Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Elliott Bennett handed in a transfer request in January and we didn't sell until the Summer.

If Sunderland don't put up enough cash, don't bet against a repeat of that.

The club should send out a circular or announcement similar to what estate agents do asking for matching or better offers before exchange of contracts :thumbsup:

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Elliott Bennett handed in a transfer request in January and we didn't sell until the Summer.

If Sunderland don't put up enough cash, don't bet against a repeat of that.

I am sure if this were the case It will be interesting to see if Liam is professional enough to play with the same intensity for us as he has in the past and if not I guess Oscar sticks him in the development squad

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Presumably he has a move to a premiership team offering him lots of money. Who can begrudge him wanting that? You never know what the future holds, for him if he moves the worst case is he is playing in the championship next season on more money.

If he stays this opportunity may never arise again, take them when they come.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Who cares at the end of the day really. He was great in Poyets set up sitting in front of the back four but has been found out going forward a lot quicker. He's been brilliant for us and good luck to him.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
A few problems with the 'keep him till the summer' if they don't meet the price we want, he'll only have a year left on his contract at this point and I highly doubt we'd get even £2.5m for him then, also comparable to the Bennett situation, yes it's similar but they are very different players and if Bridcutts heart isn't in it we may as well not play him anyway given the position he plays in relies a lot on how much he 'wants' it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Fair enough. Cheers - didn't realise this was the case.

No worries, this is why players only hand is transfer requests as a last resort, imagine a Prem player on £3 mill a year with 2 years left on his deal. He hands in a request when another club comes in it would lose him £6 million to force the move.

This would help reduce the transfer fee and could force the move but at big cost to the player.

.........unless his new club would rather pay him a big signing on fee rather than give it to the other club in a transfer fee

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Onwards and upwards.... Time to get rid and move on.

I for one will give Liam a good reception when he returns to the Amex next season with Sunderland in The Championship.

Without question he deserves his chance in the Premier League, just a shame it will literally be for 3-4 months.

Nothing would now give me more pleasure than seeing us going up and Poyet and co coming down in the other direction

Top post

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Everton? Let's keep a grip on reality. Bridcutt's a good player, but I couldn't see him getting many games in competition with Barry, Osman, Barkley, McCarthy or even Gibson when fit.

I was thinking of him taking Barry's place when he returns to Man City. Everton are good this season largely due to Barkley, Barry & Lukaku; Man City & Chelsea won't make the same mistake loaning such quality to transform a team. Liam is not comparable to Barkley or Osman IMHO.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I know his agent is not playing him off against other clubs.

The only reason why we are aware of the leaks is because Gus has leaked them. We have had "Gus after Bridcutt", "Gus wants Buckley and Bridcutt for £3m", "An offer of £2m", "Closing in on a deal for £2.5m", "Hope to sign him before the Man U game", Hope to get him by Wednesday" headlines for the past couple of weeks.

I like the way Cardiff signed Noone which was handled confidentially, respectfully and without fuss.
His agent will want to get him the best deal as he'll get a percentage

Gus won't be involved in negotiations there's people who do that and Sunderland will have their own agent(s)

Why would gus want to leak a transfer target and give any rivals a chance to gazump them, I don't recall that happening when he was here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His agent will want to get him the best deal as he'll get a percentage

Gus won't be involved in negotiations there's people who do that and Sunderland will have their own agent(s)

Why would gus want to leak a transfer target and give any rivals a chance to gazump them, I don't recall that happening when he was here.

As you've said De Fanti & Burke will be doing the negotiations, with their chairmen, but that doesn't suit posters on here who want to hate Gus a bit more.

Aug 23, 2011
As you've said De Fanti & Burke will be doing the negotiations, with their chairmen, but that doesn't suit posters on here who want to hate Gus a bit more.

If you think about it logically Albion (selling club) have more to gain from the story being leaked as more buyers know about the availability and then a bidding war. All buying clubs want transfers to be a secret else you may as well not bother scouting and just wait for your competitors to bid on a player and then outbid them

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you think about it logically Albion (selling club) have more to gain from the story being leaked as more buyers know about the availability and then a bidding war. All buying clubs want transfers to be a secret else you may as well not bother scouting and just wait for your competitors to bid on a player and then outbid them

Common sense at last.

Aug 23, 2011
I see what you are saying, but because Gus's agent is also Bridcutt's, he would have been put between a rock and a hard place.

As far as I know he seems happy here, but he may have said to his agent when he was asked about joining Sunderland, that he doesn't mind moving. I would imagine that Bridcutt is under a lot of pressure from the people that want to control his career.

Do you think that staying here would make him miserable or do you think there is a chance he may go phew tfft?

I think if he was unhappy with his agent he could easily find another agent to represent him

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
People still hate Gus and cannot believe that a player would choose to play for him. I wish them both well and look forward to what Oscar can do with the money and players we have.

Anyone calling him a 'judas' on this, or the other thread are pretty stupid in my eyes.

As Bozza said, it appears the club told him he was going nowhere, and thus the only way he was going to leave was a transfer request.

He'll earn more money in what is a fairly short career, play for a manager who gave him his second chance and who undoubtedly gets the best out of him, and gets a chance to test himself in the premiership for however long Sunderland are there.

They are more likely to be in the Premiership than us next season, and even if they do come down, the sheer size of their club would indicate they'll be right up there next season.

Good luck to him!

I agree with these. Not much to add to what I've said on other threads - summed up in short as... a move to Sunderland for Bridcutt now makes perfect sense and I think it will be a good one for him as I can see Gus keeping them up anyway.

Wherever Liam Bridcutt ends up, he's been absolute class for us and I wish him all the very best for the future.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose 1m
Bridcutt has asked to leave Brighton with Sunderland having been engaged in advanced talks for both he & Will Buckley for several days

It looks like Buckley is still in the reckoning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here