Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is what we shall see. The cost may be that instead of getting a rebate of our own money from the EU, then told what we can fund in the communities, perhaps we can use the money that we are not putting in to fund projects of our choice. Just a thought.

Well according to their bus, it was going to the NHS.
If there is any extra cash at the end of all this, they can only spend it once.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
what part of their methodology and findings did you not agree with.

ok,EU migration is around under a 1/2 to 1/3 of all migration
thats not 0.5% though is it

you seem to have shifted the goalposts and added in access to the single market
i guess this is a positive as you now realise saying if we want to trade with the EU we have to accept free movement is factually incorrect

No it doesnt, The pretty picture showed why people voted with a breakdown of labour voters and conservative voters and also( very clearly marked) OVERALL UK voters
i cant help you much if you cant see something thats staring you right in the face.

The number one issue according to this poll was "the principle that decisions about The UK should be taken in The UK"
You see that and read it as the main issue was foreigners.Says quite a lot about you,how entrenched you are with irrational thinking and how you process information

If you read it again, you will see that it says, Free access to the single market will be granted to a country which accepts the four fundamental freedoms of movement of people, goods, services and capital.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The government is grabbing the Brexit bull by the horns
Ross Clark
BRITAIN-POLITICS-GOVERNMENT
Ross Clark

While frustrated Remain campaigners continue to speak of economic Armageddon, a very significant move happened yesterday. Business secretary Sajid Javid flew off to Delhi to begin preliminary negotiations for a trade deal between Britain and India. It is significant because this is exactly the sort of deal that we have been forbidden from doing for the past 43 years. As members of the EU we are forbidden from signing our own trade deals with third countries. Instead, we must rely on deals collectively negotiated with the EU.

Trouble is, the EU isn’t very good at negotiating them. It is painfully slow process because the competing demands of 28 different EU economies must be satisfied. What it means in practice is that freeing up markets in services – a strength of the UK economy – tends to take a back seat to freeing the market in Mercedes. The EU started negotiating a trade deal with India in 2007 but still has nothing to show for it. True, it hasn’t stopped trade between India and the EU growing from 28.6 billion Euros in 2003 to £72.5 billion Euros in 2014 – a reminder that life can go on without trade deals. But if it takes more than nine years to agree a mutual deal to drop tariff and other barriers to trade there is something wrong. With India now the world’s fastest-growing economy – at 7.9 per cent last year – the country ought to be a priority.

One of the areas which Javid will want to work on is telecoms. India has already agreed in principle to open its telecoms sector to companies with 100 per cent foreign ownership. Another of particular interest to Britain is insurance, which India has also suggested it will open to up to foreign competition. The outsourcing of call centres by the UK to India has often been depicted as being negative for employment in Britain – even though it has reduced costs and therefore prices for consumers (and it hasn’t stopped UK employment growing inexorably). We should soon see another advantage – insurance and other financial service companies which already have a foothold in India via call centres and other backroom services may soon find very profitable markets there, given India’s rapidly growing middle class.

Whatever people think of Brexit now, attitudes will shift markedly if Britain ends up with a trade deal with India before the EU can manage it. That is, after all, what Switzerland has managed to do with Japan. While the government appears to be preoccupied with a leadership crisis, in dispatching Sajid Javid to India it is showing signs that it knows what it needs to do in order to grab the Brexit bull by the horns.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/government-grabbing-brexit-bull-horns/

I would not say that Sajid Javed flying off to begin preliminay talks for a trade deal is particularly thrilling good news. Not that it is bad news, just well, he has gone for a chat, what is said might be bad news, or great news.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I won't give you the details because you have already made it clear that you think you know them, but it involves setting up two companies to operate between the UK and two other EU countries. In addition, many of our family have an emotional attachment to the themes of Churchill's Amsterdam speech of the late 40s.

I don't understand at all, never mind, I tried.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The 0.5% is the proportion of people currently in Britain that have come in from the E.U.

this makes even less sense than he did
there are around 2.9/3 million people from Europe living in the UK,thats around 5% of the population

If you read it again, you will see that it says, Free access to the single market will be granted to a country which accepts the four fundamental freedoms of movement of people, goods, services and capital.

thats an upgrade from his original which was

"If we want to trade with the EU (which we will need to) they have said they will only do it with free movement of people"

which is factually incorrect as countries trade with the EU from all over the world,where free movement plays no part

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The 0.5% is the proportion of people currently in Britain that have come in from the E.U.

its 5%. not sure what the problem is with decimal points some people have on this issue, its 5% of the population from he EU and just under 50% of immigrants each year are from EU. dont know why some remainers seem to talk it down when there are patently millions of europeans in the country.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
1. NO! less than 50% is from the EU, maybe fractionally however it is LESS than half of all immigration.

2. Merkal has said we will have to allowed free movement of people if we want favorable trading rules with the EU.

So you agree it's not 0.5%? I.e. that you were way off?

Favourable trading =\= trading.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Some people need to stop watching the BBC.
Staying in the EU will be much more painful in the long term. The status Quo was not on the ballot paper. This institution is dying at a rapid pace.

Some people on here remind me of a relative of mine who was in an abusive relationship with a wealthy partner. He abused her often but bought her gifts and showered her with money. She thought he would change and dreaded leaving the lifestyle. She finally had the courage to leave and spent 3 years living in crappy rented accommodation, no job and no friends left. Now she is a small business owner and absolutely self sufficient. She can't believe she stayed in the marriage for so long.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sounds like "your relative" did well. Not sure what that has to do with this issue though, analogy is so weak

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
its 5%. not sure what the problem is with decimal points some people have on this issue, its 5% of the population from he EU and just under 50% of immigrants each year are from EU. dont know why some remainers seem to talk it down when there are patently millions of europeans in the country.

Thank God there are - they are (almost without exception) working their socks off, and helping to make Britain a better place. We will all be poorer when they disappear off home.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
This is what we shall see. The cost may be that instead of getting a rebate of our own money from the EU, then told what we can fund in the communities, perhaps we can use the money that we are not putting in to fund projects of our choice. Just a thought.

I am absolutely certain that by leaving the EU we will not 'save' any money. The money we will save on membership fee will go to a Single Market fee. This is without any of the benefits of full membership, i.e EU funding for deprived areas. You can call me out on this in a year if it unfolds any differently but I'm certain it won't. Areas which lose out from loss of membership will not have those funds replaced.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
this makes even less sense than he did
there are around 2.9/3 million people from Europe living in the UK,thats around 5% of the population

thats an upgrade from his original which was

"If we want to trade with the EU (which we will need to) they have said they will only do it with free movement of people"

which is factually incorrect as countries trade with the EU from all over the world,where free movement plays no part

Yeah, but you and I know, that he knows the difference and you are just being a bit pedantic.

Where did you get the figures of 3 Millionish?
Edit- found it. Apologies, you are correct.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Absolutely ridiculous statement driven largely by self loathing and what you WISH was true because of that very same self loathing , of course they care about the UK , we're the 5th biggest economy on the planet you fool.

Sorry bud, we've slipped to the 6th biggest since Brexit

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sorry bud, we've slipped to the 6th biggest since Brexit

You're right. And I've never quite understood this obsessing about the size of the economy anyway. It means we're a big market but it certainly doesn't relate to financial wellbeing or individual prosperity.

Take two households in my village. Down on the big estate, two fifty-year-olds, both working. Three grown up children, one on the dole and one with a live in partner. Total income including benefits say £90,000, spend slightly more, debts increasing, rented house, assets maybe £10k maximum. Then our near neighbours. Two retired sisters. Lovely old Georgian house plus a flat in East Anglia. Income - pensions and investments - I'd guess about £50k, spend certainly under that. Assets not less than £1.5m.

Unless I'm wrong, Mr & Mrs Housing Association would be regarded as having the bigger economy. It doesn't prove much.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We've got an extra £350 million a week going to the NHS?

...and every household is about to be £200 a week better off according to the Leave leaflet in front of me. Can't wait. It's fantastic. And there are going to be more jobs and higher pay. And we won't be taken over an EU army and the NHS won't be privatised. There's good news everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here