Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brianna Ghey murder.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ha! I was around back in those times but that is out of my comfort zone musically!
"musically" you say? ??? :wink:

Music aside.....I remember hearing that in the early 80s and thinking about preconceptions, prejudices, and freedom. A powerful piece.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I wouldn’t, not at all.

There has always been violence, but there never used to be means of hearing about it much beyond your own circle. I simply think we are exposed to a lot more knowledge of it because of the number of ways we get news these days, you read about it online, see it on tv etc.

We simply hear about it much, much more.
Statistically, over the past 20 years, the number of incidents of violent crime have tripled, but the number of those that are ‘random’ I suspect are still relatively small.

Happy to be corrected though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I understand and accept your point about random attacks.
Will you accept that there is more terminal violence in society than there used to be?

I've lived in London (including some rough areas) for 25 years. Most of that in South London.

I've never been physically attacked, never been mugged.

Never been burgled either.

My only immediate danger is usually cyclists and the dog that went for me outside Marks and Spencer tonight.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"musically" you say? ??? :wink:

Music aside.....I remember hearing that in the early 80s and thinking about preconceptions, prejudices, and freedom. A powerful piece.
Not the place for it to become political, as someone said before on this thread, but 'preconceptions, prejudices, and freedom' form an interesting trio of adjectives which can simply conflict with one-another or offer antithesis. Well that is what I thought anyway...

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If people aren't to believe the scare stories in the Argus or other media then where are they to find the truth about Brighton and it's reported crime?

Here actually.

I meant to add but forgot.
I'm not taking a dig at Brighton.
Just recently, in this last 3 weeks, here in slow moving little old Newmarket, we've had a murder, a cashpoint ripped out of a wall and a petrol station held up at knife and gunpoint.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Some people are just evil, where & when it starts I don't know but had someone at my (Northwich Cheshire) Secondary who you just knew was going to badly hurt someone, he just had that look in his eye and I don't give a shit attitude.

He was violent at school but never chucked out. Funnily enough he never bullied me and we sometimes shared illegal cigarettes together. Sounded like his home life was pretty grim compared to my nice middle class existence.

It didn't amaze me a few years later when the local paper reported him killing someone. Just to make sure of the job he reversed his car over him...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I went back to Brighton, Hastings, and other places that I used to frequent, for a holiday last year after not going back for over 13 years.
To be honest I found little had changed in that respect, I felt as comfortable getting around as I always had.
Things and people had got older, but other than that, no difference.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The UK is not safe these days?
Nowhere is safe, anything can happen, anywhere, at any time. Don't have nightmares, but the murder rate in Malta is worse than the UK. If you don't have the teenage gangs stabbing each other up over there, as we do and drives the numbers up here, it probably means you personally are even more likely to be a murder victim in Malta than in the UK than just the basic rate would suggest.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I went back to Brighton, Hastings, and other places that I used to frequent, for a holiday last year after not going back for over 13 years.
To be honest I found little had changed in that respect, I felt as comfortable getting around as I always had.
Things and people had got older, but other than that, no difference.
It's the same when folk say they wish Brighton was like it used to be decades back. I don't remember it being any more an enjoyable place to live than it is now.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Those by and large are not random events. A huge proportion are gang-related or resulting from some previous interaction between the people involved.

My point was that if you’re not in a gang, or caught up in some other criminal activity, the chances of you being attacked in the UK are broadly very small indeed.

That's what I say and many others about violence in Chicago but do you think anyone in other places pays attention to me or the many others. No way.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
These attacks happened and were undertaken by teenagers in the 70s, 80s, & 90s
probably reported more now due to social and national media, better policing.

and simply methods of communication, cell phones, make it easier to report & notify the public of crimes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nowhere is safe, anything can happen, anywhere, at any time. Don't have nightmares, but the murder rate in Malta is worse than the UK. If you don't have the teenage gangs stabbing each other up over there, as we do and drives the numbers up here, it probably means you personally are even more likely to be a murder victim in Malta than in the UK than just the basic rate would suggest.
Really?

Homicide rate in Europe 2021, by country​

Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 21, 2023
In Europe, the Baltic countries of Latvia and Lithuania had the highest homicide rates in 2021. Of these, Latvia had the highest rate, reaching almost 5.2 intentional homicides per 100,000 inhabitants. Meanwhile, the lowest homicide rate was found in Malta, amounting to only 0.39 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Really?

Homicide rate in Europe 2021, by country​

Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 21, 2023
In Europe, the Baltic countries of Latvia and Lithuania had the highest homicide rates in 2021. Of these, Latvia had the highest rate, reaching almost 5.2 intentional homicides per 100,000 inhabitants. Meanwhile, the lowest homicide rate was found in Malta, amounting to only 0.39 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants.
But equally:

which shows the South East of England to be the 3rd lowest murder rate in Europe. :shrug:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Personally I feel some people are sadly just born evil. These two by all accounts had fairly normal upbringings, and whilst there could never be an excuse for something so awful, you can't even fathom how they came to do it at all.
Nature is stronger than nurture in some for sure. I know folk that have endured terrible abuse through their formative years that have gone onto be incredibly strong, doing great things for their community and globally. Others with all the love and care that then turn to self destruction.

There are elements within people that cannot be modified or directed. Sometimes these are positive, sometimes negative. Somes tragically and horrifically so, as with this case.

Imagine being parents of children that go on to commit such deeds. Awful. That girl killing the babys in hospital for example, no wonder they cannot accept that she's guilty.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I don´t live in the UK but from reading and watching the news, I wasn´t sure how safe even Brighton was any more.
I went to the Marseille game at the Amex and stayed in a hotel in Western road. I left nearly all my valuables in my room and took my phone and one debit card and my ID card from Malta just in case. I kept my phone in an inside pocket too.
Nothing happened ! But I would be very worried walking around town very late at night.
In fairness that’s the worst anecdote I’ve heard this year.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
and simply methods of communication, cell phones, make it easier to report & notify the public of crimes.
Quite right, back then I got attacked by skinheads with a baseball bat and a metal pole, stiches to the head, etc police did not turn up, and I could not be bothered. Folks did not trust the police especially if you were in a youth gang or tribe, the police were very authoritarian back then, and worse still if your skin colour was not pasty white.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As @WATFORD zero said....no.

The only purpose this would serve would be to satisfy the public's morbid curiosity, and allow the creation of narratives that somehow blame the parents (who would now also be named by proxy) and provide a bit more granularity to the making of whatever has succeeded Dinenage's "Lets get into the mind of these evil killers" series.
I don't usually reply to my own posts. On radio 5 now a journalist is making the case for naming the killers

"In this country we have open justice"
"Normally such (young) killers should not be named but this is such an exceptional case"

He was asked what value will be provided (to society) by naming them.

He rather pompously repeated himself, as if that was justification in itself.

A caller now is proposing they be named and given a whole life sentence.

Why should they be named, he is asked

"It would make it more tangible". He then added something about if they were released (on a whole life sentence?) the public would know who they are and if they offended again (I stopped listening at that point. Utter illogical old tosh).

I remain convinced that the naming of them is driven by curiosity and prurience. Separately it will preclude any rehabilitation without very expensive identity changes. The latter had to be done with the Bulger killers, with mixed results (one of the boys has never reoffended, the other has). In neither case has their naming done anything other than give to the public a name and face to hate.

I will hold my hand up and admit I'd quite like to see who these little shits are, and satisfy my morbid curiosity. But I don't think the downsides would justify this. I see no other reason to have them named other than for me to gawp at their photos and speculate about their families. And I would, of course, be interested in doing that. But it is not my right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here