YEP say that Allardyce “recently admitted that he would prefer to sell Bridcutt than allow the 26-year-old to stay on loan at Leeds.”

With Leeds owner Massimo Cellino purportedly preparing a ‘war chest’ of funded signings for the New Year part of the Championship campaign, one player uppermost in his thoughts should be on-loan Liam Bridcutt.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd take Bridcutt back if the finances are right (and we're not going to play Ince more regularly). The game against Boro at the weekend was a perfect example of what he could bring to us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only if he repays the fans by playing for free.

I think he might be slightly in credit after two player of the season awards when weighed against a few weeks sulking?

Awaits a flaming but I can take it from the precious ones on here :lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rohan Ince looks lost recently. That's because 4-1-4-1 doesn't work (arguable). The reason it doesn't work is the position requires covering too much ground and any goodish team can pass around the player.

Slip back into a 4-2-3-1 when defending a lead, which means we really want a left -sided defensive midfielder and Crofts or Ince can play on the right.

I prefer Arsenals 4-3-3 to Man City 4-4-2, with just the one winger in 4-3-3 and an overlapping full back on the other side. I'd sooner have Buckley back. Stockdale should be able to find with clearances as he can trap a long ball. Bash it into the far corner and Buckley can chase it as well. Second striker can run wide as well.

So a left-side wing-back would be preferable. One that can defend and play left back at a pinch (Forster-Caskey is naff at defending and althougther too lightweight).

The advantage of Bridders is he is younger than Crofts. But as Steve Evans says, there are likely to other players as good around.

We need to sign players that can hack it in the PL. I have my doubts about Baldock and Jamie Murphy ???

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need to sign players that can hack it in the PL. I have my doubts about Baldock and Jamie Murphy ???

I disagree totally as I would rather not spend the money in the hope that we get promoted but spend money on loans to get us into the Premier. Once there we can then spend the money on better players to keep us there. Spending it now could result in having numerous better players but missing out on promotion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think he might be slightly in credit after two player of the season awards when weighed against a few weeks sulking?

Awaits a flaming but I can take it from the precious ones on here :lolol:

You'd think wouldn't you. If he's got his transfer when promised he would still be treated like a hero, a la Bobby - well not exactly like Bobby, but you get the point. Perhaps more like Ulloa. Either way there's three players who wanted, and got, a move to the prem, but because Briductt's was drawn out [perhaps because of TB-Poyet animosity?] he's the one who gets it in the neck. Liam's still one of my favourite players.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I disagree totally as I would rather not spend the money in the hope that we get promoted but spend money on loans to get us into the Premier. Once there we can then spend the money on better players to keep us there. Spending it now could result in having numerous better players but missing out on promotion.

Worked well last season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bridcutt and Buckley. Buckley and Bridcutt.

Anyone would think that no other players were available. They were Gus's players. Gus has gone. Bridcutt and Buckley have gone. Their time with us is over. Thank you and goodbye.

What is it about some people that they can't accept that?

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Bridcutt and Buckley. Buckley and Bridcutt.

Anyone would think that no other players were available. They were Gus's players. Gus has gone. Bridcutt and Buckley have gone. Their time with us is over. Thank you and goodbye.

What is it about some people that they can't accept that?

You know what some Albion fans are like. Always hoping for that glitter of hope that old players return. Seen it time and time again aswell as being linked to former players too.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

They are thought of as he same players. Ones that are good enough to hack in the PL are the same ones that will get us promoted. We are going tohave to replace our ageing players anyway.

Bridcutt and Buckley are the right age group. So are Murphy and Baldock. Whether all four are good enough is debatable ???

About two years since Bridders played well in his last game for the Albion: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25375966

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here