Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt "not focused enough"

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
If I were Oscar, I would pick Bridcutt for tomorrow's game and, if he says that he is not focussed, tell him to play.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The brain doesn't work like that though does it. Our vocabulary is ordered in tiers. I see the brain like a library - you keep the stuff you need ready to hand on the ground floor. When you need more complex words, you pop upstairs to the second floor and get the word you need off the shelf. When you grab a word, it's a ground floor word. Unsavory would be on Keith's second floor. His brain wouldn't bother to rush up the stairs if he had a freeze - it would pick an easy word from near the entrance.

The brain works in complex ways, not simple library-like ways. Sometimes you pick the wrong word and don't realise, sometimes you realise later, sometimes you realise as you're saying it and correct yourself, sometimes you just keep going hoping that whoever you're talking to understands, sometimes you just don't know the right definition of the word and haven't been corrected. Language is complex and varied and carries different strength in different places.

Sometimes people use words they don't know the meaning of because they think it makes them sound smarter. Sometimes people are dancing a verbal dance while speaking publicly, speaking under intense attention, speaking to people in adversarial conditions, while trying to not give too much away.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but that it is a not entirely unrealistic possibility. That people miss-speak. There are website dedicated to the more humorous word fumbles of sports personalities and other famous people the world over.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The brain works in complex ways, not simple library-like ways. Sometimes you pick the wrong word and don't realise, sometimes you realise later, sometimes you realise as you're saying it and correct yourself, sometimes you just keep going hoping that whoever you're talking to understands, sometimes you just don't know the right definition of the word and haven't been corrected. Language is complex and varied and carries different strength in different places.

Sometimes people use words they don't know the meaning of because they think it makes them sound smarter. Sometimes people are dancing a verbal dance while speaking publicly, speaking under intense attention, speaking to people in adversarial conditions, while trying to not give too much away.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but that it is a not entirely unrealistic possibility. That people miss-speak. There are website dedicated to the more humorous word fumbles of sports personalities and other famous people the world over.

I like that.

Yes, I see exactly where you are coming from, but I don't think that word was mistakenly chosen. I think it was deliberately selected. I see it as a word that he would have used with care.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If I were Oscar, I would pick Bridcutt for tomorrow's game and, if he says that he is not focussed, tell him to play.

I would only play the players who are fighting to get in the squad and if I were Oscar I wouldn't be spending any time trying to fit him in our game play or teach him anything.

Spending time working with March, Ince, JFC, Chickson, Obika and the rest of the squad is time well spent, not Bridcutt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The fact that Keith has done a bit of punditry on Sky would suggest to me he's quite media-savvy and not one to get overly tongue-tied in front of reporters, or start saying the wrong words. He has those dreamy eyes as well, which could also be a factor in his Sky work. But I honestly don't think it was a temporary brain misfunction that resulted in the 'unsavoury' quote. He knows what he's saying.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread already, but on 6th December Liam said:

"I am a Brighton player and as long as I am contracted to Brighton I will give 110 per cent."

By mid-January, he said he wasn't "focussed to play".Hmmm ???

Hope we're not paying his wages. If I said to my boss I'm not coming into work because I don't feel focused then he'd say don't expect to be paid.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll assume it will be the club's decision to not cup tie him..after that it's one more match.. I'll personally wait and see how things pan out and the reasons why

Well if he's still here but not in the squad for Burnley, then they could come out with some BS about a tight calf or something, but I think we'd all know the real reason.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My take:

Too much being read into one word used by Andrews. It could refer to almost anything relating to the dealings with GP! The same about in depth analysis of what OG said and seemingly forgetting that English is not his first language. By saying 'they', he could well mean the relevant people at both BHA and Sunderland.

As for the wages, like everyone, he will be paid his wages up until the time he actually leaves. Even if the club had accepted his request, that doesn't mean he will leave. There are plenty of players who have carried on playing whilst having submitted a transfer request. In some cases they leave and in others they withdraw the request. Does anyone honestly think in the real world the club would be able to stop paying them? All it means is that you forfeit loyalty payments and/or bonuses.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Regardless of the reasons for the fallout between Gus and the club, I feel sorry for Oscar because it has got nothing to do with him.

He is stuck in the middle of a battle where one of his players was advised by influential forces to hand in a transfer request.

Negotiations, targeting and bids should never have been in the public domain and it should have been only spoken about when the deal was done.

I find this all too disrespectful and without any regard for Oscar as a coach and a person. Why should he even have to answer any questions about Bridcutt when he has more important work on his hands.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One for cup tied
One for not focused

This cup tied bit is interesting... Have times changed..considering the lack of importance some premiership teams place on the cup these days...I can understand it if the club is in the latter.stages of a cup competition.... But i don't see a player being cup tied at round four..maybe I'm wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here