Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

This really is beginners page 1 stuff :ffsparr:
Why are you not aware this "deal" and relationship "nonsense" are part of the Article 50 leaving process?

"the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union"

Surely this is just a recognition within the Treaty text that there may be more than one option open to the departing Member State in terms of its future relationship with the EU and that the Council will take this on board when negotiating the Withdrawal Treaty? I don't think there's much more to it, and maybe you don't either, but tbh I haven't read many of your previous posts on this thread. Are you contending that there's something more substantial here?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Surely this is just a recognition within the Treaty text that there may be more than one option open to the departing Member State in terms of its future relationship with the EU and that the Council will take this on board when negotiating the Withdrawal Treaty? I don't think there's much more to it, and maybe you don't either, but tbh I haven't read many of your previous posts on this thread. Are you contending that there's something more substantial here?

No,nothing more substantial at all. It is what it is.

There are indeed different opportunities. Lets have crack at these opportunities that give us a different UK/EU relationship.
Lets be out of the EU mechanism but good neighbours with strong trade links.

I simply disagree with Herr T that us and The EU should cut loose,have nothing to do with each other and have no trade "deals" at all.

Seems to be a standpoint born out of losing petulance rather than pragmatism.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So you just looked up an old thread in order to post this? Are you a bit short of things to do today?
ad

i wondered what happened to the old thread as it came up in discussion,was curious what would happen if i posted on it,even more confused it somehow automatically became instantly merged......im not a criminal here........but yes i have a full free day to do whatever i want

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought this thread was dead. Sadly not.
This thread will be busy when the economy does well or badly, busy when Article 50 is triggaaared, busy each time we hear about the new deal, busy when we eventually leave, and then busy again each time the economy does well or badly post Brexit.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh dear. You spent many posts last night using terms like "moron" etc. Not your finest hours, may i remind you that 52% of the country are "morons".....or to be generous perhaps you are an example of a few in the Remain camp.

Where did this 52% of the country come from. Surely you were not suggesting that 52% of the country voted out as everyone knows this was 52% of those that voted.
Still good to see that you are consistent in posting inaccurate details. Well done

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This thread will be busy when the economy does well or badly, busy when Article 50 is triggaaared, busy each time we hear about the new deal, busy when we eventually leave, and then busy again each time the economy does well or badly post Brexit.

I'll take heart from the fact that it lay dormant for 2 months.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Britain opens the door to Apple: Downing Street says iPhone giant would be 'welcome' here after EU orders it to pay back £11BILLION in tax to Ireland over 'sweetheart deal'
£11bn ($14.5bn) penalty issued is 40 times higher than previous EU record
Ireland will be asked to claw back billions but will refuse cash and appeal
Apple paid as little as 0.005% tax a year on its profits outside the US
In 2011 it made $22bn profits but just $55m was deemed taxable in Ireland
Tech giant will appeal and say EU figures are 'completely made-up'
Google and Amazon could be next with EU rulings due in the next year
US Treasury has warned EU not to pursue American companies over tax

Apple would be 'welcome' in Britain after a landmark EU ruling ordered it to pay back £11billion in tax to Ireland following it's 'sweetheart deal', Downing Street said today.
Number 10 said 'Britain is open for business' and Theresa May's official spokesman described the UK's Corporation Tax as 'one of the lowest in the world' as it suggested the tech giant could move its European headquarters to London.
Experts believe that a post-Brexit Britain - with an economy free from Brussels - could be able to attract companies such as Apple with its own tax deals.
Apple has already threatened to cut EU jobs and investment after it was told its sweetheart deal with Ireland amounted to illegal state aid.
It was ordered to pay back £11billion in a landmark ruling today - the biggest tax bill ever imposed outside the US.

More..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-11BILLION-tax-Ireland-sweetheart-deal.html

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Where did this 52% of the country come from. Surely you were not suggesting that 52% of the country voted out as everyone knows this was 52% of those that voted.
Still good to see that you are consistent in posting inaccurate details. Well done

Those that couldn't be arsed to vote or refrained out of protest have NO voice. End of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Britain opens the door to Apple: Downing Street says iPhone giant would be 'welcome' here after EU orders it to pay back £11BILLION in tax to Ireland over 'sweetheart deal'

Apple would be 'welcome' in Britain after a landmark EU ruling ordered it to pay back £11billion in tax to Ireland following it's 'sweetheart deal', Downing Street said today.
Number 10 said 'Britain is open for business' and Theresa May's official spokesman described the UK's Corporation Tax as 'one of the lowest in the world' as it suggested the tech giant could move its European headquarters to London.
Experts believe that a post-Brexit Britain - with an economy free from Brussels - could be able to attract companies such as Apple with its own tax deals.
Apple has already threatened to cut EU jobs and investment after it was told its sweetheart deal with Ireland amounted to illegal state aid.
It was ordered to pay back £11billion in a landmark ruling today - the biggest tax bill ever imposed outside the US.

More..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-11BILLION-tax-Ireland-sweetheart-deal.html

How grubby can you get? We should be fighting this sort of crap, not desperately cosying up to it. If this is what Britain wants to be I'm glad I left.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The more I read about the Apple deal the more it stinks. Seriously, do people really want the UK to act the same? What if you're a business person or company owner? Do you really think it's fair one company gets such incredible perks but you don't? How is it fair one company is allowed to pay just 1% Corp tax but you pay 20? How is that fair? Fair enough if it applies to everyone but it didn't..and it was kept secret. Is this what you want?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How grubby can you get? We should be fighting this sort of crap, not desperately cosying up to it. If this is what Britain wants to be I'm glad I left.

Since when has the EU been a guiding light of big business morality, they are not protecting tax receipts for the good of the people they are protecting the non competitiveness of other EU member states.

When Apple slips out into another continent and the Irish take an unemployment hit you can give yourself a big pat on the back and whilst we are at it why dont you you ever protest at the unsustainable unemployment in your neighbouring EU countries, why do you continually snipe away at the UK and never and I mean never mention some of the quite horrendous economic situations within the EU, there's plenty to challenge of you cared enough.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
These are the kind of deals the UK can expect from now on. Workers rights eroded as harsh terms are foisted upon us. I warned this would happen way back in July and what do ya know, it's started. Well done Brexiteers. This is what you voted for.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here