Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lloyds could keep the branches open if they really wanted too couldn't they? ****ing greed of it makes me sick.

People in that bank who probably earn the same amount as 5 people working in a Branch, dealing face to face with the customers Lloyds are about to let down. In the grand scheme of things how much does it honestly cost to keep a branch running compared to the profits they make.

That's Brexit for you. Gonna bring out the worst in the greedy companies.Just the very start of it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lloyds could keep the branches open if they really wanted too couldn't they? ****ing greed of it makes me sick.

They probably could, but why should they pay staff to sit around waiting for customers to come in, and when does it is probably a pensioner wanting a 30 minute chat for something that should only take minutes. In all honesty how often do you go into your local bank branch to use the counter service or to discuss financial matters with a member of the staff.

While I prefer to use an inside cash point as opposed to one on the pavement, I can;t recall the last time I made use of the counter service or discussed anything with staff, which would mean at least several years ago. I expect many are in the same position so the need for branch on every High Street is an outdated model.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
While I prefer to use an inside cash point as opposed to one on the pavement, I can;t recall the last time I made use of the counter service or discussed anything with staff, which would mean at least several years ago. I expect many are in the same position so the need for branch on every High Street is an outdated model.

I've had to use them a fair bit in the last couple of years to be honest. They insisted I go to a branch to set up a car loan (even though I applied for it online); to set up a bank account for my daughter; and to provide the required documents for a mortgage. All three were different banks. Whenever I do go to a bank there seems to be a queue :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

People in that bank who probably earn the same amount as 5 people working in a Branch, dealing face to face with the customers Lloyds are about to let down. In the grand scheme of things how much does it honestly cost to keep a branch running compared to the profits they make.

I'm afraid, priorities in PLC's work in the following order...

Shareholders
Customers
Staff

Lloyds are entering choppy waters and they're carrying too much weight

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm afraid, priorities in PLC's work in the following order...

Shareholders
Customers
Staff

Lloyds are entering choppy waters and they're carrying too much weight
I didn't realise that Lloyds put customers ahead of staff. I'm surprised they still have anyone working for them.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I was feeling pretty happy anyway but you've really cheered me up with this. Until ten minutes ago I really thought you were serious, now I'm certain you're a fun-fun-fun satirist. Well done, you certainly took me in!

PS: Project Fear DID materialise. Leave won.

If I can manage to cheer up someone afflicted with some of the worse symptoms of PBMD* I may consider opening a string of clinics to help alleviate the suffering from this ongoing epidemic.

If you insist on providing such a rich vein of material it would be rude not to satirise it!

*Post Brexit Melancholy Depression

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The "positive" campaign included an out right lie about how much money is paid from UK to EU, and a false suggestion of what could be done with the ficticious amount of money, a poster picturing lines of refugees and the words Breaking Point, and a suggestion that Turkey would soon be joining and that much of Turkey would want to move here.

Some of the extremes of what you call Project fear, (otherwise known as expert opinion) have not yet materialised, this is true. I think you are a bit like the guy who jumps off a tall building, there is a period at the beginning where everything seems to be going quite well.

I think you misunderstand what "sour grapes" is/are, but there is no need to put up a straw man when most of the leave position argument is already made of straw.

The hilarious exchanges between myself and Lincoln Imp referenced the leave strategy 'at the moment' which is emphasising the positive .. for many good reasons.

I'm a bit like the guy who just voted for this country to have the same status as the vast majority of countries around the world, an independent nation state. The fact you consider this to be in anyway comparable to suicide speaks volumes for your mindset.

Perhaps you would like to pre book a slot at the PBMD clinic? (coming soon to a location near you)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No it isn't. It's Lloyds putting profit before anything else. No change there.

Oh lordy, what's got you upset now?

I'm fully aware absolutely nothing bad whatsoever has, is or will happen because of Brexit. The elite minds of NSC have stated Brexit is a good thing and if they say it's Tuesday, it's Tuesday.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Perhaps you could look to secure EU social fund money to take this new venture further? :lolol:

Good idea .. hope it's not too late Perhaps applying to HMG for some of that £350 million a week EU membership fee (soon to be returned) could be an alternative although as we know that's pre designated for the NHS.

:D

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Haven't been on here for a good while, so this might have been discussed already, but the following is Stephen Hawkings' response to Brexit:

Our attitude towards wealth played a crucial role in Brexit. We need a rethink
Stephen Hawking

Does money matter? Does wealth make us rich any more? These might seem like odd questions for a physicist to try to answer, but Britain’s referendum decision is a reminder that everything is connected and that if we wish to understand the fundamental nature of the universe, we’d be very foolish to ignore the role that wealth does and doesn’t play in our society.

I argued during the referendum campaign that it would be a mistake for Britain to leave the European Union. I’m sad about the result, but if I’ve learned one lesson in my life it is to make the best of the hand you are dealt. Now we must learn to live outside the EU, but in order to manage that successfully we need to understand why British people made the choice that they did. I believe that wealth, the way we understand it and the way we share it, played a crucial role in their decision. As the prime minister, Theresa May, said in her first week in office: “We need to reform the economy to allow more people to share in the country’s prosperity.”

We all know that money is important. One of the reasons I believed it would be wrong to leave the EU was related to grants. British science needs all the money it can get, and one important source of such funding has for many years been the European commission. Without these grants, much important work would not and could not have happened. There is already some evidence of British scientists being frozen out of European projects, and we need the government to tackle this issue as soon possible.

Money is also important because it is liberating for individuals. I have spoken in the past about my concern that government spending cuts in the UK will diminish support for disabled students, support that helped me during my career. In my case, of course, money has helped not only make my career possible but has also literally kept me alive.

On one occasion while in Switzerland early on in my career, I developed pneumonia, and my college at Cambridge, Gonville and Caius, arranged to have me flown back to the UK for treatment. Without their money I might not have survived to do all the thinking that I’ve managed since then. Cash can set individuals free, just as poverty can certainly trap them and limit their potential, to their own detriment and that of the human race.

Paying for my care as a severely disabled man, and my work, is crucial; the acquisition of possessions is not.
So I would be the last person to decry the significance of money. However, although wealth has played an important practical role in my life, I have of course had a different relationship with it to most people. Paying for my care as a severely disabled man, and my work, is crucial; the acquisition of possessions is not. I don’t know what I would do with a racehorse, or indeed a Ferrari, even if I could afford one. So I have come to see money as a facilitator, as a means to an end – whether it is for ideas, or health, or security – but never as an end in itself.

Interestingly this attitude, for a long time seen as the predictable eccentricity of a Cambridge academic, is now more widely shared. People are starting to question the value of pure wealth. Is knowledge or experience more important than money? Can possessions stand in the way of fulfilment? Can we truly own anything, or are we just transient custodians?

These questions are leading to a shift in behaviour which, in turn, is inspiring some groundbreaking new enterprises and ideas. These are termed “cathedral projects”, the modern equivalent of the grand church buildings, constructed as part of humanity’s attempt to bridge heaven and Earth. These ideas are started by one generation with the hope a future generation will take up these challenges.

I hope and believe that people will embrace more of this cathedral thinking for the future, as they have done in the past, because we are in perilous times. Our planet and the human race face multiple challenges. These challenges are global and serious – climate change, food production, overpopulation, the decimation of other species, epidemic disease, acidification of the oceans. Such pressing issues will require us to collaborate, all of us, with a shared vision and cooperative endeavour to ensure that humanity can survive. We will need to adapt, rethink, refocus and change some of our fundamental assumptions about what we mean by wealth, by possessions, by mine and yours. Just like children, we will have to learn to share.

If we fail then the forces that contributed to Brexit, the envy and isolationism not just in the UK but around the world that spring from not sharing, of cultures driven by a narrow definition of wealth and a failure to divide it more fairly, both within nations and across national borders, will strengthen. If that were to happen, I would not be optimistic about the long-term outlook for our species.

But we can and will succeed. Humans are endlessly resourceful, optimistic and adaptable. We must broaden our definition of wealth to include knowledge, natural resources, and human capacity, and at the same time learn to share each of those more fairly. If we do this, then there is no limit to what humans can achieve together.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Good idea .. hope it's not too late Perhaps applying to HMG for some of that £350 million a week EU membership fee (soon to be returned) could be an alternative although as we know that's pre designated for the NHS.

:D

The £350 million a week doesn't include the rebate though and the money back such as The EU social fund to help enterprising entrepreneurial people such as yourself start a new venture, such as 'JC's PBMD clinics'.

Obviously you'll need to set up a business account, so I'd suggest going to one of the many branches of Lloyds Bank to do this.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They probably could, but why should they pay staff to sit around waiting for customers to come in, and when does it is probably a pensioner wanting a 30 minute chat for something that should only take minutes. In all honesty how often do you go into your local bank branch to use the counter service or to discuss financial matters with a member of the staff.

Quite, they are just doing what all the other banks are doing, if you don't change you don't survive. The only time I ever go to the bank is to pay in a cheque and this could be done in a pre-paid envelope in a supermarket. The one other time was to see a mortgage advisor, I'd be happy if he came to my house

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The £350 million a week doesn't include the rebate though and the money back such as The EU social fund to help enterprising entrepreneurial people such as yourself start a new venture, such as 'JC's PBMD clinics'.

Obviously you'll need to set up a business account, so I'd suggest going to one of the many branches of Lloyds Bank to do this.

Still over 2000 branches of Lloyds Bank-just imagine how big and successful it would be if it wasn't run by idiots (economists and business graduates) :lolol:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Lloyds bank profits doubled to 2.4 billion, then make 3000 job losses & 200 further branches to close, part of the reason they attribute is Brexit. Absolute bollocks it would appear they are using this as an excuse to cut costs. No doubt 1st of many companies to do the same.

It would appear that the job cut decision was indeed taken pre-Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36911896

The bank confirmed that the decision to make further cuts was taken before the EU referendum on 23 June.

Interestingly, not all media reports have picked up on this rather important clarification.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here