Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The one I get fed up of is "bad loser" like it was some kind of Corinthians' match. Those of us who are losing money and having to lay off good, hard working, by and large British workers who have no hope currently of re-employment have, I feel, every right to continue to make a protest against this self inflicted wound and the problems it is causing, yet I continue to hear that we should be applauding politely whilst forming a guard of honour.

**** that. Every time we have to sack someone I want to punch a Brexiteer..

I just want to punch remoaners.... period!.......................:lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
To be fair, you seem entirely blind to the fact that there must be some downsides to Brexitiers. Even if a hundred positive things happen after leaving the EU, there must by the law of averages be a few things that are negative by comparison, but you don't seem to acknowledge this?

If you can find a quote from me ever claiming the transition to Brexit will be 100% painless or that sunny uplands are guaranteed then you would be right but you won't so ....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's only been three months Imp, if your business has to start sacking people now then you were always going to.
You have no idea about business then.

Legislation, decisions by banks, suppliers or customers and yes, a massive shift in the exchange rate (amongst other things) can turn a thriving business into a dying one in a day, let alone three months.

Seen it first hand on quite a few occasions.

larus

Legislation, decisions by banks, suppliers or customers and yes, a massive shift in the exchange rate (amongst other things) can turn a thriving business into a dying one in a day, let alone three months.

Yes to the first 4, but I wouldn't call circa 15% a massive change in exchange rates - it's been a fast readjustment but not massive. The exchange rate vs Euro nearly hit parity in 2008, then hovered around 1:15-1:25 until about mid 2014, before gaining. So, I assume then that there was a massive increase in the exchange rate over the previous 2 years by your 'logic'?

I accept that there is some pain, but if a business is reliant upon the benefit of a gain in the exchange from FROM THE LAST 2 YEARS ONLY, then it's a business which is not viable long term.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
On the topic of employment.

Fears that a Brexit vote would trigger widespread job losses were not realised last month, with the number of people claiming jobseeker’s allowance unexpectedly falling. The claimant count fell by 8,600 to 763,600 in July, compared with expectations of a rise of 9,500, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). It was the first monthly fall since February 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/17/uk-unemployment-claimant-count-falls-after-brexit

Hopefully this trend will continue in the next set of figures due to be released next week.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Legislation changes are usually proposed, discussed, debated and eventually voted on in parliament. In short advance warning, a bit like the referendum. Good businesses usually have more than a 'Plan A' (unless it is run like Camerons government) Decisions by banks. Well if you are speaking about a withdrawal of credit facilities then you could infer allsorts from that could you not. So to suppliers and customers. You must have been aware of 'Marmitegate'. That row was resolved. If a customer or supplier doesn't want to deal with a company then something is wrong, very wrong. Massive shifts in the ERM can occur for a myriad of reasons. We have all heard of George Soros have we not. Usually a very healthy working liquid capital helps greatly when you have to weather a storm. Planning and foresight work wonders and running a company that sails too close to a thin line quantifies an unhealthy company.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The one I get fed up of is "bad loser" like it was some kind of Corinthians' match. Those of us who are losing money and having to lay off good, hard working, by and large British workers who have no hope currently of re-employment have, I feel, every right to continue to make a protest against this self inflicted wound and the problems it is causing, yet I continue to hear that we should be applauding politely whilst forming a guard of honour.

**** that. Every time we have to sack someone I want to punch a Brexiteer.
I think the bad loser comments are probably aimed at people such as Nick Clegg who won't accept the result. Continual bickering about something that has already happened doesn't allow for closure about that event. Much like a party one doesn't support being elected, such as the Tories for instance in the late seventies and eighties, divided the country and caused problems, this event has similar capacity. It didn't do anyone any good arguing about the way the country voted then and it won't do anyone any good arguing about the result of the referendum now.

On the subject of your business, it's easy for anyone to say that there will be winners and losers from the referendum. I know it's no compensation but I am sincerely sorry that your business has taken a hit and extremely saddened that you've had to lay staff off. That must be very hard considering all the time, money and personal investment involved in making a business.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Our order book, which is only about three weeks, fell by 65% overnight. It hasn't recovered. Share your top tips for managing that.

May i ask which field you are in/the company is in?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I think the bad loser comments are probably aimed at people such as Nick Clegg who won't accept the result. Continual bickering about something that has already happened doesn't allow for closure about that event. Much like a party one doesn't support being elected, such as the Tories for instance in the late seventies and eighties, divided the country and caused problems, this event has similar capacity. It didn't do anyone any good arguing about the way the country voted then and it won't do anyone any good arguing about the result of the referendum now.

On the subject of your business, it's easy for anyone to say that there will be winners and losers from the referendum. I know it's no compensation but I am sincerely sorry that your business has taken a hit and extremely saddened that you've had to lay staff off. That must be very hard considering all the time, money and personal investment involved in making a business.

Thank you. I think I'll be okay but a lot of the people who work/worked for us aren't going to be and neither are their families.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Surveying. If you are interested the 2 archeological and geophysical companies (which are the canaries of the business) took those hits immediately. The others - topographical, measured building, underground- are following.

Just curious....working in the courier service industry i have to agree with this and Underground is already under way..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here