Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The USA manage to do $1.9trillion of trade with the EU without being a member of the EU or the 'single market'. I think we manage just fine.

And with a currency weaker than the pound......there's hope yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:rock::laugh::bigwave:

larus

The value of £ sterling in relation to the Euro has been fairly stable for many years now, barring the odd hiccup. It's usually been around the 1 = 1.30-1.40 mark and, on that basis, there has been stability. Now that 20% has been wiped off the value of sterling the game has changed, and I see nothing that will make sterling recover that 20% any time soon.

This isn't a temporary market fluctuation, this is the world losing confidence in sterling's long term prospects.
Sorry, but that's rubbish.

From Mid 2008 to Mid 2014 (very approx) it was trading under 1.30, and for much of that time it would have been trading about 1.15-1.20. It's only in the last 2 years that it has gained in value. At the end of 2008, it was heading towards parity it's the Euro.

Look on www.xe.com at the Eur/gbp historical rate. This is factual data, and not just a gut feeling. We're on the low side now, but considering the level of uncertainty that's to be expected.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a country that has democratically decided to leave the EU. The elected constituency MP who became PM (we don't vote for PM's) leads a party that gave us the referendum and has committed to abide by the result. Record employment, low unemployment, growing GDP growth in the last quarter, predicted growth to continue , no recession as forecast by the doom mongers. Business confidence improving. Get a grip!

Are you on drugs? The pound has this week fallen to a record low ffs.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This isn't a football team going through a rough season, this is a country led by an unelected prime minister of a divided party making it up as they go along with weak opposition and a buffoon of a foreign minister. The rest of Europe will be licking their lips over nicking our business. Show me where there is any cause for optimism.

For those that want a football analogy it's like having Sami Hyypia in charge on a 10 year contract with a no-sacking clause.

Exactly. The immaturity of the 'you lost, get over it' set is quite staggering. And as for accusations of being unpatriotic...jesus wept.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
This is a country that has democratically decided to leave the EU. The elected constituency MP who became PM (we don't vote for PM's) leads a party that gave us the referendum and has committed to abide by the result. Record employment, low unemployment, growing GDP growth in the last quarter, predicted growth to continue , no recession as forecast by the doom mongers. Business confidence improving. Get a grip!

This is delusional. Record employment has happened while inside the EU and while business expansion plans and hiring assumed a remain vote. Most economic indicators lag while data is being collected and compiled - one direct and immediate indicator of economic health in contrast is the strength of the currency - which is at a level historically unprecedented with no sign or reason for recovery. Everything is going to become progressively more expensive this year and next. Predicted growth has been downgraded for 2017 following Brexit to boot.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

No it isn't a record low, although the Feb '85 nadir of $1.05 is now just a mere handful of Fat Fingers away...

GBPUSD Chart 1915-2016.gif

That's one hell of a nasty looking 100-year trend isn't it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like things were pretty good in the EU with record employment and record low unemployment. I don't remember this being championed by leave campaign. I though immigrants took all of our jobs.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Other countries survive by not being in the EU, so why can't we?

Is that the limit of Brexit, to survive?

Name a country within the European geographical area that is prospering outside of the EU without having agreements with the EU about freedom of movement, or without paying substantial money to the EU to effectively buy 'free trade'? Any other country you refer to, maybe Canada or Australia, is in an entirely different geographical area of the world and will almost certainly have trading agreements with its near neighbours, Canada with the US, and Australia with south east Asia. Even if deals can be done with other major manufacturing bases years down the line there will always be the vastly increased logistical costs that need to be factored in. Who do you suggest we should aim to have trade deal with, India, Brazil, Nigeria? Well I am sure that they won't quite carry the same benefits as deals with our EU neighbours.

Yeah, the remoaners continue to bleat, but just to make sure that everyone realises the enormous challenges this country faces, and also to ensure the Brexitiers are unable to sweep problems under the carpet, dust themselves down and say 'nothing to do with me'.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've been trying to stay off these threads because an internet bully was nasty to me :lolol:,but I can't ignore stupidity.'Not trying to tar everyone with the same brush but they don't know about how immigration works or are racists' is the daftest statement I've heard since June!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one as, based on your posting history, I think you're just thick rather than malicious. But seriously, can't you read?

It's a typical tabloid trick to cut and paste bits of sentences to make them say something completely different. But when the original text is actually quoted in the made up nonsense it doesn't work very well. Does it?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No it isn't a record low, although the Feb '85 nadir of $1.05 is now just a mere handful of Fat Fingers away...

View attachment 78667

That's one hell of a nasty looking 100-year trend isn't it.

Bit like global warming and melting of the Ice Caps in many ways,been happening in spite of rather than because of........perhaps?

larus

Noticed the the EU has failed to get another trade deal passed now with Canada. This was rejected in a regional parliament in Belgium, so can't be ratified.

This is the problem with the EU. It wants to act as a COUNTRY, but it's not, it's still a group of nation states, with nationalistic politics still the overriding factor.

The reality is we are unlikely to be able to negotiate a trade deal in 2 years with the EU. The evidence is clear; they want to punish us and any decent deal will need ratification by all 27 countries. They can't get TAFT agreed and now the Canadian deal looks dead too.

Outside of the EU, we should look to build new trade deals with other countries. Trade deals are in everyones interest, but the EU is a protectionist structure, so why bother? Before anyone says about how much of our trade is with the EU, I know. But not having a trade agreement doesn't stop us trading, we can still trade with them on WTO terms. It looks highly unlikely that we would be able to negotiate a deal within the time allowed, and even Donald Tusk has said it's either Hard Brexit or stay in the EU.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's not really bollocks then if its been 1.25-1.40 for 4 years plus. And why would interest rates go up now and choke off demand as mortgage rates rise? Our economy has nothing going for it any more after Brexit.

What a load of trollocks from a bad loser. Just keep looking on the negative side. Christ sake

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Noticed the the EU has failed to get another trade deal passed now with Canada. This was rejected in a regional parliament in Belgium, so can't be ratified.

This is the problem with the EU. It wants to act as a COUNTRY, but it's not, it's still a group of nation states, with nationalistic politics still the overriding factor.

The reality is we are unlikely to be able to negotiate a trade deal in 2 years with the EU. The evidence is clear; they want to punish us and any decent deal will need ratification by all 27 countries. They can't get TAFT agreed and now the Canadian deal looks dead too.

Outside of the EU, we should look to build new trade deals with other countries. Trade deals are in everyones interest, but the EU is a protectionist structure, so why bother? Before anyone says about how much of our trade is with the EU, I know. But not having a trade agreement doesn't stop us trading, we can still trade with them on WTO terms. It looks highly unlikely that we would be able to negotiate a deal within the time allowed, and even Donald Tusk has said it's either Hard Brexit or stay in the EU.

The EU hierarchy are only interested in themselves and the gravy train they have built over the years. The UK has put a spoke in these currupted wheels and they do not like it one bit

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sounds like things were pretty good in the EU with record employment and record low unemployment.

It's a crying shame that within the EU that statement has no validity. Terrible unemployment in Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. Even the French and Germans are not doing so well. We dodged a bullet by not being in the Euro which has crippled the European economy since its introduction. And it looks like it's getting worse. The EU want ever closer integration, something that has generally been very unpopular over here for generations (and a growing sentiment now in many other EU countries), after all, we were told we were joining a common market, not the united states of Europe. It's a failed project, the sooner the EU slips into the history books the better.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

No. The strength of the pound is one economic indicator but it's considerable (not record) reduction which has both positive and negative effects does not justify your .. "Our economy has nothing going for it any more after Brexit" .. statement. Which in the cold light of day I think you would admit is rather silly.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well please explain what the positives have been.

This is delusional. Record employment has happened while inside the EU and while business expansion plans and hiring assumed a remain vote. Most economic indicators lag while data is being collected and compiled - one direct and immediate indicator of economic health in contrast is the strength of the currency - which is at a level historically unprecedented with no sign or reason for recovery. Everything is going to become progressively more expensive this year and next. Predicted growth has been downgraded for 2017 following Brexit to boot.

So to recap, majority of people vote for Brexit, stock market plunges, remoaners* immediately jump on this saying I told you so, FTSE 100 recovers but this apparently now doesn't count as FTSE 250 is more representative of UK business .. which is still down.

FTSE 250 recovers and even hits record high. Remoaners now say this is only because Brexit hasn't happened yet. Numerous indicators that were negative and jumped on also recover, once again we are now told this is because Brexit hasn't happened yet. Experts claiming a recession was imminent, row back on their forecasts. Predicted growth is upgraded.

At least you have the originality to come up with a new 'lagging economic indicator' line although not sure how this fits in with the previous Brexit hasn't happened excuse.

Yes the fall in the pound is something the remoaners can focus on to confirm there unwavering certainty that Brexit will be calamitous.

* Remoaners - unfalteringly, negative, pessimistic .. amplifying every bit of bad news while studiously ignoring the good or retaining any sense of perspective. Most Remainers aren't remoaners

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here