Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
By the way, just for the record, I definitely DO NOT think people are myopic, insular and selfish...I was just quoting The Rivet. It was his/her assertion that people who plumped for a Remain vote on personal financial grounds deserved to be so-called.

And I don't think you need to jump to the conclusion that the Remain camp don't think we can survive outside the EU, or that we're a shit country. The point is that most economists believe we will be economically worse off outside the EU. We WILL survive, but (according to those economists) we won't be so prosperous. Personally, I'd rather be more prosperous, more open, more outward looking, have more employment opportunities, be able to move freely within Europe. You obviously think differently. That's the joy of this debate!

Indeed it is. But selfishness by definition is myopic and insular. Just to be fair.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Just as i thought no change on here with the inners leading yet another poll, no doubt the inners will piss the referendum as well as i have come to the conclusion that Britain is full of brain dead idiot's who lack the simple understanding of what a child is capable of grasping.
hoodwinked by the very people who are tucking them up.. Goldman Sachs and the likes..so called credible people:eek:, oh well you reap what you sow you daft t*ats:shootself. ,,,a communist hell hole awaits.
just a shame that my family will have to suffer for your shameful ill thought out decision..

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just as i thought no change on here with the inners leading yet another poll, no doubt the inners will piss the referendum as well as i have come to the conclusion that Britain is full of brain dead idiot's who lack the simple understanding of what a child is capable of grasping.
hoodwinked by the very people who are tucking them up.. Goldman Sachs and the likes..so called credible people:eek:, oh well you reap what you sow you daft t*ats:shootself. ,,,a communist hell hole awaits.
just a shame that my family will have to suffer for your shameful ill thought out decision..

Another "its my way or the highway" , there so stupid that they "don't get it". It might just be you dont get it

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
The Economists for Brexit is a group of eight independent, leading economists who are convinced of the strong economic case for leaving the EU. To date, debate on the economic merits of whether the UK should remain in the EU has become overwhelmed by the Government's Project Fear campaign. Each of the eight economists have become exasperated by the scaremongering and often economic illiteracy of this campaign.

http://www.economistsforbrexit.co.uk/

https://next.ft.com/content/1745f3c2-0d16-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515

Boris Johnson's advisor, a UKIP leadership candidate... not sure that they really count as "independent".

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Another "its my way or the highway" , there so stupid that they "don't get it". It might just be you dont get it

Hmmm maybe but, if the rules were that either side that wins pays the bills if they are wrong, which would you vote for? A crumbling EU or a country that has for millennia proved capable of invention, innovation, the best financial sector and a trading nation NO other country can match in history?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think the giveaway is the word "FOR" - if they were independent they would simply present their data and arguments without saying which side they were on!

I think you are confused about the definition of the word independent.

independent

adjective
free from outside control; not subject to another's authority.
"an independent nuclear deterrent"
synonyms: freethinking, individualistic, unconventional, maverick; More

not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence.
"I wanted to remain independent in old age"
synonyms: self-sufficient, self-supporting, self-sustaining, self-reliant, self-standing, able to stand on one's own two feet;

As far as I am aware these economists haven'y received any funding from Vote Leave or rely on them to provide work unlike the numerous organisations that receive funds from HM government or the EU predicting less favourable Brexit scenarios.

You keep setting the credibility threshold for the Leave campaign ever higher, why is that?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I think you are confused about the definition of the word independent.

independent

adjective
free from outside control; not subject to another's authority.
"an independent nuclear deterrent"
synonyms: freethinking, individualistic, unconventional, maverick; More

not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence.
"I wanted to remain independent in old age"
synonyms: self-sufficient, self-supporting, self-sustaining, self-reliant, self-standing, able to stand on one's own two feet;

As far as I am aware these economists haven'y received any funding from Vote Leave or rely on them to provide work unlike the numerous organisations that receive funds from HM government or the EU predicting less favourable Brexit scenarios.

You keep setting the credibility threshold for the Leave campaign ever higher, why is that?

I like your posts. I tend to be a bit passionate when I shouldn't. I think you should keep kicking most 'inners' up the backside. Keep doing it!

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
The FT a pro Remain big business trade paper seems to think they are credible.

Credible isn't the same as independent. Gerard Lyons is in the pay of the office of one of the Remain camp's leaders, which seems to fail the definitions of independent you quoted above.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the giveaway is the word "FOR" - if they were independent they would simply present their data and arguments without saying which side they were on!
Actually, the giveaway word is 'Independent' - they have looked at the situation from an independent point of view, and have come to the conclusion that there is an economic case for leaving the EU. You will doubtless have a problem with that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Credible isn't the same as independent. Gerard Lyons is in the pay of the office of one of the Remain camp's leaders, which seems to fail the definitions of independent you quoted above.

Is he still the economic advisor to the former Mayor of London? What about the other seven?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Actually, the giveaway word is 'Independent' - they have looked at the situation from an independent point of view, and have come to the conclusion that there is an economic case for leaving the EU. You will doubtless have a problem with that.

I really don't want to snigger! Had too though, good reply.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
When are people going to stop giving credibility to these organisations speaking for both sides.Time and time again their forcasts are wrong and they adjust them on a regular basis.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009

Correct they are so stupid they even spell they're as there. but never mind Merkel is doing such a fantastic job in inviting the whole of Syria and anyone else who wants to come along (including terrorists) for a free meal ticket and for them to rob us of our health service. never mind the rest of what they will rob from us. not as if Schengen visa's will be that hard to come by...and cant wait Turkey is next.:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here