Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Lenihan - Cork City

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Exactly. People are deluded to think otherwise

I agree and obviously that's what made Ward's mind up, for example. The only question with a young player is development. Sometimes at 20, you're better off taking slightly less money so you develop quicker and can earn more in the future. Not saying it will be relevant here, just that sometimes it's not just about short term gain (also long term).

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
This may be the first test in real terms of the training ground. As FS alludes to above, sometimes it's about more than money. If the facilities here really are world class, then I believe it will put us in the driving seat.

There's also no guarantee of Premier league football next season at any of his 3 potential suitors.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If he is in the sunshine in Brighton today, goes to the training ground this morning, has a nice lunch on the seafront, goes to the match this afternoon, spends the evening in town and then chooses Burnley, he is obviously a moron and would therefor be unable to understand Sami's instructions.

I like that, indeed it must be the case. Unless of course he is an avid lover of 'dark Satanic mills' ?

TNBA

TTF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder how much influence his agent will have on his decision. Obviously money is the key, but Graham Barrett played for us, so there is a link.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Got a sneaky feeling that Palace may be after him with the enticement of a mobile home and the promise of first team action next season *

* in The Championship

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I cannot believe that any player, ever, has signed for Brighton ahead of another club on the grounds that this is a nicer place. Footballers choose moves based on money, league status and how often they're likely to play in the first team. Not saying we don't have a chance, but the architecture/demographics/seaside views don't do it.
Never thought that someone would also be moving with their family and children? Don't ever think a doting father would want to bring his kids up in the nicest and safest place possible?

(Probably not the case with Brian, but all the same, it DOES make a difference).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd imagine a factor would be the possibility of playing time and career progression. He could get more money at either Hull or Burnley but could possibly leave after two or three years without getting a sniff of the first team and the premiership. If that transpires he'll be looking for a new club as an unplayed reserve that no-one remembers.

IF and it's a big IF, Lenihan is indeed seen by the Albion as a key part of the team who can make an early contribution then this could be the one thing that could trump the premier league cash. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I would be really surprised if he joins Burnley or Hull instead of Brighton because of money.

This is a young Irishman who has never kicked a ball at this level, never mind the premiership. Do you really think any of the clubs involved are going to throw massive amounts of cash at him? Hull and Burnley may be willing to pay a couple of grand a week for him to be in the reserves, dont you think Brighton can match or even better that if we do see him as a fringe first team player?

Location and the chance to progress in his career will probably be a higher factor in this case than 3 very similar pay packets.

Yes we can't compete for players at the top end, but with all due respect to Brian Lenihan, he's still got a long way to go.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Currently my "Will he come?" meter is 40%.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Never thought that someone would also be moving with their family and children? Don't ever think a doting father would want to bring his kids up in the nicest and safest place possible?

(Probably not the case with Brian, but all the same, it DOES make a difference).

Well perhaps but I'm still not convinced. Every area (even economically depressed places like Burnley or Hull) have their stockbroker-belt enclaves where wealthier residents congregate in executive new-builds that have private nurseries and schools. It's places like these that footballers tend to gravitate to when they move and so they are pretty much insulated from the city the club belongs to.

Added to which, footballers tend to focus on their playing career first and foremost (probably rightly since it's short-term and precarious). So decisions about where to bring up the kids tend to take a back-seat. Indeed, for most footballers with kids, they likelihood is that they'll live in four or five different places over the course of dad's career. Sometimes the footballer has no choice but to move.

So if the desire to put down roots was as strong as you suggest, we'd see lots more one-club players. A thing which hardly ever happens any more. Sadly, it's all about money and opportunity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well perhaps but I'm still not convinced. Every area (even economically depressed places like Burnley or Hull) have their stockbroker-belt enclaves where wealthier residents congregate in executive new-builds that have private nurseries and schools. It's places like these that footballers tend to gravitate to when they move and so they are pretty much insulated from the city the club belongs to.

Added to which, footballers tend to focus on their playing career first and foremost (probably rightly since it's short-term and precarious). So decisions about where to bring up the kids tend to take a back-seat. Indeed, for most footballers with kids, they likelihood is that they'll live in four or five different places over the course of dad's career. Sometimes the footballer has no choice but to move.

So if the desire to put down roots was as strong as you suggest, we'd see lots more one-club players. A thing which hardly ever happens any more. Sadly, it's all about money and opportunity.

Good post, although the Midlands, and the more southerly Northern clubs have an advantage in that, players can change clubs and not have to move house.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I doubt there will be much difference in wages between any of the clubs mentioned. We are talking about a lad from Cork, not a youngster from Madrids or Barcelona academy. Put it this way I doubt any contract will set him up for life If I were the player it will be down to career progression. What the player doesn't want is to return to Cork having got nowhere.

That's why I wouldn't go to Hull. Burnley I can see, they have developed a number of players and maybe are seeing past Trippier who will be sold sooner rather than later. I think we stand as good a chance as any. Why not?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 1m
#bhafc target Brian Lenihan: "Sunday I think, going to be heading over to meet with Brighton, I’m not really sure how it will go."

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
That tweet sounded like he was answering a question. What was the question anyone know?

Was it when do you expect to be moving? In which case not knowing what to expect could just be that he doesn't know if he will have talks and medical on the same day.

Or was it when are you talking to Burnley/Hull? Again not sure how long things will take at Brighton.

I'm only guessing because I can't see what he's responding to, can anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here