Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
3,000 jobs to go at Lloyds bank in expectation of interest rate cut caused by Brexit. Well done everybody.

But it will be alright though, won't it?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Glaxo investing near on 300m in good old blighty is a bit of a blow to the doomsayers . They went back on everything they said they would do in the event of a Brexit vote

This investment wasn't dreamt up in the past five weeks - its planning hugely predates the referendum and Glaxo have said that they are continuing with it in spite of, not because of, the vote.

It is worth considering where the Leave strategy is at the moment.

1. Run a 'warm words' campaign, promising everything and nothing but devoting much effort to promoting fear and loathing of strangers.

2. Having won it, announce that everything is absolutely fine, ignoring any developing signs to the contrary.

3. Accuse anyone who doesn't buy it of being weird traitors and doomsayers.

It's an old old strategy, quite popular over the past 100 years. It shows few signs of dying out - Trump is round the corner with its next episode.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This investment wasn't dreamt up in the past five weeks - its planning hugely predates the referendum and Glaxo have said that they are continuing with it in spite of, not because of, the vote.

1. Run a 'warm words' campaign, promising everything and nothing but devoting much effort to promoting fear and loathing of strangers.

2. Having won it, announce that everything is absolutely fine, ignoring any developing signs to the contrary.

It's an old old strategy, quite popular over the past 100 years. It shows few signs of dying out - Trump is round the corner with its next episode.

Plus the UK government gives them enormous tax breaks.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Corrected for Accuracy.

1. Run a positive campaign promoting the UK.

2. Having won it point out many of the Project Fear scares have failed to materialise and suggest waiting a bit longer before righting off the whole Brexit project as a failure.

3. Rightly call out and ridicule all those who continue to wallow in sour grape juice and negativity as they straw man the Leave position.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Corrected for Accuracy.

2. Having won it point out many of the Project Fear scares have failed to materialise and suggest waiting a bit longer before righting off the whole Brexit project as a failure.

3. Rightly call out and ridicule all those who continue to wallow in sour grape juice and negativity as they straw man the Leave position.

I was feeling pretty happy anyway but you've really cheered me up with this. Until ten minutes ago I really thought you were serious, now I'm certain you're a fun-fun-fun satirist. Well done, you certainly took me in!

PS: Project Fear DID materialise. Leave won.

3,000 jobs to go at Lloyds bank in expectation of interest rate cut caused by Brexit. Well done everybody.

Blaming Brexit, when these job losses were announced months ago. Still made a tidy profit though. Shameless management from a shameless company.

Their efficiency drive started in 2014 and they have already offloaded 9000 jobs. Managed to make 2.5 billion, so the suits are doing alright.
# Brexcuses
Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Lloyds bank profits doubled to 2.4 billion, then make 3000 job losses & 200 further branches to close, part of the reason they attribute is Brexit. Absolute bollocks it would appear they are using this as an excuse to cut costs. No doubt 1st of many companies to do the same.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Corrected for Accuracy.

The "positive" campaign included an out right lie about how much money is paid from UK to EU, and a false suggestion of what could be done with the ficticious amount of money, a poster picturing lines of refugees and the words Breaking Point, and a suggestion that Turkey would soon be joining and that much of Turkey would want to move here.

Some of the extremes of what you call Project fear, (otherwise known as expert opinion) have not yet materialised, this is true. I think you are a bit like the guy who jumps off a tall building, there is a period at the beginning where everything seems to be going quite well.

I think you misunderstand what "sour grapes" is/are, but there is no need to put up a straw man when most of the leave position argument is already made of straw.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lloyds bank profits doubled to 2.4 billion, then make 3000 job losses & 200 further branches to close, part of the reason they attribute is Brexit. Absolute bollocks it would appear they are using this as an excuse to cut costs. No doubt 1st of many companies to do the same.

Head line profit increase was mainly down to much lower PPI compensation payments in the 6 month period for declared figures, but underlying profit was down 5%. Part of the reason is Brexit and the expected interest rate cut which the Bank of England will announce shortly. The main reason though would be to realign the business to how customers prefer to bank these days, with most people using cash machines, direct debits and on-line banking so the need for branch staff is obviously reduced.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Blaming Brexit, when these job losses were announced months ago. Still made a tidy profit though. Shameless management from a shameless company.

Their efficiency drive started in 2014 and they have already offloaded 9000 jobs. Managed to make 2.5 billion, so the suits are doing alright.
# Brexcuses
Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Those announced today are in addition of those previously stated, and they have explicitly stated the reason for their decision.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Expectation of profits to be cut when interest rates are lowered, which is almost a certainty, caused by a loss of business confidence caused by what I wonder?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Expectation of profits to be cut when interest rates are lowered, which is almost a certainty, caused by a loss of business confidence caused by what I wonder?

Loss of face more like, from those in cushty positions of some power and influence with humble pie getting in their eyes post Brexit.

Entrepreneurs however and genuine wealth creators can see opportunities to prosper.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Uh oh, looks like Brexiteers are starting to realise how they've effed up the economy.........you can tell by the desperate denial on this thread! If it wasn't so serious it'd be funny!

Violin player on the Titanic: " You can still hear me... You can still hear me...you can still....." Blub blub blub....

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Loss of face more like, from those in cushty positions of some power and influence with humble pie getting in their eyes post Brexit.

Entrepreneurs however and genuine wealth creators can see opportunities to prosper.

Pity the man on the street will suffer.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Pity the man on the street will suffer.

I can only guess you have not followed the unemployment rates within the EU recently, there seems very few lessons to be learnt from those living within it.

There will always be some major job losses for a myriad of economic reasons at none specific times, those of you that still cannot deal with the Brexit will try where you can to pin it on Brexit.

Ultimately even those licking their wounds might be better served to become a little less sceptical and become more entrepreneurial and proactive to adjust to the newly evolving business environment, if they cant they will soon be moved out.

Exciting times ahead economically and a more vigorous policy of border controls on immigration might ultimately trump anything else anyway, I sense the EU is irrevocably doomed, weak leadership, poor policy decisions and an overriding arrogance has seen to that.

D

Deleted member 22389

My brother in law works for Lloyds Bank and they have been cutting jobs and closing branches for months, like all the other banks, reason? A lot more people do online banking. Honestly I haven't visited a bank in months, I don't need too.

Also If you go to Newhaven the banks went years ago, again nothing to do Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can only guess you have not followed the unemployment rates within the EU recently, there seems very few lessons to be learnt from those living within it.

There will always be some major job losses for a myriad of economic reasons at none specific times, those of you that still cannot deal with the Brexit will try where you can to pin it on Brexit.

Ultimately even those licking their wounds might be better served to become a little less sceptical and become more entrepreneurial and proactive to adjust to the newly evolving business environment, if they cant they will soon be moved out.

Exciting times ahead economically and a more vigorous policy of border controls on immigration might ultimately trump anything else anyway, I sense the EU is irrevocably doomed, weak leadership, poor policy decisions and an overriding arrogance has seen to that.

I know. The vote to leave has been a monumental success ( keep saying it, it may come true).

You're basically saying: get used to it. Shape up. Find ways to make money or perish. That will probably work for about 30% of the population who can. The others will struggle. Ironically, most if them voted Leave. Nope, your argument does not hold water I'm afraid.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

This was always Lloyds plan as high street banks are largely obsolete, but Brexit has brought forward the need to cut costs.

Lloyds are expect to cut their dividend because of Brexit though, most financial stocks are pricing in a UK slowdown. Suffice to say shares down a 1/3 since Brexit.

D

Deleted member 22389

This was always Lloyds plan as high street banks are largely obsolete, but Brexit has brought forward the need to cut costs.

Lloyds are expect to cut their dividend because of Brexit though, most financial stocks are pricing in a UK slowdown. Suffice to say shares down a 1/3 since Brexit.

Lloyds could keep the branches open if they really wanted too couldn't they? ****ing greed of it makes me sick.

People in that bank who probably earn the same amount as 5 people working in a Branch, dealing face to face with the customers Lloyds are about to let down. In the grand scheme of things how much does it honestly cost to keep a branch running compared to the profits they make.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here