Bridcutt "not focused enough"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or if not UNFORTUNATE, then "disappointed", which seems to be the default word in football-speak.

"He's gone in for the ball there, the players foot was high and as they've come together its torn out part of his lower intestine, so of course the lad is disappointed with that".

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And perhaps he meant that, but in the process of the interview had a momentary brain freeze and used the wrong word. It happens. Lots of people, even those who know lots of words, will sometimes misuse them, will struggle to find the word they want and pick one that is similar. Especially in the process of a fast moving interview.

I don't think so. If he had a momentary brain freeze he wouldn't use a word so charged. He'd opt for a more non-descript option.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Surely, if a player leaves, he effectively terminates his contract, therefore payments under remainder of contract forfeited?

Correct. The article was relating to payments owed to the player that had not yet been paid.

ie if the player is paid monthly and he moves in the 3rd week of the month, he will be paid his 3 weeks owed wages.

If he'd moved after a transfer request then he (as I understand it) has foreited his right for those 3 weeks of wages although this is often negotiated and eventually paid out in some form.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think so. If he had a momentary brain freeze he wouldn't use a word so charged. He'd opt for a more non-descript option.

If he'd had a momentary brain freeze he might not have realised the word he used was the wrong one. That's the point. Like being grateful for the three points a win in the cup gave you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Or if not UNFORTUNATE, then "disappointed", which seems to be the default word in football-speak.

"He's gone in for the ball there, the players foot was high and as they've come together its torn out part of his lower intestine, so of course the lad is disappointed with that".

or difficult or complicated.

His words were "a little bit unsavory" if it makes a difference.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It does seem a strange situation especially when you watch Oscar's post match interview last Saturday on Player where he definitely says 'It's up to them to sort it out' rather than 'we' or 'the club'

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If he'd had a momentary brain freeze he might not have realised the word he used was the wrong one. That's the point.

The brain doesn't work like that though does it. Our vocabulary is ordered in tiers. I see the brain like a library - you keep the stuff you need ready to hand on the ground floor. When you need more complex words, you pop upstairs to the second floor and get the word you need off the shelf. When you grab a word, it's a ground floor word. Unsavory would be on Keith's second floor. His brain wouldn't bother to rush up the stairs if he had a freeze - it would pick an easy word from near the entrance.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Correct. The article was relating to payments owed to the player that had not yet been paid.

ie if the player is paid monthly and he moves in the 3rd week of the month, he will be paid his 3 weeks owed wages.

If he'd moved after a transfer request then he (as I understand it) has foreited his right for those 3 weeks of wages although this is often negotiated and eventually paid out in some form.

Thank you. Sorry to repeat, but does the fact we rejected Liam's request, negate the impact of the request he made?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I was suggesting that Liam should get a sense of perspective and grow up.

His mind is healthy. His body is healthy. His wage-packet is healthy. Yet he won’t play. A lot of people would happily swap places with him.

Of course they would but do you think OG would select them to play? - If OG didn't put them in the squad would you then claim they had refused to play? - To do so would be just as ridiculous as claiming that LB has refused to play - he hasn't, OG did not select him!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone considered that Andrews' use of the word 'unsavoury' was just the first word that came to his mind to quickly get across the point that in an ideal world events would have unfolded differently (either appropriate bid received sooner, and Bridcutt gone, or Bridcutt being more professional and buckling down to play while the dealing goes on behind scenes without the swirl of rumour and supposition playing out on social media and in the local press) and that everyone is reading far too much into it?

Unsavoury is an excellent word to describe the Poyet effect since the play off semi imo. I know others may not agree but I think it's a perfect word. I have no idea if Andrews plucked it from the air or mulled it over before uttering it, obviously, but it's not really an everyday word is it?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Thank you. Sorry to repeat, but does the fact we rejected Liam's request, negate the impact of the request he made?

You can refuse to accept a transfer request (I don't think we have) I'm not sure it would change anything (apart from maybe any loyalty bonus)

Wes Hoolahan's was rejected by Norwich the other day

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can refuse to accept a transfer request (I don't think we have) I'm not sure it would change anything (apart from maybe any loyalty bonus)

Wes Hoolahan's was rejected by Norwich the other day

TB has very definitely rejected Bridcutt's transfer request as far as I was aware.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can only speculate that perhaps Bridcutt feels that the club have put too high a valuation on him, and are therefore currently pricing him out of his dream move.

I HATE to do this on NSC as 99% of "SAUCES" are false but, yes, that's what my SAUCE told me also.

In fact, that was in the summer just gone.

Now I feel DIRTY.

If this is the case, Liam will be unhappy with the club, which would also explain why Oscar distanced himself in that post match interview by saying 'They have to sort it out'

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
It could be argued that Andrews is alluding to the bad smell that lingers at the Amex in the wake of Gus Poyet’s departure.

Andrews did not play for Albion under Oscar’s predecessor, but, reading between the lines, he seems to be exasperated by Poyet’s being a continuing disruptive influence on the club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It could be argued that Andrews is alluding to the bad smell that lingers at the Amex in the wake of Gus Poyet’s departure.

Andrews did not play for Albion under Oscar’s predecessor, but, reading between the lines, he seems to be exasperated by Poyet’s being a continuing disruptive influence on the club.

That would be poor management if it was still lingering 8 months later. Any leader worth his salt should be able to revive morale.
I'm more inclined to believe it is resentment from Liam that he is being overpriced.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread already, but on 6th December Liam said:

"I am a Brighton player and as long as I am contracted to Brighton I will give 110 per cent."

By mid-January, he said he wasn't "focussed to play".

Hmmm ???

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I can only speculate that perhaps Bridcutt feels that the club have put too high a valuation on him, and are therefore currently pricing him out of his dream move.

I HATE to do this on NSC as 99% of "SAUCES" are false but, yes, that's what my SAUCE told me also.

In fact, that was in the summer just gone.

Now I feel DIRTY.

Ah - so I'm guessing that Liam simultaneously offered to pay back some of his wages (as the club have been valuing him too highly)?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Is it correct that Liam's & Poyet's agent are one and the same?
If true, there could be 'unsavoury' aspects to the transfer deal

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is it correct that Liam's & Poyet's agent are one and the same?
If true, there could be 'unsavoury' aspects to the transfer deal

I believed this to be true but some on here has said he has got a new one. If this is true I suspect his old agent would have hired a new cover agent to distance himself while still being in control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports