Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The LibDems. Can only imagine that they’ve estimated the loss of hard core Brexiteeers in marginals eg in the SW would cost them a load of seats?

Only just noticed the merge of threads :lol:

When I logged off yesterday evening it was approx 50 for joining the single market and 2 against. When I logged on this morning, it had been merged. It would have been interesting to have seen the numbers (and the whole reason for the poll), but I guess not for some, hence the desperation for the merge :lolol:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I logged off yesterday evening it was approx 50 for joining the single market and 2 against. When I logged on this morning, it had been merged. It would have been interesting to have seen the numbers prior to the thread getting merged, but I guess not for some, hence the desperation for the merge :lolol:

NSC wanting to move on from the subject, it appears reflects what the political parties and much of the Remain voting public think. I suppose positive thinking and not wanting to be dragged down by a sea of ‘bad news’ stories.

Which is good news for Farage, Banks and the ERG, on a macro level this helps cement Brexit for a long, long time.

Whilst I’ve had a personal resurgence in being very interested. Comparative investment stats post the vote are shocking, whilst I know young people who’d love to start a new life in the EU who can’t.

It may take 2 or 3 parliaments and a fresher voting population to get the EU entry issue back on the agenda!

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Its the Lib Dems that have me perplexed, why aren't they asking for customs unions as a starting point? I don't get get, would they lose a single existing vote if this policy was introduced?

As for young people, with Europe closed they moving to Australia in their droves largely on the back of Truss's terrible trade deal, that includes our increasingly jaded doctors and nurses.
I’m seeing dozens of job adverts urging Brit trades, professionals, police officers etc to move to Australia.

Half tempted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
NSC wanting to move on from the subject, it appears reflects what the political parties and much of the Remain voting public think. I suppose positive thinking and not wanting to be dragged down by a sea of ‘bad news’ stories.

Which is good news for Farage, Banks and the ERG, on a macro level this helps cement Brexit for a long, long time.

Whilst I’ve had a personal resurgence in being very interested. Comparative investment stats post the vote are shocking, whilst I know young people who’d love to start a new life in the EU who can’t.

It may take 2 or 3 parliaments and a fresher voting population to get the EU entry issue back on the agenda!

The idea that we should 'move on' from something stupid we did 8 years ago I can understand, and probably a major factor in why so many were taken in by Johnson's 'Get Brexit Done' farce.

But as was said at the time, it is a process which will continue for decades and continue introducing fresh problems for ourselves daily as constantly highlighted on this thread until a halt is called.

It seems that people are so desperate to 'move on' that they have given carte blanche to continue introducing new ways of hammering Britain's economy, infrastructure, cost of living, businesses etc, on a daily basis and as can be seen from the last few hours, get very angry if you suggest that something could be done about it :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The idea that we should 'move on' from something stupid we did 8 years ago I can understand, and probably a major factor in why so many were taken in by Johnson's 'Get Brexit Done' farce.

But as was said at the time, it is a process which will continue for decades and continue introducing fresh problems for ourselves daily as constantly highlighted on this thread until a halt is called.

It seems that people are so desperate to 'move on' that they have given carte blanche to continue introducing new ways of hammering Britain's economy, infrastructure, cost of living, businesses etc, on a daily basis and as can be seen from the last few hours, get very angry if you suggest that something could be done about it :shrug:
Two things have changed since 2016

a) Brexit to date has shown few tangible benefits.

b) Brexiteers have died off and the younger generation are not replacing them.

The dial is moving every year. If the Tories get destroyed at the GE and end up in the wilderness don't rule them out coming back as the rejoin party at some point in the future.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

a) Brexit to date have shows few tangible benefits.

The dial is moving every year. If the Tories get destroyed at the GE and end up in the wilderness don't rule them out coming back as the rejoin party at some point in the future.

I'm not actually that bothered about re-joining as we could never get close to the deal politicians of all colours had managed to negotiate over the previous 40 years. We will only ever be a minor economic power in Europe now and that's something we just have to live with.

However continuing trying to operate outside of the biggest trading bloc in the world, that resides right on our doorstep and everyone is desperate to join, is f***ing over our economy on an ongoing and increasing basis. It's as if we have learnt absolutely nothing from the last few years idiocy :shrug:

Funnily enough, a few years back I had a bet with someone who is in the Westminster bubble when they said that the Tories would be first to go for re-join. I'm not as confident that my money is safe as I was at the time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

a) Brexit to date have shows few tangible benefits.

Possibly because in general I like clarity, I'd like to see a single anti-EU party, containing all the politicians within the Tory and Reform parties. Its voters would come from a wide swathe of the population (it really is very unrepresentative in Brighton/Hove/London), but at best would number one third.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/987347/brexit-opinion-poll/

It would kind of end EU infighting which would do the UK some good when you think of the big picture.

That one third wouldn't deliver many seats, certainly miles off 326.

Leaving the two thirds to support overtly pro EU parties.

The problem for everyone just now is the coup d'etat of the Tory party. In the mid 90's Redwood and Cash were the outliers, now their ilk dominate.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
View attachment 178979

The question was simple. In 2024 would you join the EU Single market ? Nothing more, nothing less.

The overwhelming result of the poll will never be seen, it's been merged with the ignored thread so you can now go back to your echo chamber, completely untroubled by the effects you've had on millions of lives :thumbsup:
OK - I'll bite despite not having posted on the Brexit thread for ages. The question you posed was "Should the UK join the EU Single Market ?" - when challenged on that you changed it to "What should be done to revive the British economy ?" - two entirely different questions.

Now I know your arrogance of being 'proven right about Brexit' - in your own mind - overrides any sensible debate but you do constantly take swipes at people in completely Brexit unrelated threads - YOU are the one that introduces it. You've even turned people like @Simster against yourself because of your utter infatuation with Brexit - and @Simster and myself are polls apart when it comes to Brexit but him calling you a prick does somewhat ring true. Really, just leave your Brexit comments to this Brexit thread - someone with the intelligence you seem to think you have must understand that ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK - I'll bite despite not having posted on the Brexit thread for ages. The question you posed was "Should the UK join the EU Single Market ?" - when challenged on that you changed it to "What should be done to revive the British economy ?" - two entirely different questions.

Now I know your arrogance of being 'proven right about Brexit' - in your own mind - overrides any sensible debate but you do constantly take swipes at people in completely Brexit unrelated threads - YOU are the one that introduces it. You've even turned people like @Simster against yourself because of your utter infatuation with Brexit - and @Simster and myself are polls apart when it comes to Brexit but him calling you a prick does somewhat ring true. Really, just leave your Brexit comments to this Brexit thread - someone with the intelligence you seem to think you have must understand that ?

The question was 'Should the UK join the EU Single Market ?' and it didn't change :shrug:

Here's the post

Of course, this can no longer be proven as someone was whining about the poll even existing and hassling the mods to merge it, which they then did, losing both the question and the poll results :facepalm:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I just merged the threads, I changed nothing else. It was done of my own volition, not due to any hassling.

Sorry to disappoint you WZ, but NSC poll results are not in any way legally binding on a government, nor does any thread being merged or not have any bearing on the UK economy.

The merge simply means that we have one thread for discussion of all this, not two.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just merged the threads, I changed nothing else. It was done of my own volition, not due to any hassling.

Sorry to disappoint you WZ, but NSC poll results are not in any way legally binding on a government, nor does any thread being merged or not have any bearing on the UK economy.

The merge simply means that we have one thread for discussion of all this, not two.

Nothing against @WZ :smile: but I like that. A one-stop shop for Brexit chat.

This applies to wherever multiple threads on the same subject apply.

@WZ I get your point of view ... you were seeking an up to date litmus test.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Fascinating don’t you think that in the most his polls are always public… he gets to see who voted what

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Unfortunately each time a poll is merged into the Brexit thread, it 'deletes' the poll question and results automatically. And I'm exceedingly disappointed to discover NSC polls aren't legally binding on the Government or Economy, as it would undoubtedly make Britain a far better place.

I thought I would be able to check the poll results this morning before they disappeared, after this last night
I'll give it 12 hours before I have to merge this with the Brexit thread because it's descended into the same tedious twats having the same tedious arguments they've been having for years.
:wink:

but no worries :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I agree completely with the principal of the Brexit thread keeping all discussion in one place, but it hasn't been possible to run a poll (or litmus test) on anything that could be related to any aspect of the referendum for some years now :shrug:

Maybe it's too soon :lolol:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree completely with the principal of the Brexit thread keeping all discussion in one place, but it hasn't been possible to run a poll (or litmus test) on anything that could be related to any aspect of the referendum for some years now :shrug:

Maybe it's too soon :lolol:

I feel its reflective of the mood, the nation has its head in the sand, its done and hopefully somehow it will all come good in the end. A sort of stiff upper lip, a Cognitive dissonance, mustn't grumble stance.

Well, all I see divestment from the UK, a nation that has become less trade intensive, falling tax revenues, declining living standards and crumbling infrastructure.

There are a few winners but they are at the margins. Its young people that have well and truly been stitched up, the polling for the Tories says it all

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel its reflective of the mood, the nation has its head in the sand, its done and hopefully somehow it will all come good in the end. A sort of stiff upper lip, a Cognitive dissonance, mustn't grumble stance.

Well, all I see divestment from the UK, a nation that has become less trade intensive, falling tax revenues, declining living standards and crumbling infrastructure.

There are a few winners but they are at the margins. Its young people that have well and truly been stitched up, the polling for the Tories says it all

It’s almost unbelievable that we’re just 20 miles from the second largest economic area on the planet, yet not seamlessly part of it anymore. The EU have suffered from this too, losing effortless trade/resource sharing with our major economy.

I can see why Remainers have moved on. With a lack of interest from Labour/LibDems, it’s going to take literally an age to get a consensus on a new vote and then we’d need all EU members to want us back.

There are millions of Brits who upped sticks under freedom of movement to live almost anywhere they could afford to throughout the continent, a load of nsc’ers did that. That wonderful opportunity has been taken away from newbies. Some chance their arm by staying illegally, but countries such as France have a variety of bureaucratic measures to catch them out.

We holiday a fair amount. The new passport queues thing in the EU is still hard to get used to, self inflicted madness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here