[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
a vote once the negotiations have ended and we know what Brexit ACTUALLY means, then we can vote to uphold Brexit or not. Once we have the FULL picture . THAT would be your TRUE democracy.
But that's unworkable. If it's a) accept these terms, or b) don't leave, then the politicians can just come up with some rubbish terms and we'd have no choice but to vote remain. In other words, deliberately ignoring the original vote.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree. No second referendum for either but a vote once the negotiations have ended and we know what Brexit ACTUALLY means, then we can vote to uphold Brexit or not. Once we have the FULL picture . THAT would be your TRUE democracy.

THAT would also BE a SECOND referendum.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Suggest you research the history of the UK.
My history is good thanks.
Yes, i am absolutely saying you have bo say on whether Scotland stays in the UK or not
I didn't say I did have a say. You said it was up to the Scots. You're wrong. People who are part of a country do not have a right to choose independence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you like. Stop buying French bread, French mustard, French wine and French letters whilst at it.

Could you live without Roquefort?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What about all the other French words in the English dictionary? Shall we scrap them as well?

You can't make a dish of fried, beaten eggs without breaking eggs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can't make a dish of fried, beaten eggs without breaking eggs.

Whats this metaphor got to do with the English dictionary?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suppose that's true. A second referendum with all the facts on the table. Wouldn't that be the very essence of DEMOCRACY eh!

I really do believe it should be debated in the House but by our MPs; we don't need another referendum.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
No, he was a Norman. They were descended from Norse raiders and pirates from Denmark, Iceland and Norway who eventually came to some sort of 'agreement' with the French (in the same way as you could say they came to an 'agreement' with the English).

True, but the Norse elite were small in number and intermingled with the local French. When William invaded over two generations later they had elements of French to them including the language. The Norman takeover continued that trend with elite speaking and writing French and the commoners still talking in Anglo-Saxon and that gap didn't close until at least the 13th century - I seem to recall John (1199-1216) being the first Norman monarch who could actually converse in the same language as the peasantry, you only have to look at words like beautiful and wood to see that the former comes from the French, 'beau' for pretty, and the latter derives from the German 'Wald' to get some idea how our language was shaped by class. Incidentally, when the Normans took control of England they did so using a number of non-Norman French families - then again allegience was to the monarch who represented the state - see also the Hundred Years War when a number of French families fought for the English king.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Whats this metaphor got to do with the English dictionary?

You can't take all the French words out of the English dictionary without it having an effect on the language.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what did happen?.......the people voted to Leave, just because you did not agree though eh.

Do you agree that Brexit, the biggest ever political issue in our life time, should now be left to just 3 MPs? Or do you think the whole house should debate what happens next?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Do you agree that Brexit should now be left to just 3 MPs? Or do you think the whole house should debate what happens next?

The vote was to get out of the EU, we get out and the government who we elected, who GAVE us the referendum, should work for the best deals for our non EU country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HT, don't fall into the trap set by the brexiteers, only just above half voted exit, just under were quite happy.

I understand this. And it will be foolish, dangerous even, for the government to totally ignore the wishes of 48% of the nation. But the nation has voted to leave and I respect that. I am puzzled why there is seemingly now a plan to try and do a trade deal with the corrupt and unaccountable EU though. If you want to leave, leave, don't try and do a sneaky back-door half-way house deal.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Do you agree that Brexit, the biggest ever political issue in our life time, should now be left to just 3 MPs? Or do you think the whole house should debate what happens next?

When Cameron came back triumphant after supposedly securing a new relationship with the EU all i could hear from those that wanted to remain was jolly good show and no need to vote to leave the EU now, what a brilliant new relationship he has negotiated.
I didnt hear anyone from any side demanding the house should vote on his negotiations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The vote was to get out of the EU, we get out and the government who we elected, who GAVE us the referendum, should work for the best deals for our non EU country.

Interesting, and very odd, position for someone who supported the return of sovereignty to the uk.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I understand this. And it will be foolish, dangerous even, for the government to totally ignore the wishes of 48% of the nation. But the nation has voted to leave and I respect that. I am puzzled why there is seemingly now a plan to try and do a trade deal with the corrupt and unaccountable EU though. If you want to leave, leave, don't try and do a sneaky back-door half-way house deal.

you must be in a minority of 1 if you think its a bad idea for the UK and the EU to have a trade deal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports