[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That won't happen. The NHS will continue to be underfunded until it is deemed untenable at which point it will be sold off to "solve the problem". This is now able to happen unhindered. Well done.

Of course it won't ... why would the UK government want to spend anything up to 50 Billion which we would otherwise give to the EU over a 5 year parliament on UK priorities.

I know you have arrived late in these threads (and my doesn't it show) but your ill informed, right wing conspiracy, student politics, trolling style of debate is rather tedious.

Get back to me when you can formulate a grown up argument.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I would agree if there was some sort of plan. Unfortunately the two iconic leaders of the Brexit campaign have jumped ship, the third leader (Gove) has disappeared back to obscurity, and we have a huge political vacuum. This will take years to sort out.

Some sort of plan formulated by who exactly? Contingency plan by the government? As you know the disparate group of Brexiteers were in no position to construct a wide-ranging detailed Brexit manifesto because they were not in power. They were not a government in waiting.

The process of extracting ourselves from the EU was always going to take time as was the political re alignment of British politics. One iconic leader didn't jump he was pushed, one was never going to play a leading role and Gove stepped up but lost in a democratic vote.

Yes we are entering a predictable transition phase which will lead to uncertainty but the political vacuum will be resolved by September and then the negotiations will begin and take a couple of years which was always the set timetable.

D

Deleted member 22389

...and every household is about to be £200 a week better off according to the Leave leaflet in front of me. Can't wait. It's fantastic. And there are going to be more jobs and higher pay. And we won't be taken over an EU army and the NHS won't be privatised. There's good news everywhere.

Honestly if I could genuinely afford it, I would be more than happy to put £10 a month in to an NHS fund every month, if I knew it was going to improve hospitals.

Whatever happened in this referendum we will have to pay more the NHS somewhere down the line. It is underfunded.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...and every household is about to be £200 a week better off according to the Leave leaflet in front of me. Can't wait. It's fantastic. And there are going to be more jobs and higher pay. And we won't be taken over an EU army and the NHS won't be privatised. There's good news everywhere.
I never saw that leaflet. Brilliant news that I'll be £200 a week better off. Time to book that holiday.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Absolutely ridiculous statement driven largely by self loathing and what you WISH was true because of that very same self loathing , of course they care about the UK , we're the 5th biggest economy on the planet you fool.

Based on current exchange rates, which amoungst other things reflect the willinginess for people to hold sterling and UK assets, the UK is the 6th biggest economy "you fool". France has sailed by

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Government responds to the petition

Government responded
The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

The EU Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015. The Act was scrutinised and debated in Parliament during its passage and agreed by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Act set out the terms under which the referendum would take place, including provisions for setting the date, franchise and the question that would appear on the ballot paper. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

As the Prime Minister made clear in his statement to the House of Commons on 27 June, the referendum was one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say. The Prime Minister and Government have been clear that this was a once in a generation vote and, as the Prime Minister has said, the decision must be respected. We must now prepare for the process to exit the EU and the Government is committed to ensuring the best possible outcome for the British people in the negotiations.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Other parliamentary business
Petitions Committee defers decision on this petition
The Committee has decided to defer its decision on this petition until the Government Digital Service has done all it can to verify the signatures on the petition. We have already had to remove 77,000 fraudulent signatures. The Committee wishes to make clear that, although it may choose to schedule a debate on this petition in due course, it only has the power to schedule debates in Westminster Hall – the second debating chamber of the House of Commons. Debates in Westminster Hall do not have the power to change the law, and could not trigger a second referendum.

The Petitions Committee will look at the petition again at its next meeting, on Tuesday 12 July.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We've got an extra £350 million a week going to the NHS?

The NHS wastes too much money. Sorting that out would be a start. My brother in law worked for them being paid £550 a day to try and sort some of it out. You just couldn't believe what he was up against. It's like trying to push a boulder uphill

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

There really is isn't there :mad:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not wonder pensioners wanted out if they thought they were going to be £200 a week better off.

Confession. It was actually £200 a month better off. Even so. And I forgot to mention that the NHS could have collapsed if we'd stayed. Must have swung a few votes.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Speaking in Warsaw today at the NATO summit, President Obama said what everyone in the establishment knows but, mostly, won't yet admit.

"Everybody has an interest in minimising any disruptions as the UK and the EU forge a new relationship," he said. There will be an, "orderly transition".

Of course there will, and it was always going to be so. All that needs to happen -- and it will happen soon enough -- is for everyone to see through the continued scaremongering of the Remain camp.

It is a sad statement about their pettiness of mind, but the establishment -- and this includes the Bank of England, the Treasury, the leading financial media such as The Financial Times etc -- feels so humiliated that it is desperately trying to make economic instability a self-fulfilling prophesy.

They have a certain power to do that, which is why consumer confidence and the value of the pound were bound to suffer a temporary decline.

But it won't last. Markets and the public will soon revert to focusing on the fundamentals.

Indeed, it is amazing how little disruption there has been. The FTSE100 has massively outperformed the DAX and the CAC 40. The wider FTSE250 has performed at more or less the same rate as those two leading Eurozone indices. This is exactly the opposite of what Project Fear predicted.

As for the currency markets -- easily spooked at the best of times -- it's true that the pound has fallen sharply against the dollar. But (quite apart from the obvious boost to exporters) this is mainly a flight to safety. The euro is down against the dollar too.

As for the pound versus the euro, yes it has lost value. But only to levels seen 3 years ago, long before anyone was even talking about a potential Brexit.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/6364/obama_slaps_remain_says_brexit_will_be_orderly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports