Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You would have thought if Turkey was never going to join The EU someone important from that organisation would have said so.
Maybe even handed their application back with a "no thanks".

Indeed but the cretinous pro EU sycophants are so used to parroting the anti UK line they don't know which side they are on.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Indeed but the cretinous pro EU sycophants are so used to parroting the anti UK line they don't know which side they are on.

Thanks for the routine insults. I'd expect nothing less. I'm not sure what me being 'anti-UK' or an EU sycophant has to do with the timing of Turkey's possible-but-becoming-less-likely-by-the-day accession to the union though.

On the other thing, you are right. You are always right. I bow to the shared wisdom of JC Footy Genius and Pretty Pink Fairy. What Boris and the UKIP leaflet writers meant when they said Turkey was set to join the EU was that they think it will do some time in the next 70 years or so. No intention of suggesting it was just round the corner. No sir.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Apparently, as ive been informed, people shouldn’t take everything so literally.
Doesn’t matter what is said its all open to interpretation and might not even have been meant in the first place even though it was said…….. this is all dependant on which side you are on of course.

I ended up debating the difference between Fact and Certain with another pedantic poster, becoming pedantic myself in doing so, to my shame. It really did not do anything for the debate, just made us both look like pedantic pricks. You have a similar approach to the thread of trying to score points on semantics, but what you have not said is what sort of time frame you believe Turkey will join the EU within, given the phrase "Turkey are set to join the E.U." and what you know of the stage of the process they are at and conditions they must meet to have a chance of being accepted by the other members, including Greece.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I ended up debating the difference between Fact and Certain with another pedantic poster, becoming pedantic myself in doing so, to my shame. It really did not do anything for the debate, just made us both look like pedantic pricks. You have a similar approach to the thread of trying to score points on semantics, but what you have not said is what sort of time frame you believe Turkey will join the EU within, given the phrase "Turkey are set to join the E.U." and what you know of the stage of the process they are at and conditions they must meet to have a chance of being accepted by the other members, including Greece.

I think Erdogan is probably putting to bed any chance of them joining the EU. He wants a mor Islamic based state

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thanks for the routine insults. I'd expect nothing less. I'm not sure what me being 'anti-UK' or an EU sycophant has to do with the timing of Turkey's possible-but-becoming-less-likely-by-the-day accession to the union though.

On the other thing, you are right. You are always right. I bow to the shared wisdom of JC Footy Genius and Pretty Pink Fairy. What Boris and the UKIP leaflet writers meant when they said Turkey was set to join the EU was that they think it will do some time in the next 70 years or so. No intention of suggesting it was just round the corner. No sir.

Obviously with recent terrorist attacks in Turkey joining the EU has been put on the back burner.
Farage stated before Brexit that there was a meeting on June 30th re Turkey and joining the EU, he was correct, he had also stated that Italy would be looking for a bailout around October time.
Pick your link re EU discussion on Turkey on June 30th, deliberately arranged for after the Brexit vote so as not to get more votes for the Leave campaign.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cqGUV72mBYnW8AeqyILYCQ

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Obviously with recent terrorist attacks in Turkey joining the EU has been put on the back burner.
Farage stated before Brexit that there was a meeting on June 30th re Turkey and joining the EU, he was correct, he had also stated that Italy would be looking for a bailout around October time.
Pick your link re EU discussion on Turkey on June 30th, deliberately arranged for after the Brexit vote so as not to get more votes for the Leave campaign.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cqGUV72mBYnW8AeqyILYCQ

It is sensible to not hold meetings over important matters where the outcome of the meeting may be affected by a side issue. Depends how you want to spin it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The terrorist attacks in Turkey would not in themselves have had any effect on the likelihood of Turkey joining the EU. Most EU countries are positioned against the prospect and some, crucially including Germany and France, firmly so. There are doubts as to whether even Erdogan is serious about joining. It certainly suits the Turkish government's internal agenda to be seen as a potential candidate though which is why we have had these meetings meandering along at a glacial pace for years and years. The latest was on 30th June as you say. It probably did the Remain campaign not much good for this meeting to be postponed until after the vote because it allowed Farage and the tabloids to claim that it would be a significant step towards Turkish membership, which it wasn't. Makes no difference now though, which I suppose was the Leave campaign's strategy.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Routine? I try to use them sparingly and only if deserved .. still blathering on about the veracity of the Leave campaign a month on being one such occasion, your welcome.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You would have thought if Turkey was never going to join The EU someone important from that organisation would have said so.
Maybe even handed their application back with a "no thanks".

to be fair its implied with two countries having a veto they are likely to exercise unless things change dramatically on Cyprus, or with their own member status.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Routine? I try to use them sparingly and only if deserved .. still blathering on about the veracity of the Leave campaign a month on being one such occasion, your welcome.

Fair enough if that's your view, although people are still discussing the details of the build-up to the First World War 100 years later so I'd say it's reasonable to discuss the tactics of the Leave campaign a month after the vote, and before its effects have been ratified.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Plans to allow the United Kingdom an exemption from EU rules on freedom of movement for up to seven years while retaining access to the single market are being considered in European capitals as part of a potential deal on Brexit.

Senior British and EU sources have confirmed that despite strong initial resistance from French president François Hollande in talks with prime minister Theresa May last week, the idea of an emergency brake on the free movement of people that would go far further than the one David Cameron negotiated before the Brexit referendum is being examined.

If such an agreement were struck, and a strict time limit imposed, diplomats believe it could go a long way towards addressing concerns of the British people over immigration from EU states, while allowing the UK full trade access to the European market.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Interesting developments. Is this a last ditch attempt to keep us in the club as a semi detached member?

Also interesting that after being told continually that we can only have 'access' to the single market if we agree to free movement it appears the EU may in reality have a more pragmatic approach. Not sure what would happen after a 7- 10 year period though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Plans to allow the United Kingdom an exemption from EU rules on freedom of movement for up to seven years while retaining access to the single market are being considered in European capitals as part of a potential deal on Brexit.

Senior British and EU sources have confirmed that despite strong initial resistance from French president François Hollande in talks with prime minister Theresa May last week, the idea of an emergency brake on the free movement of people that would go far further than the one David Cameron negotiated before the Brexit referendum is being examined.

If such an agreement were struck, and a strict time limit imposed, diplomats believe it could go a long way towards addressing concerns of the British people over immigration from EU states, while allowing the UK full trade access to the European market.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Interesting developments. Is this a last ditch attempt to keep us in the club as a semi detached member?

Also interesting that after being told continually that we can only have 'access' to the single market if we agree to free movement it appears the EU may in reality have a more pragmatic approach. Not sure what would happen after a 7- 10 year period though.

Yes. It was reported today (for a while) on the radio as 'Boris was right, they will renegociate after we vote leave'. This makes his Oscar-worthy *standing for PM* meltdown even more baffling. Given that, with his an option now, why not then (?), the French could have made it much more likely we would have voted remain had they offered this when Dave went on his mission a while back. So I am as baffled as you. My guess is the *Europeans* have never been sure whether they want us 'in' or not, or what might happen if we voted 'leave'. That's why they didn't do what was necessary to ensure we voted remain. Or maybe Dave did a shit job of negociating. Or a bit of both.

Sorry about the flaming yesterday. I haven't read your no doubt robust rejoinder :cheers:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

This looks like good news, hope it happens.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes. It was reported today (for a while) on the radio as 'Boris was right, they will renegociate after we vote leave'. This makes his Oscar-worthy *standing for PM* meltdown even more baffling. Given that, with his an option now, why not then (?), the French could have made it much more likely we would have voted remain had they offered this when Dave went on his mission a while back. So I am as baffled as you. My guess is the *Europeans* have never been sure whether they want us 'in' or not, or what might happen if we voted 'leave'. That's why they didn't do what was necessary to ensure we voted remain. Or maybe Dave did a shit job of negociating. Or a bit of both.

Sorry about the flaming yesterday. I haven't read your no doubt robust rejoinder :cheers:

I think they liked the access to our wallet but were growing tired of the UK's ongoing reluctance to fully submit to the Superstate project. They also probably didn't realise how real the threat of a Brexit leave vote was. Partly because it was received wisdom Remain would probably win and the EU's/governments usual failing .. disconnection with reality/voters.

The paucity of Cameron's 'substantial' renegotiation also suggests they didn't really think we would leave or they would have made the offers we are getting now back then.

Not at all, I was feeling a bit prickly ( in flaming mode ) yesterday as well as others on this thread would confirm :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here