Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Heard a Brexiteer in the pub the other day:
"The £ now only gets 4.5 Polish Zloty as opposed to 6 in early June. Bang goes my Summer holiday in Gdansk next year. It will have to be Port Talbot again. Sauerkraut has gone through the roof and I may have to buy Branston Pickle instead. I am seriously considering going to do odd job work in Warsaw for 6 years on dodgy contracts to save some money for a deposit on a flat back home"

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If the EU gave you the choice today, join us fully that includes adopting the Euro or Leave which one would you opt for?

Even hypothetical questions have degrees of relevance. You might as well ask - If the Albion gave you as a ST holder the choice today, join us fully as a 1901 member or Leave which one would you opt for? Neither choice was or will be on the cards and are therefore not relevant. Don't be so binary, things are never black or white.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Seriously? With myriad factors available to castigate EU membership that is the most significant argument you can muster? Ignoring the obviously tenuous nature of your postulation (although totally unable to dismiss the image of flying pigs) if you were sufficiently motivated to want to change the Treaty of Rome or revoke the Maastricht accord then I'd suggest, driven by your resolve, you'd be totally and utterly focused on who to lobby and more than well aware of who had the influence to initiate change.

You seem as poorly informed about the downside of EU membership as you are about the up.

instead of typing all that it would have been easier to simply admit you dont know

the issue is moot anyway,as we are leaving The EU, removing ourselves from The ECJ and regaining much lost sovereignty

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Even hypothetical questions have degrees of relevance. You might as well ask - If the Albion gave you as a ST holder the choice today, join us fully as a 1901 member or Leave which one would you opt for? Neither choice was or will be on the cards and are therefore not relevant. Don't be so binary, things are never black or white.

why so evasive to a simple question? its relevant because the EU does want all nations to conform to the single currency. they have repeatedly failed to address the problem of inherent two tier EU created by non-conformity on single currency, because their objective is that members will eventually conform. lets say the next major treaty enshrines a road map for all members to join the Euro, would you agree to accept that?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
why so evasive to a simple question? its relevant because the EU does want all nations to conform to the single currency. they have repeatedly failed to address the problem of inherent two tier EU created by non-conformity on single currency, because their objective is that members will eventually conform. lets say the next major treaty enshrines a road map for all members to join the Euro, would you agree to accept that?

Classic Fairy Godfather play: ask a ridiculous question then when someone more intelligent than you refuses to play the game, switch everything around to them "avoiding the question" and hound them through the thread making out that anything they say is now irrelevant because they don't wish to play your stupid games.
I can only assume Pastafarian has joined the hunt and is Doubling the horn as I type.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Classic Fairy Godfather play: ask a ridiculous question then when someone more intelligent than you refuses to play the game, switch everything around to them "avoiding the question" and hound them through the thread making out that anything they say is now irrelevant because they don't wish to play your stupid games.
I can only assume Pastafarian has joined the hunt and is Doubling the horn as I type.

Its a relevant question for the reasons he explained and also considering uninformed people like you will want us to rejoin The EU as new members in some years down the line.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Classic stumble-in-half-arsed. you can answer it for yourself if you wish, or leave Diego to respond or not. its a simple hypothetical question that drives to the heart of the EU debate and what future they would support, in other circumstances that "Euro or leave" question might have been the next the referendum.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Classic stumble-in-half-arsed. you can answer it for yourself if you wish, or leave Diego to respond or not. its a simple hypothetical question that drives to the heart of the EU debate and what future they would support, in other circumstances that "Euro or leave" question might have been the next the referendum.

Ha! You mob really don't do anything to help yourselves do you!! Brilliant.
No, it's a stupid question posed by stupid people, utterly irrelevant. That question has never been on the cards and never will be. Whichever way it is answered it is designed for The Fairy Godfathers to point score.
Tell you what, come back to me with a decent, well thought out question that has no hidden agenda and I'll consider answering. Until then I suggest you stick to giggling at the back of class with the other low achievers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ha! You mob really don't do anything to help yourselves do you!! Brilliant.
No, it's a stupid question posed by stupid people, utterly irrelevant. That question has never been on the cards and never will be. Whichever way it is answered it is designed for The Fairy Godfathers to point score.
Tell you what, come back to me with a decent, well thought out question that has no hidden agenda and I'll consider answering. Until then I suggest you stick to giggling at the back of class with the other low achievers.

I never imagined visiting this thread and having a laugh .... great stuff and very true

Non-hypothetically speaking, how could such a position be arrived at?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
instead of typing all that it would have been easier to simply admit you dont know

I don't know and it's so insignificant that I don't care; it was your flimsily best effort at explaining why it was best to leave the EU.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Non-hypothetically speaking, how could such a position be arrived at?

just as they put in place articles for a common foreign policy and a EU army in to Lisbon, they can make some provision for joining the Eurozone as part of the next EU treaty. there already supposed to be a framework with all members joining exchange rate mechanicsim with objective of joining the Eurozone, they could put firm time frame around that. currently Euro is hamstrung by a lack of EU fiscal policy, and thats difficult to achieve while some members are outside. if they press ahead with only the existing eurozone it would lead inevitably to two tiers with those EU+Euro having different rights and responsibilties to those EU-only.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I never imagined visiting this thread and having a laugh .... great stuff and very true

Thought that was the main reason for visiting this thread .. especially if reading The Clamp's mainly frivolous contributions.

Getting back to the substantive issue. According to 'expert' opinion (IMF, Economists etc) the pound has been overvalued for some time. Forecasts (in 2015) predicted it could fall as low as $1.15 this year. As we know these expert opinions were gospel when it suited the Remain argument so at best I suppose people could say the Brexit vote has facilitated this inevitable readjustment.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

I wasn't being evasive, I don't see the point of the question, it's symptomatic of the irrelevances that get people in a tizz. If you must know, I would be happy to be part of a single European currency. I'm not wedded to the queen's head on my money any more than the UK was to the gold standard or the guinea, florin or groat.

You can say "lets say the next major treaty enshrines a road map for all members to join the Euro" but it's a hypothetical, irrelevant question. Detailed negotiation, accommodation, agreement and settlement take place during the years ahead of any Treaty. The terms aren't suddenly foisted on any country, the UK has negotiated "opt outs" from previous Treaties, that option is there for all member states. Given the earthquake that is Brexit, the reality is that the EU won't be provoking Denmark or Sweden (or any of the other European states) follow the same route.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thought that was the main reason for visiting this thread .. especially if reading The Clamp's mainly frivolous contributions.

Getting back to the substantive issue. According to 'expert' opinion (IMF, Economists etc) the pound has been overvalued for some time. Forecasts (in 2015) predicted it could fall as low as $1.15 this year. As we know these expert opinions were gospel when it suited the Remain argument so at best I suppose people could say the Brexit vote has facilitated this inevitable readjustment.

I'm not getting drawn into the academic debate, for every economist that says one thing you will find another that says the complete opposite, even within the same organisation

The fact is our currency has crashed, you suggest it's a natural correction .... whoever said 'clutching at straws' then I'm 100% with them.

I'm definitely not getting sucked in further but will check back from time to time for more comedy moments

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Our economy is crashing.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I wasn't being evasive, I don't see the point of the question, it's symptomatic of the irrelevances that get people in a tizz. If you must know, I would be happy to be part of a single European currency.

fair enough, you're at ease with that option. raising the question, core to the wider European project, is never irrelevant. many dont want to address any consequences of remaining, as if nothing would change and everything would be to our advantage had we voted the other way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here