Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some people are really sensitive.

Earlier in this thread people were saying 'sell him', giving the different amounts they'd accept. Where was the loyalty to him then? Now people are affronted because he's shown he's as willing to leave here as most people on this thread were to let him go?

It's football. Players move on. Sometimes impasses are reached and the only way forward without disrupting the club is a transfer request. It's no reason to lose respect for or turn on anyone.

People still hate Gus and cannot believe that a player would choose to play for him. I wish them both well and look forward to what Oscar can do with the money and players we have.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Bennett did exactly the same thing. He handed in a transfer request although he was persuaded to stay to help us get promoted.

Can't see Bridcutt doing the same unfortunately, this is the frustrating thing about it. Bennett understood how important it was to see the job through.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All very true, what irritates me isn't even a loyalty thing though really I just hate it when players, who earn silly money, hand in transfer requests to try and force the people who pay them to sell, especially in this case as it does nothing to help the club get a bigger fee, just means Sunderland will now think we will have no choice to sooner or later sell him at a cut price. Classless from both Poyet & Bridders.

Were Norwich and Bennett classless too? It's football and it happens in every transfer window.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Some people are really sensitive.

Earlier in this thread people were saying 'sell him', giving the different amounts they'd accept. Where was the loyalty to him then? Now people are affronted because he's shown he's as willing to leave here as most people on this thread were to let him go?

It's football. Players move on. Sometimes impasses are reached and the only way forward without disrupting the club is a transfer request. It's no reason to lose respect for or turn on anyone.

This entirely. Telling him to f*ck off or calling him a Judas is just ridiculous.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If i was Liam i would have done the same. We have already denied him Premiership football with Palace at the start of the season which is understandable and now this. just need a good fee for him now.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Bridcutt is under contract and has a value to the club. If that figure is met he goes if it's not he don't. Not sure what his request does really other than taint a great Albion career.

It means when we sell him we do not have to pay up the remainder of his contract, this will also affect the fee as this amount could be the difference of the deal going through or not.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Anyone calling him a 'judas' on this, or the other thread are pretty stupid in my eyes.

As Bozza said, it appears the club told him he was going nowhere, and thus the only way he was going to leave was a transfer request.

He'll earn more money in what is a fairly short career, play for a manager who gave him his second chance and who undoubtedly gets the best out of him, and gets a chance to test himself in the premiership for however long Sunderland are there.

They are more likely to be in the Premiership than us next season, and even if they do come down, the sheer size of their club would indicate they'll be right up there next season.

Good luck to him!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Quite amusing the amount of people who wouldn't believe he wanted to leave.

He asked in the summer also.

Cheers Liam. Just a shame a great player will be remembered in respect to a transfer request.

Time to play hard ball on the fee now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Elliott Bennett handed in a transfer request in January and we didn't sell until the Summer.

If Sunderland don't put up enough cash, don't bet against a repeat of that.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Elliott Bennett handed in a transfer request in January and we didn't sell until the Summer.

I only see this as a good thing... by handing in this request we don't have to pay his loyalty fee and yet he is still a player under a contract with us and the club has the final say on whether to sell or not.

Regardless.. he is one of the best I've seen at the Albion and whatever he does I will wish him nothing but the best:bhasign:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If he has handed in a request and we can get anywhere near £4million for him then i say let him go... Last season I would have been more bothered by him being sold as there was noticeable difference in quality of play from the whole team when he wasn't on the pitch. When he was rested/injured/suspended last season the remaining players on the pitch just lost all their shape and forgot how to play. This season we seem to be just a solid without him. Ince and Andrews can do the same job as LB, and the £3-4million can be invested in new players.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Exactly.

Sunderland offer £2.5m for a player who wants to leave - we say no.

Player hands in transfer request so we sell for £2.5m?

Why would we?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Sad but not unexpected. Some people on here really are in need of a reality check though. Sunderland are a massive club, potential relegation fodder or not. Not too many professionals get the chance to play for clubs of that size. If Liam genuinely felt this was the only way to get things moving then I don't blame him. It's obvious from his performances and his behaviour that he has total respect for the club and fans, but feels he is now at an impasse and at risk of missing out on what could be the opportunity of a lifetime for him. As long as we play hard and get what we deserve as a fee, which as Bozza says may include keeping him until the Summer, then fair play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here