Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There has been much confusion around the triggering article 50 question which is unsurprising considering the lack of contingency planning . Some Brexiteers wanted it triggered asap as they don't trust the government to deliver Brexit and some remainers seem to think we are delaying because we are trying to avoid Brexit. It was always likely to be the best option to wait as it is in our national interest to do so.

As you point out the Swiss situation has some bearing on the free movement question. We also need time to establish our red lines,formulate a negotiating strategy and to gather the relevant negotiating expertise before embarking on years of complex political/trade negotiations. But most importantly we are in relatively strong position as the EU can't move forward until we officially start the exit process. We also still have use of our EU veto so could cause considerable problems if provoked.

It does look like the EU were bluffing re single market access = free movement which many of us thought would be the case despite continuously being told the opposite was a 'fact'.

I wouldn't say it was a "fact", just likely on the balance of probabilities. However, a lot is now up in the air, possibly as much to do with terrorism as anything else. One response would be to scrap Schengen....another would be to gradually erode the Free Movement of People principle. Perhaps both. With both French and German elections next year, who knows what might happen. One thing's for sure - the mainstream political parties in each country will have to fend off the far right, and may be tempted to do something which was unimaginable a few months ago. As a Remainer, I would love us to stay, but the next best option is continuing access to the Single Market with limits over free movement. You never know.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You are right I havnt
What would be the point? It doesn’t change anything?

Most people seem to have moved on and are now discussing Britain's best options in the negotiated exit,
I dont see the point in debating old issues or debating why either side did this or that pre referendum.

If you want answers to questions there was a huge thread that discussed nearly every topic in length prior to the vote 984 pages
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...please-keep-it-all-here)&highlight=referendum

No point, but it would have been a bit more relevant to the discussion than your opinion on what set to means.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There has been much confusion around the triggering article 50 question which is unsurprising considering the lack of contingency planning . Some Brexiteers wanted it triggered asap as they don't trust the government to deliver Brexit and some remainers seem to think we are delaying because we are trying to avoid Brexit. It was always likely to be the best option to wait as it is in our national interest to do so.

As you point out the Swiss situation has some bearing on the free movement question. We also need time to establish our red lines,formulate a negotiating strategy and to gather the relevant negotiating expertise before embarking on years of complex political/trade negotiations. But most importantly we are in relatively strong position as the EU can't move forward until we officially start the exit process. We also still have use of our EU veto so could cause considerable problems if provoked.

It does look like the EU were bluffing re single market access = free movement which many of us thought would be the case despite continuously being told the opposite was a 'fact'.

I do not think the EU were bluffing, if we leave and want full free access to the single market, we will have free movement of labour, however, what appears to be on the table is a situation where we can apply the brake that we previously did not use, but was available to all members until 2011 on immigration from the accession countries.

What I am unsure of is if this deal applies, in or out of the EU, is this a "stay and we can do this" offer only?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
really , the only fact we're dealing with is 52% voted to leave the EU
regards
DR

And? We still haven't started the process yet - Article 50 hasn't been invoked, negotiations haven't been started yet...how much simpler do you need it?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wow its in the Argus to it MUST be true as they are the bastion of truth. No way a bunch of Jornos would invent a load of crap to fill what would be blank pages.

Blimey, I didn't realise that falls in business and consumer confidence since the referendum result were dreamt-up by journalists. And to think that this report was invented by newspaper reporters. Thanks for the heads-up.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wow its in the Argus to it MUST be true as they are the bastion of truth. No way a bunch of Jornos would invent a load of crap to fill what would be blank pages.
You do realise the irony of sounding exactly like Gove with his "had enough of experts" line don't you?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The more news that comes out with daily terror attacks across Europe makes me realise the brexit vote was right. Even if it does little directly to improve the safety of our country, if it makes the jokers of merkel & hollande realise they have a serious problem & open borders is a disastrous policy, then it is a job well done & we have done them a favor - sod the economics

D

Deleted member 22389

The more news that comes out with daily terror attacks across Europe makes me realise the brexit vote was right. Even if it does little directly to improve the safety of our country, if it makes the jokers of merkel & hollande realise they have a serious problem & open borders is a disastrous policy, then it is a job well done & we have done them a favor - sod the economics

This was just another reason why I voted Leave. What annoyed me more was the fact Merkel advertised to the world that Germany was open, and when it all started going wrong it seems she worked with the EU to try and force other countries to accept migrant quotas, even though they never asked for this in the first place. I'm glad we voted out of this rotten club. Sooner the likes of Merkel, Hollande and all the other useless pricks move on the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 2719

This was just another reason why I voted Leave. What annoyed me more was the fact Merkel advertised to the world that Germany was open, and when it all started going wrong it seems she worked with the EU to try and force other countries to accept migrant quotas, even though they never asked for this in the first place. I'm glad we voted out of this rotten club. Sooner the likes of Merkel, Hollande and all the other useless pricks move on the better.

Exactly this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Of course Bexit means companies will run away from British shores according to the Remain side ..... except today GlaxoSmithKline ( one of the worlds biggest drugs companies ) are to invest an extra £275m say "Britain is an attractive place to invest despite Brexit".

The predicted doom has still yet to happen ......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course Bexit means companies will run away from British shores according to the Remain side ..... except today GlaxoSmithKline ( one of the worlds biggest drugs companies ) are to invest an extra £275m say "Britain is an attractive place to invest despite Brexit".

Oh dear. Yes, I wonder why Glaxo think the UK is an attractive place to do business.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-banking-group-did-not-paid-any-a6844676.html

These are the kind of deals we'll be doing more and more of, we will basically have to let more companies off paying tax to attract them.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

Despite Brexit, not because of Brexit. We would have been much better off with the status quo, but have to make do with our new handicap as is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here